Vista can't access password protected network share

kakii

Vista can't access password protected network share

LAN network created by DSL-Router AVM FritzBox 7270.
One LAN client - windows xp pro sp3
One WLAN client - vista business 32bits sp1

USB mass storage connected to router. Router shares the drive
using samba server. Win xp has no problems while accessing this drive.
Vista can access the drive only if it is not protected by password.

What network setting is the vista pc missing ?
Bistey Csaba

Re: Vista can't access password protected network share
Check this:
http://www.itblox.co.uk/blog/index.p...a-Shares..html

Think those settings will solve your problem, but will degrade security
(as for authentication goes).

The other option (upgrade samba on device) is like:

1.) Make backup from routers mtd partitions.
2.) Get OpenWRT kamikaze from SVN
3.) Configure it.
4.) Patch Samba.
5.) Compile
6.) Flash router and pray.
7.) If you lucky telnet in set it up via nano,vi or your favourite text
editor, if not so lucky get familiar with device's bootloader (think it
is ADAM2 as most AR7 based routers) in worst case scenario prepare your
JTAG cable to be use.

So while first option is degrade security, second option has a nice
chance to degrade router to 'brick'. Unless you know what you doing i
would choose 1st.

Csaba

kakii wrote:

> LAN network created by DSL-Router AVM FritzBox 7270.
> One LAN client - windows xp pro sp3
> One WLAN client - vista business 32bits sp1
>
> USB mass storage connected to router. Router shares the drive
> using samba server. Win xp has no problems while accessing this drive.
> Vista can access the drive only if it is not protected by password.
>
> What network setting is the vista pc missing ?

kakii

Re: Vista can't access password protected network share

I asked the manufacturer for NTLM issue.
It was the customer support.
They claim my router supports NTLM as well as NTLMv2.
They claim also the reason is some where in my vista networking settings.
Not the router itself.

There are no official procedure for updating the SMB server.
One can update the whole firmware only.
I avoid patching the router soft as long as the guarantee doesn't expire.

Bistey Csaba wrote:
> Check this:
> http://www.itblox.co.uk/blog/index.p...a-Shares..html
>

> Think those settings will solve your problem, but will degrade security
> (as for authentication goes).
>
> The other option (upgrade samba on device) is like:
>
> 1.) Make backup from routers mtd partitions.
> 2.) Get OpenWRT kamikaze from SVN
> 3.) Configure it.
> 4.) Patch Samba.
> 5.) Compile
> 6.) Flash router and pray.
> 7.) If you lucky telnet in set it up via nano,vi or your favourite text
> editor, if not so lucky get familiar with device's bootloader (think it
> is ADAM2 as most AR7 based routers) in worst case scenario prepare your
> JTAG cable to be use.
>
> So while first option is degrade security, second option has a nice
> chance to degrade router to 'brick'. Unless you know what you doing i
> would choose 1st.
>
> Csaba
>
> kakii wrote:
>>
>> LAN network created by DSL-Router AVM FritzBox 7270.
>> One LAN client - windows xp pro sp3
>> One WLAN client - vista business 32bits sp1
>>
>> USB mass storage connected to router. Router shares the drive
>> using samba server. Win xp has no problems while accessing this drive.
>> Vista can access the drive only if it is not protected by password.
>>
>> What network setting is the vista pc missing ?

Bistey Csaba

Re: Vista can't access password protected network share
Checked( WLAN 7270 Firmware Version 54.04.57 ) GPL'd source code and
they has samba 3.0.24 (with Vista NTLMv2 patches (not checked all the
patched lines though)) so it should really work out of the box. But
wondering if you set the the options in my previous post it fixes the
problem or not?

Csaba

kakii wrote:

> I asked the manufacturer for NTLM issue.
> It was the customer support.
> They claim my router supports NTLM as well as NTLMv2.
> They claim also the reason is some where in my vista networking settings.
> Not the router itself.
>

> There are no official procedure for updating the SMB server.
> One can update the whole firmware only.
> I avoid patching the router soft as long as the guarantee doesn't expire.
>

> Bistey Csaba wrote:
>> Check this:
>> http://www.itblox.co.uk/blog/index.p...a-Shares..html
>>

>> Think those settings will solve your problem, but will degrade
>> security (as for authentication goes).
>>
>> The other option (upgrade samba on device) is like:
>>
>> 1.) Make backup from routers mtd partitions.
>> 2.) Get OpenWRT kamikaze from SVN
>> 3.) Configure it.
>> 4.) Patch Samba.
>> 5.) Compile
>> 6.) Flash router and pray.
>> 7.) If you lucky telnet in set it up via nano,vi or your favourite
>> text editor, if not so lucky get familiar with device's bootloader
>> (think it is ADAM2 as most AR7 based routers) in worst case scenario
>> prepare your JTAG cable to be use.
>>
>> So while first option is degrade security, second option has a nice
>> chance to degrade router to 'brick'. Unless you know what you doing i
>> would choose 1st.
>>
>> Csaba
>>
>> kakii wrote:
>>>
>>> LAN network created by DSL-Router AVM FritzBox 7270.
>>> One LAN client - windows xp pro sp3
>>> One WLAN client - vista business 32bits sp1
>>>
>>> USB mass storage connected to router. Router shares the drive
>>> using samba server. Win xp has no problems while accessing this drive.
>>> Vista can access the drive only if it is not protected by password.
>>>
>>> What network setting is the vista pc missing ?

kakii

Re: Vista can't access password protected network share

Your suggestion is too risky for me.
Guarantee not yet expired.

Bistey Csaba wrote:
> Checked( WLAN 7270 Firmware Version 54.04.57 ) GPL'd source code and
> they has samba 3.0.24 (with Vista NTLMv2 patches (not checked all the
> patched lines though)) so it should really work out of the box. But
> wondering if you set the the options in my previous post it fixes the
> problem or not?
>
> Csaba
>
> kakii wrote:
>>

>> I asked the manufacturer for NTLM issue.
>> It was the customer support.
>> They claim my router supports NTLM as well as NTLMv2.
>> They claim also the reason is some where in my vista networking settings.
>> Not the router itself.
>>

>> There are no official procedure for updating the SMB server.
>> One can update the whole firmware only.
>> I avoid patching the router soft as long as the guarantee doesn't expire.
>>

>> Bistey Csaba wrote:
>>> Check this:
>>> http://www.itblox.co.uk/blog/index.p...a-Shares..html
>>>

>>> Think those settings will solve your problem, but will degrade
>>> security (as for authentication goes).
>>>
>>> The other option (upgrade samba on device) is like:
>>>
>>> 1.) Make backup from routers mtd partitions.
>>> 2.) Get OpenWRT kamikaze from SVN
>>> 3.) Configure it.
>>> 4.) Patch Samba.
>>> 5.) Compile
>>> 6.) Flash router and pray.
>>> 7.) If you lucky telnet in set it up via nano,vi or your favourite
>>> text editor, if not so lucky get familiar with device's bootloader
>>> (think it is ADAM2 as most AR7 based routers) in worst case scenario
>>> prepare your JTAG cable to be use.
>>>
>>> So while first option is degrade security, second option has a nice
>>> chance to degrade router to 'brick'. Unless you know what you doing i
>>> would choose 1st.
>>>
>>> Csaba

Bistey Csaba

Re: Vista can't access password protected network share
That was my 2nd suggestion, check the link i gave for Vista settings.

Csaba