Can find computer but not open shares

wcalvin

Can find computer but not open shares
Three Vista Ultimate computers connected via router, sharing works fine with
two but when new machine added, file sharing will not work--except when I
connect two of them directly with ethernet cable.

Yes the firewalls are off and I have checked all the file share boxes. Even
turned off Norton security on new machine. The router has worked fine for
preexisting shares.
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Can find computer but not open shares
After adding the new Vista, can you ping each other by name? If not, can you
ping by IP?

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
"wcalvin" <wcalvin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Three Vista Ultimate computers connected via router, sharing works fine
> with
> two but when new machine added, file sharing will not work--except when I
> connect two of them directly with ethernet cable.
>
> Yes the firewalls are off and I have checked all the file share boxes.
> Even
> turned off Norton security on new machine. The router has worked fine for
> preexisting shares.

Mick Murphy

RE: Can find computer but not open shares

the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

File Sharing: ON

Docs)

access a Vista computer.

Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"wcalvin" wrote:

> Three Vista Ultimate computers connected via router, sharing works fine with
> two but when new machine added, file sharing will not work--except when I
> connect two of them directly with ethernet cable.
>
> Yes the firewalls are off and I have checked all the file share boxes. Even
> turned off Norton security on new machine. The router has worked fine for
> preexisting shares.

wcalvin

RE: Can find computer but not open shares
Solved it by uninstalling Norton (opening its firewall for 15 minutes didn't
do the job), which came with the machine (Lenovo X61s). I use McAfee
Enterprise on the other machines. Thanks.