No Adhoc ethernet option in Vista Busness

JRowe

No Adhoc ethernet option in Vista Busness
I am trying to adhoc two laptops using ethernet. One is running XP3 the other
Vista Business. In the Microsoft article
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...bd5dc1033.mspx
they say at point 3 "Set up an ad hoc (computer-to-computer) network". I do
not have that option available, only Set up a wireless ad hoc
(computer-to-computer) network.

What gives?????????????? Any ideas??????????????????

Mick Murphy

RE: No Adhoc ethernet option in Vista Busness
You have to use a "Crossover" Cat5 cable to do it!
And set up file and Printer sharing in XP, and vista

Here is XP:
work for XP machines!).

and Printer Sharing.

In vista:
Start>Network>Network and Sharing> do the file sharing!

--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"JRowe" wrote:

> I am trying to adhoc two laptops using ethernet. One is running XP3 the other
> Vista Business. In the Microsoft article
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...bd5dc1033.mspx
> they say at point 3 "Set up an ad hoc (computer-to-computer) network". I do
> not have that option available, only Set up a wireless ad hoc
> (computer-to-computer) network.
>
> What gives?????????????? Any ideas??????????????????

JRowe

RE: No Adhoc ethernet option in Vista Busness
Hi Mick, thanks for the reply.

Yes, have xover cable. But it should see the other computer even if file
sharing is not turned on. But I keep getting a message that the ethernet NIC
is not connected.

But where is the option to setup an adhoc ethernet connection. Even if there
is a hardware problem, which the device manager says there is not why no
option?

If I turn off the WLAN there is still an option to do a WLAN adhoc.

I'll check the file sharing on Vista Laptop again but I don't think that is
the problem.

Cheers, Craig

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> You have to use a "Crossover" Cat5 cable to do it!
> And set up file and Printer sharing in XP, and vista
>
> Here is XP:
> Also, run the XP’s Home or Small Office Network File and Printer Sharing
> Wizard to include Vista in your “New” Network, even if you had an XP Network
> set up prior to adding a Vista computer to it(redoing the Wizard seems to
> work for XP machines!).
>
> In “My Network Places”: “Set up a Home or Small Office Network”
> OR under Accessories > Communications > Network Setup Wizard > Allow File
> and Printer Sharing.
>
> In vista:
> Start>Network>Network and Sharing> do the file sharing!
>
> --
> Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Re: No Adhoc ethernet option in Vista Busness
Hi
Ad-Hoc connection is related to Wireless.
To connect two computers you need a cross over Cat5e cable connecting them
through the Network cards . Then configure each computer Network setting
with static IP.
http://bassplayerdoc.spaces.live.com...0E11!359.entry
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"JRowe" <JRowe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to adhoc two laptops using ethernet. One is running XP3 the
>other
> Vista Business. In the Microsoft article
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...bd5dc1033.mspx
> they say at point 3 "Set up an ad hoc (computer-to-computer) network". I
> do
> not have that option available, only Set up a wireless ad hoc
> (computer-to-computer) network.
>
> What gives?????????????? Any ideas??????????????????

JRowe

Re: No Adhoc ethernet option in Vista Busness
Thankyou Jack. As stated previously I am using a (known good and tested)
xover cable.

Ad hoc is not specific to wireless. See microsofts definition here
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...10d6c1033.mspx

It is a computer to computer connection.

Has anyone else looked at their Vista netwrking section to see if they have
the ad hoc ethernet option?

"Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

> Hi
> Ad-Hoc connection is related to Wireless.
> To connect two computers you need a cross over Cat5e cable connecting them
> through the Network cards . Then configure each computer Network setting
> with static IP.
> http://bassplayerdoc.spaces.live.com...0E11!359.entry
> Jack (MVP-Networking).

Mick Murphy

Re: No Adhoc ethernet option in Vista Busness
I knew I'd eventually find the link again!

http://www.lytebyte.com/2007/02/21/h...r-using-vista/
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"JRowe" wrote:

> Thankyou Jack. As stated previously I am using a (known good and tested)
> xover cable.
>
> Ad hoc is not specific to wireless. See microsofts definition here
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...10d6c1033.mspx
>
> It is a computer to computer connection.
>
> Has anyone else looked at their Vista netwrking section to see if they have
> the ad hoc ethernet option?
>
> "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
>
> > Hi
> > Ad-Hoc connection is related to Wireless.
> > To connect two computers you need a cross over Cat5e cable connecting them
> > through the Network cards . Then configure each computer Network setting
> > with static IP.
> > http://bassplayerdoc.spaces.live.com...0E11!359.entry
> > Jack (MVP-Networking).

JRowe

Re: No Adhoc ethernet option in Vista Busness
Thanks Mick, I'll give that a try.

regards, Craig