getting into an apple os 10 workgroup with a vista 32-bit system

forhim123

getting into an apple os 10 workgroup with a vista 32-bit system
I am trying to use a friends printer attached to a mac os 10 system. It is
networked through an air-port applet wireless router. I can use the
internet, but the apple computer will not show up on my network map. I have
tried everything I know. I have researched microsoft.com and found nothing
that was of any use.

Malke

Re: getting into an apple os 10 workgroup with a vista 32-bit system
forhim123 wrote:

> I am trying to use a friends printer attached to a mac os 10 system. It
> is
> networked through an air-port applet wireless router. I can use the
> internet, but the apple computer will not show up on my network map. I
> have
> tried everything I know. I have researched microsoft.com and found
> nothing that was of any use.

If this is going to be a permanent thing you do or you're going to do it
frequently, then make the changes detailed below. Otherwise, just put your
files on a USB stick and have your friend print directly from the Mac for
you. The disadvantage to this is that of course your friend would need to
have compatible programs installed on OS X that can open your files and
then print them.

So, your friend will need to set up Windows networking on the Mac. This is
easily done - follow instructions in OS X Help if your friend doesn't know
how. You will also need to download the correct Vista drivers for the
printer and install them on your computer after you've set up the sharing.

*****
This assumes that you have correctly set up Windows Sharing in OS X. If you
have Leopard, make sure you are using the SMB protocol and not AFP. You
must create matching user accounts/passwords on both the Mac and Vista. You
do not need to be logged into the same account on all machines and the
passwords assigned to each user account can be different; the
accounts/passwords just need to exist and match on all machines. If you
wish a machine to boot directly to the Desktop in Vista (into one
particular user's account) for convenience, you can do this. The
instructions at this link work for both XP and Vista:

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Autologon.htm

You also need to make sure you've correctly configured your firewalls on
both machines to allow the Local Area Network as trusted.

To enable Windows Vista to connect to Mac OS X with Windows File Sharing
enabled, you will need to change the following policy in Windows Vista:

Start>Run>secpol.msc [enter]

Click on "Local Policies" --> "Security Options"

Navigate to the policy "Network Security: LAN Manager authentication level"
and double-click it to get its Properties. By default Windows Vista sets
the policy to "NTVLM2 responses only". Use the drop-down arrow to change
this to "LM and NTLM ? use NTLMV2 session security if negotiated".

In Vista Home Premium, you won't have this tool so per Steve Winograd, do:

1. Run the registry editor and open this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Lsa

1. If it doesn't already exist, create a DWORD value named
LmCompatibilityLevel

3. Set the value to 1

4. Reboot
*****