Network and Pinters

Ed H

Network and Pinters
Hey:

I want to make sure I buy the correct item. My desktop is connected to our
wireless router via cable and our notebook is wireless. I want to buy a
printer to attach, usb, to the desktop but that I can network to the
notebook. Any specifics I need to ask for? Do I install the software in both
computers? Would a usb wireless adapter for the desktop be the way to go?

Thank you all,
Ed H
--

Windows Vista Home Premium 64-BIT SP1
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T5550 @ 1.83GHz

Malke

Re: Network and Pinters
Ed H wrote:

> Hey:
>
> I want to make sure I buy the correct item. My desktop is connected to our
> wireless router via cable and our notebook is wireless. I want to buy a
> printer to attach, usb, to the desktop but that I can network to the
> notebook. Any specifics I need to ask for? Do I install the software in
> both computers? Would a usb wireless adapter for the desktop be the way to
> go?

My first choice is always to buy a networkable printer - one that will
connect via ethernet cable to the router - instead of one that will connect
directly to a computer. The price of networkable printers has come down
drastically and it is easy to find out. This way you don't need to leave
the desktop running when you want to print from another computer.

You didn't say whether you wanted a plain printer or an all-in-one, an
inkjet or a laser printer. You need to think about how you are going to use
the printer to make this decision. If you want to print photos, brochures,
etc. then you will want an inkjet. If this is a business printer with
little or no color printing needs, then a laser is the better choice. A
laser printer costs a bit more upfront but you save considerably on
consumables. Laser printers use toner and the ink for inkjet printers is
extremely expensive.

All that said, you need to make sure that the printer supports vista. You
will need to install drivers for each machine's operating system on each
machine that is going to use the printer.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers
Ed H

Re: Network and Pinters
Thanks Malke. We want a simple home document/photos all-in-one. But that's a
big help, one that connects directly to the router, didn't even think of
that.

Ed H
--

> Ed H wrote:
>
>> Hey:
>>
>> I want to make sure I buy the correct item. My desktop is connected to
>> our
>> wireless router via cable and our notebook is wireless. I want to buy a
>> printer to attach, usb, to the desktop but that I can network to the
>> notebook. Any specifics I need to ask for? Do I install the software in
>> both computers? Would a usb wireless adapter for the desktop be the way
>> go?

> My first choice is always to buy a networkable printer - one that will
> connect via ethernet cable to the router - instead of one that will
> connect
> directly to a computer. The price of networkable printers has come down
> drastically and it is easy to find out. This way you don't need to leave
> the desktop running when you want to print from another computer.
>
> You didn't say whether you wanted a plain printer or an all-in-one, an
> inkjet or a laser printer. You need to think about how you are going to
> use
> the printer to make this decision. If you want to print photos, brochures,
> etc. then you will want an inkjet. If this is a business printer with
> little or no color printing needs, then a laser is the better choice. A
> laser printer costs a bit more upfront but you save considerably on
> consumables. Laser printers use toner and the ink for inkjet printers is
> extremely expensive.
>
> All that said, you need to make sure that the printer supports vista. You
> will need to install drivers for each machine's operating system on each
> machine that is going to use the printer.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> Don't Panic!

Malke

Re: Network and Pinters
Ed H wrote:

> Thanks Malke. We want a simple home document/photos all-in-one. But that's
> a big help, one that connects directly to the router, didn't even think of
> that.

Glad to be of service. Here's an example of an HP printer that might meet
your needs.

http://tinyurl.com/4yysdl

I got this by using HP's "help me choose" function on their website
(www.hp.com) so you can get a closer/better match by going there and doing
that yourself. Of course, you don't need to buy HP! I was only using it as
an example. I do like HP printers, although I dislike their software on
Windows.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Don't Panic!
echrada

Re: Network and Pinters

I bought a Lexmark X6570 wireless printer and set it up with my home
network - now everybody can access it at any time and it is brilliant.

'Lexmark X6570 Wireless Printer, Scanner, Copier & Fax - cheap Printers
All in One - Dixons.co.uk'
(http://www.dixons.co.uk/product.php?...amp_id=froogle)

--
echrada
Ed H

Re: Network and Pinters
Super help. All is up and running just fine. Thanks for everything.