Vista file sharing across and Access Point / Networks / Merging, etc.

Fred Marshall

Vista file sharing across and Access Point / Networks / Merging, etc.
I have a simple LAN that includes a wireless access point device.
Some computers are wired and some computers are connected via the AP /
wireless.
All computers are on the same subnet as you might well expect.
Most computers are XP Pro.

We just introduced a new Vista system on the wireless part of the LAN.
The Network and Sharing Center settings were normal for our Vista systems:
"private network,
Network Discovery ON,
File Sharing ON,
Public Folder Sharing ON,
Printer Sharing ON,
Password Protected Sharing OFF,
Media Sharing OFF.

We shared the C: drive and the following observations were made:
All the computers on the LAN could see and get into the Public Folder
Only the wireless connected computers could see and get into the shared C:
drive.
The wired computers could see but could NOT get into the shared C: drive ...
initially.

I notice in other LANs that the wired computers in Network and Sharing
Center are connected to "Network"
I notice that this wireless Vista computer in Network and Sharing Center is
connected to "[ssid]" as a network name - so I suspect that a wired Vista
system on this same LAN would be connected to "Network".

I found the control that will "merge" networks and merged the SSID-named
wireless network with the "Network". That didn't help.
I added Everyone to the permissions on the Vista shared drive. That didn't
help.

Eventually, I added Guest to the shared drive permissions and it fixed the
problem. Now all the computers on the LAN can see the shared C: drive and
can get into it.
On other LANs I've not had to add Guest in order to gain access to shared
folders such as c:\Users\Me

I wonder why having the wireless segment matters here?
I wonder if the C: drive is handled differently than a subordinate folder in
such a case?

I need explanations that will allow me to reliably network Vista machines!

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Re: Vista file sharing across and Access Point / Networks / Merging, etc.
Hi
The Wireless connection per-se (including SSID) has nothing to do with
Sharing.
If you Wireless works (I.e. you can use the internet from the Wireless
computer) then leave the Wireless related settings alone.
http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
allowed to be shared.
Vista File and Printer Sharing-
Windows XP File Sharing -
Printer Sharing XP -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Fred Marshall" <fmarshallx@remove_the_x.acm.org> wrote in message
>I have a simple LAN that includes a wireless access point device.
> Some computers are wired and some computers are connected via the AP /
> wireless.
> All computers are on the same subnet as you might well expect.
> Most computers are XP Pro.
>
> We just introduced a new Vista system on the wireless part of the LAN.
> The Network and Sharing Center settings were normal for our Vista systems:
> "private network,
> Network Discovery ON,
> File Sharing ON,
> Public Folder Sharing ON,
> Printer Sharing ON,
> Password Protected Sharing OFF,
> Media Sharing OFF.
>
> We shared the C: drive and the following observations were made:
> All the computers on the LAN could see and get into the Public Folder
> Only the wireless connected computers could see and get into the shared C:
> drive.
> The wired computers could see but could NOT get into the shared C: drive
> ... initially.
>
> I notice in other LANs that the wired computers in Network and Sharing
> Center are connected to "Network"
> I notice that this wireless Vista computer in Network and Sharing Center
> is connected to "[ssid]" as a network name - so I suspect that a wired
> Vista system on this same LAN would be connected to "Network".
>
> I found the control that will "merge" networks and merged the SSID-named
> wireless network with the "Network". That didn't help.
> I added Everyone to the permissions on the Vista shared drive. That
> didn't help.
>
> Eventually, I added Guest to the shared drive permissions and it fixed the
> problem. Now all the computers on the LAN can see the shared C: drive and
> can get into it.
> On other LANs I've not had to add Guest in order to gain access to shared
> folders such as c:\Users\Me
>
> I wonder why having the wireless segment matters here?
> I wonder if the C: drive is handled differently than a subordinate folder
> in such a case?
>
> I need explanations that will allow me to reliably network Vista machines!

Fred Marshall

Re: Vista file sharing across and Access Point / Networks / Merging, etc.
Jack,

That's quite a grab bag of tricks! I've saved all the links. I already had
some of them and had followed them.

With all that information, it's just a bit hard to sift through it all to
figure out what's likely at issue here. As I said, there are some
strangenesses that I've not seen before.

Why would multiple wireless XP machines be able to see INTO both the Vista
Public folder AND the Vista C: drive while:

multiple wired XP machines can only see into the Vista Public folder and can
see but not INTO the Vista C: drive?

Why would adding a Guest privilege on the Vista C: drive fix the problem
when the same setting isn't needed for the other wireless XP machines to see
into it?

I can certainly follow instructions. What I'm seeking is understanding.

Thanks,

Fred