networking print sharing not working

garry

networking print sharing not working
I have set up a home network using a wireless D-LINK router connected to a hp
desktop pc and a hp laptop both can connect to the internet fine and can be
seen in the network map. I can get files off the laptop onto the desk top but
when i try to set up the printing from the laptop or get files from the desk
top by clicking on the icon in the network window I get an error saying
"windows cannot access desktop pc check the spelling of the name". When i
click on diagnose, it says "windows sent the request to the DNS server and
the server responded that the name was unknown". Both are set up in the same
workgroup and all print shareing settings are turned on. If anyone can help
that wouldd be great, I am just learning about networking so it is probably
something i have done or not done. thanks
--
infohungry
DirtyDawg

Re: networking print sharing not working
If I understand your post correctly, you are experiencing the difficulty
when trying to do things with the wireless setup with your printer. I've
had a little bit of trouble myself and hopefully I can help you out. I
found that when setting up a wireless connection for a printer, you HAVE to
use a physical connection initially, and then disconnect ONLY when the setup
file tells you to. In my situation, until I did that I had difficulty even
setting it up for ANY computer on my wireless LAN. If it's a situation
where you already have it set up ok and you can send print jobs from other
computers and only 1 computer you're having trouble with, then I would say
you've made a mistake in setting that 1 computer up on your LAN. It could
be the network name is different somehow or something similar to that. Or
it could also be something in Vista security setup.

"garry" <garry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have set up a home network using a wireless D-LINK router connected to a
>hp
> desktop pc and a hp laptop both can connect to the internet fine and can
> be
> seen in the network map. I can get files off the laptop onto the desk top
> but
> when i try to set up the printing from the laptop or get files from the
> desk
> top by clicking on the icon in the network window I get an error saying
> "windows cannot access desktop pc check the spelling of the name". When i
> click on diagnose, it says "windows sent the request to the DNS server and
> the server responded that the name was unknown". Both are set up in the
> same
> workgroup and all print shareing settings are turned on. If anyone can
> help
> that wouldd be great, I am just learning about networking so it is
> probably
> something i have done or not done. thanks
> --
> infohungry

garry

Re: networking print sharing not working
Thanks but the printer is set up and working fine from the desktop pc, im
sure its in the setup but i cannot see where.
--
infohungry

"DirtyDawg" wrote:

> If I understand your post correctly, you are experiencing the difficulty
> when trying to do things with the wireless setup with your printer. I've
> had a little bit of trouble myself and hopefully I can help you out. I
> found that when setting up a wireless connection for a printer, you HAVE to
> use a physical connection initially, and then disconnect ONLY when the setup
> file tells you to. In my situation, until I did that I had difficulty even
> setting it up for ANY computer on my wireless LAN. If it's a situation
> where you already have it set up ok and you can send print jobs from other
> computers and only 1 computer you're having trouble with, then I would say
> you've made a mistake in setting that 1 computer up on your LAN. It could
> be the network name is different somehow or something similar to that. Or
> it could also be something in Vista security setup.
>

> "garry" <garry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have set up a home network using a wireless D-LINK router connected to a
> >hp
> > desktop pc and a hp laptop both can connect to the internet fine and can
> > be
> > seen in the network map. I can get files off the laptop onto the desk top
> > but
> > when i try to set up the printing from the laptop or get files from the
> > desk
> > top by clicking on the icon in the network window I get an error saying
> > "windows cannot access desktop pc check the spelling of the name". When i
> > click on diagnose, it says "windows sent the request to the DNS server and
> > the server responded that the name was unknown". Both are set up in the
> > same
> > workgroup and all print shareing settings are turned on. If anyone can
> > help
> > that wouldd be great, I am just learning about networking so it is
> > probably
> > something i have done or not done. thanks
> > --
> > infohungry

DirtyDawg

Re: networking print sharing not working
Ok, your desktop works fine with it. Most desktops though do not use a
wireless connection. You're having difficulty with the wireless aspect
of it right? Does your desktop have a wireless connection?