Cannot backup a pst file over a home network

Jeff Ingman

Cannot backup a pst file over a home network
New Dell PC
Running Vista, Office 2007 & Nornton Internet Security
Am trying to backup Outlook 2007 pst file from one computer to another on
our network.

I can copy and paste any other file from the originating computer to the
destination folder without a problem. (Sharing is enabled.)

But I cannot use the Outlook backup procedure, nor can I simply copy the pst
file and paste it to the destination folder over the network.

When I attempt a backup or a copy/paste (with Outlook closed) I get the same
reaction. The "wheels turn" for about 60seconds then an error message pops up
saying "There is a problem accessing [path and pst file name]".

I checked Task Manager and verified Outlook.exe is not open. Some how it is
glued in place. But I can copy/paste it to a folder on the same machine. I
just can't move it over the network.

I posted a description of this issue on the Outlook forum but no one has
come up with a solution.

Jeff

Kerry Liles

Re: Cannot backup a pst file over a home network
"Jeff Ingman" <JeffIngman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> New Dell PC
> Running Vista, Office 2007 & Nornton Internet Security
> Am trying to backup Outlook 2007 pst file from one computer to another on
> our network.
>
> I can copy and paste any other file from the originating computer to the
> destination folder without a problem. (Sharing is enabled.)
>
> But I cannot use the Outlook backup procedure, nor can I simply copy the
> pst
> file and paste it to the destination folder over the network.
>
> When I attempt a backup or a copy/paste (with Outlook closed) I get the
> same
> reaction. The "wheels turn" for about 60seconds then an error message pops
> up
> saying "There is a problem accessing [path and pst file name]".
>
> I checked Task Manager and verified Outlook.exe is not open. Some how it
> is
> glued in place. But I can copy/paste it to a folder on the same machine. I
> just can't move it over the network.
>
> I posted a description of this issue on the Outlook forum but no one has
> come up with a solution.
>
> Jeff

I presume your pst file is likely a large file? There were issues related to
Vista and copying large files - perhaps if it involved a network share, but
I am fuzzy on the details... As I recall, those were issues addressed by
Vista SP1 - are you running SP1 of Vista?

Perhaps seaching the MS Knowledgebase with "vista file copy network timeout"
will cough up something concrete...
Sorry I can't recall where I read this or whether it is an accurate
recollection.

HTH

Kerry Liles

Re: Cannot backup a pst file over a home network
"Jeff Ingman" <JeffIngman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> New Dell PC
> Running Vista, Office 2007 & Nornton Internet Security
> Am trying to backup Outlook 2007 pst file from one computer to another on
> our network.
>
> I can copy and paste any other file from the originating computer to the
> destination folder without a problem. (Sharing is enabled.)
>
> But I cannot use the Outlook backup procedure, nor can I simply copy the
> pst
> file and paste it to the destination folder over the network.
>
> When I attempt a backup or a copy/paste (with Outlook closed) I get the
> same
> reaction. The "wheels turn" for about 60seconds then an error message pops
> up
> saying "There is a problem accessing [path and pst file name]".
>
> I checked Task Manager and verified Outlook.exe is not open. Some how it
> is
> glued in place. But I can copy/paste it to a folder on the same machine. I
> just can't move it over the network.
>
> I posted a description of this issue on the Outlook forum but no one has
> come up with a solution.
>
> Jeff

Try this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932045/en-us

Jeff Ingman

Re: Cannot backup a pst file over a home network
Kerry...

The pst file I want to back up is 295,600 KB. But the link you offered does
not fit the issue I'm having.

The article is entitled - Error message when you use a network connection to
copy a large file from one Windows Vista-based computer to another Windows
Vista-based computer: "The connection has been lost"

I'm backing up from a Vista machine to an XP machine and I do not get the
"The connection has been lost" error message.

I don't know if my problem is due to the size of the PST file but this seems
unlikely to me.

jeff

> Kerry...
>
> The pst file I want to back up is 295,600 KB. But the link you offered
> does
> not fit the issue I'm having.
>
> The article is entitled - Error message when you use a network connection
> copy a large file from one Windows Vista-based computer to another Windows
> Vista-based computer: "The connection has been lost"
>
> I'm backing up from a Vista machine to an XP machine and I do not get the
> "The connection has been lost" error message.
>
> I don't know if my problem is due to the size of the PST file but this
> seems
> unlikely to me.
>
> jeff
>
> "Kerry Liles" wrote:
>
>> "Jeff Ingman" <JeffIngman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > New Dell PC
>> > Running Vista, Office 2007 & Nornton Internet Security
>> > Am trying to backup Outlook 2007 pst file from one computer to another
>> > on
>> > our network.
>> >
>> > I can copy and paste any other file from the originating computer to
>> > the
>> > destination folder without a problem. (Sharing is enabled.)
>> >
>> > But I cannot use the Outlook backup procedure, nor can I simply copy
>> > the
>> > pst
>> > file and paste it to the destination folder over the network.
>> >
>> > When I attempt a backup or a copy/paste (with Outlook closed) I get the
>> > same
>> > reaction. The "wheels turn" for about 60seconds then an error message
>> > pops
>> > up
>> > saying "There is a problem accessing [path and pst file name]".
>> >
>> > I checked Task Manager and verified Outlook.exe is not open. Some how
>> > it
>> > is
>> > glued in place. But I can copy/paste it to a folder on the same
>> > machine. I
>> > just can't move it over the network.
>> >
>> > I posted a description of this issue on the Outlook forum but no one
>> > has
>> > come up with a solution.
>> >
>> > Jeff
>> >

>> Try this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932045/en-us

That article supposedly includes 3 different error messages one of which (I
thought) was exactly what you were getting: "There is a problem accessing
*shared folder path*" (see description called 'Error message 2')

Anyway, this and several problems concerning file copying were fixed/changed
in SP1 for Vista.... are you running SP1 of Vista? If you are, all of this
is moot I guess.

Jeff Ingman

Re: Cannot backup a pst file over a home network
Kerry...

That would be a yes on Vista SP1. I don't know where else to turn.

Odd thing - this is my wife's desktop computer and pst file. She also has a
laptop running Vista. She was using that as her principle computer until
recently.

She had no similar problem backing up her pst file from the laptop as are
trying to accomplish now.

jeff

"Kerry Liles" wrote:

> "Jeff Ingman" <JeffIngman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Kerry...
> >
> > The pst file I want to back up is 295,600 KB. But the link you offered
> > does
> > not fit the issue I'm having.
> >
> > The article is entitled - Error message when you use a network connection
> > copy a large file from one Windows Vista-based computer to another Windows
> > Vista-based computer: "The connection has been lost"
> >
> > I'm backing up from a Vista machine to an XP machine and I do not get the
> > "The connection has been lost" error message.
> >
> > I don't know if my problem is due to the size of the PST file but this
> > seems
> > unlikely to me.
> >
> > jeff
> >
> > "Kerry Liles" wrote:
> >
> >> "Jeff Ingman" <JeffIngman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >> Try this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932045/en-us
> >>

> That article supposedly includes 3 different error messages one of which (I
> thought) was exactly what you were getting: "There is a problem accessing
> *shared folder path*" (see description called 'Error message 2')
>
> Anyway, this and several problems concerning file copying were fixed/changed
> in SP1 for Vista.... are you running SP1 of Vista? If you are, all of this
> is moot I guess.

Kerry Liles

Re: Cannot backup a pst file over a home network
ouch, that bites then.

One thing that comes to mind is that when you shutdown Outlook, sometimes
some piece of it may remain and may hold the .pst file open... I would try
to make a local copy of the .pst file and then try to copy the copy... Just
a thought.

Good luck - this is a bit of a head scratcher for sure.

news72714BC-6520-4498-B550-26834EC5C05D@microsoft.com...