Accessing files on Windows Vista from Win 95

gg56@iprimus.com.au

Accessing files on Windows Vista from Win 95
I have installed Vista on a computer that is being used as a media
server. I have a number of old computers running Windows 95 that I use
to play music stored on the server, with DOS software, MPXPlay. The
system ran well with Windows XP, now I can't access the files from the
Windows 95 computers. I have given the shared folders Guest access
permission, password protected sharing is turned off. I can access the
files OK on several XP computers.

If I try to copy a file from Vista to the Win95 computer (via the Win
95 computer) the Win 95 desktop freezes for about a minute, then the
error message I get is: Error copying File: Cannot copy xxx The
specified network resource or device is no longer available.

Is there a way to fix this, or must I go back to XP?

=?Utf-8?B?TWljaw==?=

RE: Accessing files on Windows Vista from Win 95
I was wondering if it something to do with the old FAT file system on '95
Mick

"gg56@iprimus.com.au" wrote:

> I have installed Vista on a computer that is being used as a media
> server. I have a number of old computers running Windows 95 that I use
> to play music stored on the server, with DOS software, MPXPlay. The
> system ran well with Windows XP, now I can't access the files from the
> Windows 95 computers. I have given the shared folders Guest access
> permission, password protected sharing is turned off. I can access the
> files OK on several XP computers.
>
> If I try to copy a file from Vista to the Win95 computer (via the Win
> 95 computer) the Win 95 desktop freezes for about a minute, then the
> error message I get is: Error copying File: Cannot copy xxx The
> specified network resource or device is no longer available.
>
> Is there a way to fix this, or must I go back to XP?

=?Utf-8?B?TWFyaw==?=

RE: Accessing files on Windows Vista from Win 95
I received the response below from Robert L [MVP - Networking] regarding
sharing between 98 and Vista. Reading the suggested link, it looks like the
same probably applies to 95 as well. The thread is at
http://www.microsoft.com/communities...a-a0fafe98a9f3 - provided links that long don't get broken ;o)