Wireless Network needs reconnecting each time Vista starts

Jim

Wireless Network needs reconnecting each time Vista starts
Hi,

I've set up a wireless network. Whenever I start Windows or remove the
adapter and reconnect it, Windows Vista cannot re-establish the connection
automatically. It was working fine till recently. But not any more. On the
router I've disabled SSID and from what I can understand vista or the adapter
isn't broadcasting to re-establish that connection. Under Manage wireless
networks I have the SSID appearing three times ie: MyWirelessNet ,
MyWirelessNet 2, MyWirelessNet 3. In the properties of these, the connection
settings are all checked. I wont to correct this problem without having to
broadcast the SSID on the router.

Thank you,
Jim
Sooner Al [MVP]

Re: Wireless Network needs reconnecting each time Vista starts
Why are you not broadcasting the SSID? Its not a valid security measure and
causes issues with connectivity.

If you properly secure your wireless network with WPA2/WPA and use a long
random key your safe. I use WPA-PSK [AES] and a 63-character random ASCII to
protect my home wireless network.

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.or...sSecurity.html

Have you configured Vista to automatically connect to your network? Open up
"Network and Sharing Center" then look at the "Manage wireless networks"
over on the left. You can highlight each wireless network you connect to and
configure auto connect in "Properties".

You can also "Merge or delete network locations" to consolidate your
MyWirelessNet, MyWirelessNet2 and MyWireless3 locations. Open "Network and
Sharing", click on "Customize" then "Merge or delete network locations".

http://technet2.microsoft.com/window....mspx?mfr=true

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows – Desktop User Experience)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

"Jim" <Jim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I've set up a wireless network. Whenever I start Windows or remove the
> adapter and reconnect it, Windows Vista cannot re-establish the connection
> automatically. It was working fine till recently. But not any more. On the
> router I've disabled SSID and from what I can understand vista or the
> adapter
> isn't broadcasting to re-establish that connection. Under Manage wireless
> networks I have the SSID appearing three times ie: MyWirelessNet ,
> MyWirelessNet 2, MyWirelessNet 3. In the properties of these, the
> connection
> settings are all checked. I wont to correct this problem without having to
> broadcast the SSID on the router.
>
> Thank you,
> Jim

Jim

Re: Wireless Network needs reconnecting each time Vista starts

Hi,

My network is setup as you have described. Also the option to connect
automatically is enabled and and it is displayed accordingly. Only the
broadcast of the SSID isn't enabled. But I'll go ahead with enabling that
since what other readings I've come across the internet concur with what you
said about SSID.

Thank you,
Jim