Trouble with permisions

Ed H

Trouble with permisions
This is a strange one. I have two users accounts. #1 is an administrator
account, password protected, that I use when necessary and I also want to
keep others out of it. #2 is a standard account for all our general
purposes. I was trying to remove the standard user from having permission to
access the "Documents" folder under #1 and was trying to uncheck the
"Include inheritable permissions. . ." box when error warnings came up. I'm
sorry I can't repeat them verbatim, I'm afraid to try it again. There were
three and each said "there was an error because of. . . one said "My
Pictures," the next "My Videos" and the last one said "My Music." Yes, all
folders from an XP system. I do not have nor have I ever had these folders
under this folder. I do not know where this information is coming from. So
after I cancel these errors, then I find that the folder is now "Shared"
with the other user account.???
--

Windows Vista Home Premium 64-BIT SP1
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T5550 @ 1.83GHz

Gordon

Re: Trouble with permisions
"Ed H" <edandsandy@NOSPAMcomcast.net> wrote in message
> This is a strange one. I have two users accounts. #1 is an administrator
> account, password protected, that I use when necessary and I also want to
> keep others out of it. #2 is a standard account for all our general
> purposes. I was trying to remove the standard user from having permission
> to access the "Documents" folder under #1 and was trying to uncheck the
> "Include inheritable permissions. . ." box when error warnings came up.
> I'm sorry I can't repeat them verbatim, I'm afraid to try it again. There
> were three and each said "there was an error because of. . . one said "My
> Pictures," the next "My Videos" and the last one said "My Music." Yes, all
> folders from an XP system. I do not have nor have I ever had these folders
> under this folder. I do not know where this information is coming from. So
> after I cancel these errors, then I find that the folder is now "Shared"
> with the other user account.???

If the machine originally came with XP, and you did an on-place upgrade,
then the "My............" stuff are Junction points to allow the use of
legacy XP software.

Have a look here:
http://www.svrops.com/svrops/articles/jpoints.htm

Ed H

Re: Trouble with permisions
Thanks, yeah I was directed to that article and was able to overcome my
problem This computer however, came new with Vista installed (I hope).

Ed H