Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Problem w/ Networking

microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 06-14-2008
Zintain
 

Posts: n/a
Problem w/ Networking
I have a 3 computer network set up at my home, and two of the computers are
communicating flawlessly. One is Vista, and the other is XP. However, I
just purchased a new laptop and tried to get it to connect to the network and
it does, it sees both the other computers on the network and can access them
both, however, the old computers can see it on the network, but every time
you try to access that computer through the network view, it gives the
following message "xxxxx is not accessible. You might not have permission to
use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find
out if you have access permissions." I don't know how to fix this. The
other computer that I have on this same network that is also running Vista
has no problem allowing any of the other computers to log into it and even
asks for a user name and password before allowing any further, but for some
reason, the laptop will not allow anything. Any fix ideas?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 06-14-2008
Mick Murphy
 

Posts: n/a
RE: Problem w/ Networking
Have a read of what is below!

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb727037.aspx

Have a read of the above link re Vista File and Printer Sharing.

Permissions/Share info is there as well.

If using Norton, McAfee, Trend Micro I.S., make sure file and printer
sharing is enabled in THEIR firewall (or LAN allowed, depending on how their
Exceptions are worded in their Firewall)

1st thing to do is make sure that the Workgroup Name of ALL the computers is
the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

Network Discovery: ON (So it can see the other computers)

Network set to Private (Public is for hotspots, airports, etc)

File Sharing: ON

Public Folder Sharing: ON (Vista’s Public Folder is the same as XP’s Shared
Docs)

Password Protected: OFF (unless you want to set up identical usernames and
passwords (passwords can be different) on ALL computers in your Network) If
you have it ON, you will be asked for a username and password when you try to
access a Vista computer from an XP computer, or a Vista computer.

Also, run the XP’s Home or Small Office Network File and Printer Sharing
Wizard to include Vista in your “New” Network, even if you had an XP Network
set up prior to adding a Vista computer to it(redoing the Wizard seems to
work for XP machines!).

In “My Network Places”: “Set up a Home or Small Office Network”
OR under Accessories > Communications > Network Setup Wizard > Allow File
and Printer Sharing.

--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia


"Zintain" wrote:

> I have a 3 computer network set up at my home, and two of the computers are
> communicating flawlessly. One is Vista, and the other is XP. However, I
> just purchased a new laptop and tried to get it to connect to the network and
> it does, it sees both the other computers on the network and can access them
> both, however, the old computers can see it on the network, but every time
> you try to access that computer through the network view, it gives the
> following message "xxxxx is not accessible. You might not have permission to
> use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find
> out if you have access permissions." I don't know how to fix this. The
> other computer that I have on this same network that is also running Vista
> has no problem allowing any of the other computers to log into it and even
> asks for a user name and password before allowing any further, but for some
> reason, the laptop will not allow anything. Any fix ideas?

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 06-15-2008
Zintain
 

Posts: n/a
RE: Problem w/ Networking
Thank you Mick, you helped me fix it....I couldn't figure out how to turn off
the password part in the Networking on Vista, but thanks to your reply I
figured it out! Thanks for your help


"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> Have a read of what is below!
>
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb727037.aspx
>
> Have a read of the above link re Vista File and Printer Sharing.
>
> Permissions/Share info is there as well.
>
> If using Norton, McAfee, Trend Micro I.S., make sure file and printer
> sharing is enabled in THEIR firewall (or LAN allowed, depending on how their
> Exceptions are worded in their Firewall)
>
> 1st thing to do is make sure that the Workgroup Name of ALL the computers is
> the SAME.
>
> In Vista Network and Sharing:
>
> Network Discovery: ON (So it can see the other computers)
>
> Network set to Private (Public is for hotspots, airports, etc)
>
> File Sharing: ON
>
> Public Folder Sharing: ON (Vista’s Public Folder is the same as XP’s Shared
> Docs)
>
> Password Protected: OFF (unless you want to set up identical usernames and
> passwords (passwords can be different) on ALL computers in your Network) If
> you have it ON, you will be asked for a username and password when you try to
> access a Vista computer from an XP computer, or a Vista computer.
>
> Also, run the XP’s Home or Small Office Network File and Printer Sharing
> Wizard to include Vista in your “New” Network, even if you had an XP Network
> set up prior to adding a Vista computer to it(redoing the Wizard seems to
> work for XP machines!).
>
> In “My Network Places”: “Set up a Home or Small Office Network”
> OR under Accessories > Communications > Network Setup Wizard > Allow File
> and Printer Sharing.
>
> --
> Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia
>
>
> "Zintain" wrote:
>
> > I have a 3 computer network set up at my home, and two of the computers are
> > communicating flawlessly. One is Vista, and the other is XP. However, I
> > just purchased a new laptop and tried to get it to connect to the network and
> > it does, it sees both the other computers on the network and can access them
> > both, however, the old computers can see it on the network, but every time
> > you try to access that computer through the network view, it gives the
> > following message "xxxxx is not accessible. You might not have permission to
> > use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find
> > out if you have access permissions." I don't know how to fix this. The
> > other computer that I have on this same network that is also running Vista
> > has no problem allowing any of the other computers to log into it and even
> > asks for a user name and password before allowing any further, but for some
> > reason, the laptop will not allow anything. Any fix ideas?

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 06-15-2008
Mick Murphy
 

Posts: n/a
RE: Problem w/ Networking
Thx for your reply. You're very welcome!
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia


"Zintain" wrote:

> Thank you Mick, you helped me fix it....I couldn't figure out how to turn off
> the password part in the Networking on Vista, but thanks to your reply I
> figured it out! Thanks for your help
>
>
> "Mick Murphy" wrote:
>
> > Have a read of what is below!
> >
> > http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb727037.aspx
> >
> > Have a read of the above link re Vista File and Printer Sharing.
> >
> > Permissions/Share info is there as well.
> >
> > If using Norton, McAfee, Trend Micro I.S., make sure file and printer
> > sharing is enabled in THEIR firewall (or LAN allowed, depending on how their
> > Exceptions are worded in their Firewall)
> >
> > 1st thing to do is make sure that the Workgroup Name of ALL the computers is
> > the SAME.
> >
> > In Vista Network and Sharing:
> >
> > Network Discovery: ON (So it can see the other computers)
> >
> > Network set to Private (Public is for hotspots, airports, etc)
> >
> > File Sharing: ON
> >
> > Public Folder Sharing: ON (Vista’s Public Folder is the same as XP’s Shared
> > Docs)
> >
> > Password Protected: OFF (unless you want to set up identical usernames and
> > passwords (passwords can be different) on ALL computers in your Network) If
> > you have it ON, you will be asked for a username and password when you try to
> > access a Vista computer from an XP computer, or a Vista computer.
> >
> > Also, run the XP’s Home or Small Office Network File and Printer Sharing
> > Wizard to include Vista in your “New” Network, even if you had an XP Network
> > set up prior to adding a Vista computer to it(redoing the Wizard seems to
> > work for XP machines!).
> >
> > In “My Network Places”: “Set up a Home or Small Office Network”
> > OR under Accessories > Communications > Network Setup Wizard > Allow File
> > and Printer Sharing.
> >
> > --
> > Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia
> >
> >
> > "Zintain" wrote:
> >
> > > I have a 3 computer network set up at my home, and two of the computers are
> > > communicating flawlessly. One is Vista, and the other is XP. However, I
> > > just purchased a new laptop and tried to get it to connect to the network and
> > > it does, it sees both the other computers on the network and can access them
> > > both, however, the old computers can see it on the network, but every time
> > > you try to access that computer through the network view, it gives the
> > > following message "xxxxx is not accessible. You might not have permission to
> > > use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find
> > > out if you have access permissions." I don't know how to fix this. The
> > > other computer that I have on this same network that is also running Vista
> > > has no problem allowing any of the other computers to log into it and even
> > > asks for a user name and password before allowing any further, but for some
> > > reason, the laptop will not allow anything. Any fix ideas?

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
networking problem vignesh microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 2 06-07-2007 21:59
Networking Problem Jim microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 3 05-29-2007 21:56
Networking Problem - Need a little help =?Utf-8?B?S2VpdGg=?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 5 03-28-2007 02:55
Networking Problem - Please Help =?Utf-8?B?ZHp5bmNoaWNr?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 1 02-13-2007 08:52
Networking problem =?Utf-8?B?ZG9uc18xOTUz?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 1 02-06-2007 23:16




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:31.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120