VPN and Remote desktop connection problems

buddy

VPN and Remote desktop connection problems

I have a new Lenovo with Vista for business OS (that replaces my old
thinkpad on XP). At my office, I am able to use remote desktop
connection to remotely operate my work pc (a VISTA business OS) - by
attaching to the work network by wire. However, at home I use the VPN
to connect to the work network. THe VPN connects just fine but the RDC
comes up with the error message "This computer can't connect to the
remote PC."

At home I have a 3 PC wired network with the notebook being one of the
connections. THe other PCs are XP pro's and can connect via the VPN and
RDC to my work PC with no problems.

I've read the posts and it seems there isn't a clear answer to this
problem. Also, if there is a fix that affects my home network, then
what happens when I'm traveling and use the broadband connection in a
hotel? If the issue is opening ports, I'll need some help as my
experience with my router (netgear) is basic to moderate.

I need to resolve this as I leave town in a week for business and I
need to connect.

Thanks

--
buddy
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: VPN and Remote desktop connection problems
The new Vista may have a 3rd party firewall block different subnet if you
have one. If yes, you may need to add the work LAN subnet when you use VPN.
For a test, start the Vista with clean boot.

windows faqsHow to run Windows OS with a clean boot How to stop the
Messenger Service ads How to tell who is logged on at a remote computer ...
www.howtonetworking.com/winfaqs.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
"buddy" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> I have a new Lenovo with Vista for business OS (that replaces my old
> thinkpad on XP). At my office, I am able to use remote desktop
> connection to remotely operate my work pc (a VISTA business OS) - by
> attaching to the work network by wire. However, at home I use the VPN
> to connect to the work network. THe VPN connects just fine but the RDC
> comes up with the error message "This computer can't connect to the
> remote PC."
>
> At home I have a 3 PC wired network with the notebook being one of the
> connections. THe other PCs are XP pro's and can connect via the VPN and
> RDC to my work PC with no problems.
>
> I've read the posts and it seems there isn't a clear answer to this
> problem. Also, if there is a fix that affects my home network, then
> what happens when I'm traveling and use the broadband connection in a
> hotel? If the issue is opening ports, I'll need some help as my
> experience with my router (netgear) is basic to moderate.
>
> I need to resolve this as I leave town in a week for business and I
> need to connect.
>
> Thanks
>

> --
> buddy

buddy

Re: VPN and Remote desktop connection problems

Thanks for the reply. I tried a clean boot but no change. I also
determined that I have the same issue using my Verizon wireless aircard.
I can log into the VPN but the RDC still won't find my work PC. In
fact, the error message comes up so quick (lie it does when I was
connected via ethernet) that I can only assume it didn't look, but that
something blocked it.

BTW, my PC at work is a Vista Business 32 Machine. This is mind
boggling!!!!

--
buddy
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: VPN and Remote desktop connection problems
Can you telnet port 3389?

--

> Thanks for the reply. I tried a clean boot but no change. I also
> determined that I have the same issue using my Verizon wireless aircard.
> I can log into the VPN but the RDC still won't find my work PC. In
> fact, the error message comes up so quick (lie it does when I was
> connected via ethernet) that I can only assume it didn't look, but that
> something blocked it.
>
> BTW, my PC at work is a Vista Business 32 Machine. This is mind
> boggling!!!!
>

> --
> buddy

buddy

Re: VPN and Remote desktop connection problems

I tried but I must be doing something wrong. I opened the router
software (netgear 108Mbps).

Under port services I selected Telnet.
Service type: TCP
Starting port: 3389
Ending Port: 3389
Server IP address 172.16.1.1

I get the message: *Default service type/port is not changeable.*

At the Starting & Ending Port selections is says: 1 ~ 65534

My home network is your basic windows client network with 3 pc and
another location to plug in the notebook to an ethernet cord. The IP
address is the routers address.

What did I do wrong?

--
buddy

cruzinvista is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: VPN and Remote desktop connection problems
Are you attempting to Remote Desktop into your office computer by computer name? Silly question but have you tried connecting by IP address?