Can't Access Win 2000 Share from a vista computer.

Jim Bryan

Can't Access Win 2000 Share from a vista computer.
We have 3 W2k computers and a new vista computer. The Vista computer cannot
access the shares on ONE of the Windows 2000 computers. The network is peer
to peer and with the exception of the Vista computer accessing this
particular Win 2000 computer, everyone can access everything. (we are trying
to share a printer on the Win 2000 computer, but the computer rejects the
user name/password from vista computer).

I have triple checked the permissions and when you try to access the share,
you get a user name/password error. You can access the same share from one
of the other win 2000 computers using the same user info and it works fine.

All Win 2000 machines are SP3, we had some issues on one computer with SP4
and never installed it on any of our computers. Is there an update or a
setting on the Win 2000 computer that would only effect the vista computer
accessing the 2000 shares?

Thanks in advance

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Can't Access Win 2000 Share from a vista computer.
Do you receive system error if using this command: net view
\\problematicw2000ipaddress from the Vista?

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
"Jim Bryan" <JimBryan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We have 3 W2k computers and a new vista computer. The Vista computer
> cannot
> access the shares on ONE of the Windows 2000 computers. The network is
> peer
> to peer and with the exception of the Vista computer accessing this
> particular Win 2000 computer, everyone can access everything. (we are
> trying
> to share a printer on the Win 2000 computer, but the computer rejects the
> user name/password from vista computer).
>
> I have triple checked the permissions and when you try to access the
> share,
> you get a user name/password error. You can access the same share from
> one
> of the other win 2000 computers using the same user info and it works
> fine.
>
> All Win 2000 machines are SP3, we had some issues on one computer with SP4
> and never installed it on any of our computers. Is there an update or a
> setting on the Win 2000 computer that would only effect the vista computer
> accessing the 2000 shares?
>
> Thanks in advance

Jim Bryan

Re: Can't Access Win 2000 Share from a vista computer.
Hi

I get the following error

System error 5 has occurred. Access is denied

Thanks

Jim

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Do you receive system error if using this command: net view
> \\problematicw2000ipaddress from the Vista?
>
> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> "Jim Bryan" <JimBryan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > We have 3 W2k computers and a new vista computer. The Vista computer
> > cannot
> > access the shares on ONE of the Windows 2000 computers. The network is
> > peer
> > to peer and with the exception of the Vista computer accessing this
> > particular Win 2000 computer, everyone can access everything. (we are
> > trying
> > to share a printer on the Win 2000 computer, but the computer rejects the
> > user name/password from vista computer).
> >
> > I have triple checked the permissions and when you try to access the
> > share,
> > you get a user name/password error. You can access the same share from
> > one
> > of the other win 2000 computers using the same user info and it works
> > fine.
> >
> > All Win 2000 machines are SP3, we had some issues on one computer with SP4
> > and never installed it on any of our computers. Is there an update or a
> > setting on the Win 2000 computer that would only effect the vista computer
> > accessing the 2000 shares?
> >
> > Thanks in advance

Malke

Jim Bryan wrote:

> I get the following error
>
> System error 5 has occurred. Access is denied

> "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> Do you receive system error if using this command: net view
>> \\problematicw2000ipaddress from the Vista?

>> "Jim Bryan" <JimBryan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > We have 3 W2k computers and a new vista computer. The Vista computer
>> > cannot
>> > access the shares on ONE of the Windows 2000 computers. The network is
>> > peer
>> > to peer and with the exception of the Vista computer accessing this
>> > particular Win 2000 computer, everyone can access everything. (we are
>> > trying
>> > to share a printer on the Win 2000 computer, but the computer rejects
>> > the user name/password from vista computer).

Here's the problem:
>> > I have triple checked the permissions and when you try to access the
>> > share, you get a user name/password error.

You need to create a user account and password on the Win2k machine that
matches the one(s) on the other computers. You may think you've done this,
but obviously something is wrong. Very often this comes about because
someone cosmetically changes the user that comes default from the factory
(HP_Administrator or Owner for example) to their name but of course that
doesn't change the real user account.

So double-check 1) all user accounts and passwords on all machines; 2)
create matching ones.

You do not need to be logged into the same account on all machines and the
passwords assigned to each user account can be different; the
accounts/passwords just need to exist and match on all machines. If you
wish a machine to boot directly to the Desktop (into one particular user's
account) for convenience, you can do this. The instructions at this link
work for both XP and Vista and may also work for Win2k (I don't remember,
sorry):

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Autologon.htm

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers
Jim Bryan

Re: Can't Access Win 2000 Share from a vista computer.
Hi

I can sure try again, but we tried to connect as an existing user (for
example, Kathy). It rejected the user name/password. This is true although
Kathy has been setup as a valid user account on all of our 2000 systems with
never expiring password for about 4 years. We really don't need security on
the lan, but W2k..... Anyway, we tried to connect using each of the
existing accounts on this system, but none worked. Then we created a new
user account on the problem W2K sys and we could not get it work from the
Vista system either.

The funny thing is we can access the shares on the other W2K systems from
the vista machine, without any problems. There is something a little
different about the 2000 installation on this particular machine that Vista
doesn't like. I will try re-creating the account on the 2000 sys.

Thanks

Jim

"Malke" wrote:

> Jim Bryan wrote:
>
> > I get the following error
> >
> > System error 5 has occurred. Access is denied

> > "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:
> >
> >> Do you receive system error if using this command: net view
> >> \\problematicw2000ipaddress from the Vista?

> >> "Jim Bryan" <JimBryan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> >

> Here's the problem:

> You need to create a user account and password on the Win2k machine that
> matches the one(s) on the other computers. You may think you've done this,
> but obviously something is wrong. Very often this comes about because
> someone cosmetically changes the user that comes default from the factory
> (HP_Administrator or Owner for example) to their name but of course that
> doesn't change the real user account.
>
> So double-check 1) all user accounts and passwords on all machines; 2)
> create matching ones.
>
> You do not need to be logged into the same account on all machines and the
> passwords assigned to each user account can be different; the
> accounts/passwords just need to exist and match on all machines. If you
> wish a machine to boot directly to the Desktop (into one particular user's
> account) for convenience, you can do this. The instructions at this link
> work for both XP and Vista and may also work for Win2k (I don't remember,
> sorry):
>
> Configure Windows to Automatically Login (MVP Ramesh) -
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Autologon.htm
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> Don't Panic!

Rob Spence

Login fails to W2K system from Vista
I have this problem also.
I have 2 W2K machines that I use to store shared files. While they have different hardware makeup, they are configured the same. They have been running for years without problems.
Recently I have had to replace the 2 desktop XP systems that we use to access these files with Vista nachines.
All machines are static IP and are in the same Workgroup. All have the same set of usernames/passwords.
One machine, mine, can access both W2K machines just fine.
The other one, which we built from scratch the other day and updated to SP1 can access one of the W2K machines just fine (no login required) but when trying to access the other one gets a logon prompt. No combinations of usernames and passwords (even though correct) will work.

Our local net is behind a commercial grade firewall so we do not have the Windows firewall turned on.

The only difference of note between the desktop machines that I can think of is that they runn different AV and Spyware detectors. Mine uses Spyware Doctor and the one that can't access one of the W2K machines runs Zone Alarm.

Any ideas?

Ahmed Kamal

RE: Login fails to W2K system from Vista
I've the very same problem, any solutions?