file sharing between XP home(sp3) and Vista home premium(sp1)

kimberly in oregon

file sharing between XP home(sp3) and Vista home premium(sp1)
I am having trouble to access files from vista to xp(NTFS). There is no
problem for XP to get in vista but not vice versa.

I can see the name of xp computer from vista network but just could not get
in. When I click the XP for access, no error messages but just stuck there
forever and I could not kill it after ~20 minutes even with "task manager" so
that I had to reboot the computer. Both computers connect same private
network wirelessly.

I made both computer workgroup name same, off firewalls, and filesharing
configuration according to MS manual for each computers as follows;
xp file sharing: check "share this folder on the network"
check "allow network users to change my files

vista network and sharing center:
On: "network discovery", "file sharing", "public folder sharing", "printer
sharing".
Off: "password protected sharing", "Media sharing".

Share folder : check "share this folder" and add "everyone" for "permission".

Perhaps, I need to do more adjustment for my xp beyond turning off firewall
and file sharing configuration as above but don't know what. I am working on
this for 2 days and nights without success. I've even tried to connect by
cross cable but it did not work either. Please someone help me.

Mick Murphy

RE: file sharing between XP home(sp3) and Vista home premium(sp1)
Kimberley, read my advice carefully. Run the XP wizard, as well as get the
settings right in Vista!

the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

File Sharing: ON

Docs)

work for XP machines!).

and Printer Sharing.

--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"kimberly in oregon" wrote:

> I am having trouble to access files from vista to xp(NTFS). There is no
> problem for XP to get in vista but not vice versa.
>
> I can see the name of xp computer from vista network but just could not get
> in. When I click the XP for access, no error messages but just stuck there
> forever and I could not kill it after ~20 minutes even with "task manager" so
> that I had to reboot the computer. Both computers connect same private
> network wirelessly.
>
> I made both computer workgroup name same, off firewalls, and filesharing
> configuration according to MS manual for each computers as follows;
> xp file sharing: check "share this folder on the network"
> check "allow network users to change my files
>
> vista network and sharing center:
> On: "network discovery", "file sharing", "public folder sharing", "printer
> sharing".
> Off: "password protected sharing", "Media sharing".
>
> Share folder : check "share this folder" and add "everyone" for "permission".
>
> Perhaps, I need to do more adjustment for my xp beyond turning off firewall
> and file sharing configuration as above but don't know what. I am working on
> this for 2 days and nights without success. I've even tried to connect by
> cross cable but it did not work either. Please someone help me.

kimberly in oregon

RE: file sharing between XP home(sp3) and Vista home premium(sp1)
Thank you Mick, but technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb727037.aspx was the
manual my work based on. And I also followed all your advice step by step,
ran xp network wizard 3 times, have same workgroup name for both computers,
turn off firewalls instead of making exceptions because that opening port
part was hard for me to follow. All the settings in the Vista network file
sharing were set to exactly same as what you said and it still does not
cooperate with me..^^.

Again, please note I can open Vista's files from XP but not XP's folder from
Vista. Any other suggestions? Do you know about cross cable? Some said that
it would be instantly connected by cross cable but mine did not work....>.<

> If using Norton, McAfee, Trend Micro I.S., make sure file and printer
> sharing is enabled in THEIR firewall (or LAN allowed, depending on how their
> Exceptions are worded in their Firewall)

> 1st thing to do is make sure that the Workgroup Name of ALL the computers is
> the SAME.
>
> In Vista Network and Sharing:

> File Sharing: ON
>
> Public Folder Sharing: ON (Vista’s Public Folder is the same as XP’s Shared
> Docs)

> passwords (passwords can be different) on ALL computers in your Network) If
> you have it ON, you will be asked for a username and password when you try to
> access a Vista computer from an XP computer, or a Vista computer.
>
> Also, run the XP’s Home or Small Office Network File and Printer Sharing
> Wizard to include Vista in your “New” Network, even if you had an XP Network
> set up prior to adding a Vista computer to it(redoing the Wizard seems to
> work for XP machines!).
>
> In “My Network Places”: “Set up a Home or Small Office Network”
> OR under Accessories > Communications > Network Setup Wizard > Allow File
> and Printer Sharing.
>
> --
> Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia
>

> "kimberly in oregon" wrote:
>
> > I am having trouble to access files from vista to xp(NTFS). There is no
> > problem for XP to get in vista but not vice versa.
> >
> > I can see the name of xp computer from vista network but just could not get
> > in. When I click the XP for access, no error messages but just stuck there
> > forever and I could not kill it after ~20 minutes even with "task manager" so
> > that I had to reboot the computer. Both computers connect same private
> > network wirelessly.
> >
> > I made both computer workgroup name same, off firewalls, and filesharing
> > configuration according to MS manual for each computers as follows;
> > xp file sharing: check "share this folder on the network"
> > check "allow network users to change my files
> >
> > vista network and sharing center:
> > On: "network discovery", "file sharing", "public folder sharing", "printer
> > sharing".
> > Off: "password protected sharing", "Media sharing".
> >
> > Share folder : check "share this folder" and add "everyone" for "permission".
> >
> > Perhaps, I need to do more adjustment for my xp beyond turning off firewall
> > and file sharing configuration as above but don't know what. I am working on
> > this for 2 days and nights without success. I've even tried to connect by
> > cross cable but it did not work either. Please someone help me.

Mick Murphy

RE: file sharing between XP home(sp3) and Vista home premium(sp1)
Normal Cat5 cable that you hook from your computer your router is "Patch"
cable--

"Crossover" is a way of not having a Router; 1 comp can hook up to a Modem,
and the 2 computers link with the Crossover cable.
But using that way, you still have to set up the sharing!

Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"kimberly in oregon" wrote:

> [...]

> > > network wirelessly.
> > >
> > > I made both computer workgroup name same, off firewalls, and filesharing
> > > configuration according to MS manual for each computers as follows;
> > > xp file sharing: check "share this folder on the network"
> > > check "allow network users to change my files
> > >
> > > vista network and sharing center:
> > > On: "network discovery", "file sharing", "public folder sharing", "printer
> > > sharing".
> > > Off: "password protected sharing", "Media sharing".
> > >
> > > Share folder : check "share this folder" and add "everyone" for "permission".
> > >
> > > Perhaps, I need to do more adjustment for my xp beyond turning off firewall
> > > and file sharing configuration as above but don't know what. I am working on
> > > this for 2 days and nights without success. I've even tried to connect by
> > > cross cable but it did not work either. Please someone help me.

Don Klokkenga

RE: file sharing between XP home(sp3) and Vista home premium(sp1)
We have two laptops with Vista and an old workstation with XP, and have all
of the files we regularly share in the Share of Share Docs folders.

Network Places in XP always works, but the workstation does not always show
in Network of the laptops (Vista). We have installed the ineroperability
patch. Rebooting the Vista computer normally solves this problem temporarily.

We have Office 2007 installed on all computers. When we access an Office
2007 format file (docx or xlsx) on a Vista computer from the XP Workstation,
and then save it is when we usually have the problem. A loop develops and
the save never finishes. We can close the application on the XP with Task
Manager, but the network communication between the two computers remains
inoperable. Usually rebooting the Vista machine will restore operability,
but sometimes both must be rebooted.

In this scenario the Vista laptops do not reboot correctly. It gets stuck
logging off. I am still experimenting, but it seems that if I remove the
laptop from the docking station which removes it from the network the laptop
will continue the reboot. Otherwise I have to remove the battery.

I believe this is a Microsoft problem, but have not advised them because I
am still experimenting. I suspect or attempts to fix this problem with the
current software will be futile. Hope this helps. If not know that you are
not alone.
--
Donald A. Klokkenga PE