help with internet access

bens8382

help with internet access

hello and thanks in advance for your help. my girlfriend has a windows
vista home edition laptop computer. we think that windows did some kind
of update and now we have a unusual problem. all of a sudden internet
explorer doesn't work. it will not load any web sites, even in safe
mode, even though the computer shows a good connection to the internet.
also she has an old aol browser and that connects fine so i know the
connection is good. with the older versions of windows you could repair
or reinstall internet explorer but with vista it seems to be
intergrated. my question is can anyone suggest what would be causing IE
to stop accessing the internet? Also is there a repair or replace
feature with vista that would allow us to reload IE. I have taken down
the firewalls, run the diagnostics and tried in safe mode but no
success. I've even taken off the 3rd party virus program. It's really
weird becasue the computer knows it's is connected to the internet but
IE doesn't. the computer is a few months old and was working fine until
tonight. Any ideas you have would be greatfully appreciated. Thanks
again.

--
bens8382
bad_the_ba

Re: help with internet access

First check the file menu to see if IE is set to "work offline". If you
do not see the file menu, right click the top bar of IE near the tabs,
and make sure "menu bar" is checked.

--
bad_the_ba
Mick Murphy

RE: help with internet access
The default IE that came installed with every windows OS has never had a
reinstall option!
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"bens8382" wrote:

> hello and thanks in advance for your help. my girlfriend has a windows
> vista home edition laptop computer. we think that windows did some kind
> of update and now we have a unusual problem. all of a sudden internet
> explorer doesn't work. it will not load any web sites, even in safe
> mode, even though the computer shows a good connection to the internet.
> also she has an old aol browser and that connects fine so i know the
> connection is good. with the older versions of windows you could repair
> or reinstall internet explorer but with vista it seems to be
> intergrated. my question is can anyone suggest what would be causing IE
> to stop accessing the internet? Also is there a repair or replace
> feature with vista that would allow us to reload IE. I have taken down
> the firewalls, run the diagnostics and tried in safe mode but no
> success. I've even taken off the 3rd party virus program. It's really
> weird becasue the computer knows it's is connected to the internet but
> IE doesn't. the computer is a few months old and was working fine until
> tonight. Any ideas you have would be greatfully appreciated. Thanks
> again.
>

> --
> bens8382

bens8382

Re: help with internet access

quick update. the IE is set online not offline. Also I did the reset
option and still no joy. I plugged the computer directly into the modem
via the ethernet cable. Again, the computer found the connection, the
old aol browser was able to surf the internet but IE cannot.

--
bens8382