Media Center Extender Help (XBox 360 & Vista Home Premium)

drpatazi

Media Center Extender Help (XBox 360 & Vista Home Premium)

I am struggling to connect my XBox 360, as a Media Center Extender, to
my HP Pavilion TX1410US laptop (which is running Vista Home Premium).

I had a Windows XP Media Center computer hooked up over my existing
home network and it worked fine. I deleted that connection through the
first computer and disconnected it through the 360 as well. I was able
to obtain a new setup key through the 360 and enter it into Media
Center on the Vista computer.

On the 360 side, I am able to get an all black screen that says
"Windows Media Center contacting..." in the center of my TV (through
the 360), but it always ends with a "Connection Terminated" or "Media
Center Extender Error." On the Vista side, I am able to go through all
of the steps of setting up an Extender, but it always fails to connect
at the last step.

I know that the two can see each other, as I am able to stream music
from the Vista computer to the 360... I just cannot make the Media
Center work!

I have spent a lot of time troubleshooting this using online forums and
Microsoft instructional pages. I installed Vista SP1 about halfway
through and achieved the same results as before. I have checked every
driver I can think of for updates but nothing has helped. I have made
a direct connection from the Vista computer to the 360 and experienced
the exact same problem (theoretically ruling out a problem with my
router or home network). I have checked to ensure that the Media
Center is allowed through the Windows firewall, and it is. Just to be
sure, I've also tried disabling the firewall entirely with the same
results. I have made sure that the extender service is running on my
Vista computer and have restarted it to be certain. I have checked
error logging and found nothing. I have restarted both the Vista
computer and the 360 numerous times along the way. I have also broken
the Extender connection several times and tried again with a new setup
key from the 360...

I am completely out of ideas. It seems to me that something on the
Vista computer is not working properly or is configured wrong. Anyone
have any ideas what it could be or how to fix it???

Thanks!

J.R.

--
drpatazi
drpatazi's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=50018

http://forums.techarena.in

Barb Bowman

Re: Media Center Extender Help (XBox 360 & Vista Home Premium)
This is most likely the fingerprint reader software interfering..

--

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP
drpatazi

Re: Media Center Extender Help (XBox 360 & Vista Home Premium)

Well, that did it!!! After everything else, all I had to do was
uninstall the Verisoft Access Manager and Media Center was fixed!

Thanks!

J.R.

--
drpatazi
drpatazi's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=50018
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=972624

http://forums.techarena.in

Barb Bowman

Re: Media Center Extender Help (XBox 360 & Vista Home Premium)
thanks for letting us know. glad this resolved the issue for you.

--

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP
chewey14

Re: Media Center Extender Help (XBox 360 & Vista Home Premium)

60% of the time it works every time! Seriously, I spent 2 hours talking
to XBox customer support with no resolution. After searching the
internet and finding this forum, my problem was solved! I too have a
fingerprint reader installed on my HP laptop and after uninstalling
Verisoft Access Manager, my Windows Media Center Extender began working.
Although, I can no longer log in to my computer with a swipe of my
finger, I was glad to finally find a solution. If anyone knows how to
have the best of both worlds please let me know (chewey14@yahoo.com).
Thanks to the genius who figured this weird problem out.

--
chewey14
chewey14's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/chewey14.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Barb Bowman

Re: Media Center Extender Help (XBox 360 & Vista Home Premium)
Glad you found the answer. There is still no solution to this one.

On Thu, 1 Jan 2009 10:41:45 +0530, chewey14
<chewey14.3lbjvd@DoNotSpam.com> wrote:

>60% of the time it works every time! Seriously, I spent 2 hours talking
>to XBox customer support with no resolution. After searching the
>internet and finding this forum, my problem was solved! I too have a
>fingerprint reader installed on my HP laptop and after uninstalling
>Verisoft Access Manager, my Windows Media Center Extender began working.
>Although, I can no longer log in to my computer with a swipe of my
>finger, I was glad to finally find a solution. If anyone knows how to
>have the best of both worlds please let me know (chewey14@yahoo.com).
>Thanks to the genius who figured this weird problem out.

--

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP
http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com
Georgeo

Re: Media Center Extender Help (XBox 360 & Vista Home Premium)

Hi, I am also experiencing a similar problem when I try to setup my
Windows Media Centre Extender (Laptop - HP DV5-1009 32Bit Windows Vista
Home Premium) to talk to my Xbox360 Media Centre. I can stream video
and audio files no problem through the Xbox Music and video Libraries
(via Windows media Player I think, but a different story when trying to
use media centre). On the Laptop during the extender setup it cannot
complete the very last step (I enter the 8 digit code, etc, at the same
time the Xbox360 says that the PC has been disconnected either because
it has been turned off, or network conjestion, etc, restart Xbox.
Clearly the Laptop is still connected, still on, no network conjestion,
etc, tried a few times and does the exact same thing. Tried with both
static and auto IP addresses on the xbox, enabled the correct ports on
the router (D-Link G604T), setup the DMZ for that static IP, am using
hard wired ethernet to connections to both xbox and laptop, - media
sharing is also enabled on my laptop.

Also, Should there be a problem with streaming files using my laptop
wireless to my router and hard wired to my Xbox? Because for the life
of me I can only stream files via a cable and will not connect at all
with the laptop wireless, I don't understand why this won't work.

On my type of HP laptop the fingerprint program reader is called
"Digital Persona". Could this be the culprit as per the previous entry?
Should I go ahead and uninstall this program and try? Any help or
ideas would be greatly appreciated.

--
Georgeo
Georgeo's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/georgeo.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-v...ork/972624.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Barb Bowman

Re: Media Center Extender Help (XBox 360 & Vista Home Premium)
Yes, this is the most likely cause. You may be able to disable it as
opposed to uninstalling it. I believe HP has this available as a
download so if you do uninstall, you can reinstall (altho it will
break the extender functionality).

On Wed, 7 Jan 2009 17:02:57 +0530, Georgeo
<Georgeo.3ln7bb@DoNotSpam.com> wrote:

>On my type of HP laptop the fingerprint program reader is called
>"Digital Persona". Could this be the culprit as per the previous entry?
>Should I go ahead and uninstall this program and try? Any help or
>ideas would be greatly appreciated.

--

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP
http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com
Georgeo

Re: Media Center Extender Help (XBox 360 & Vista Home Premium)

Cool thanks, I'll try that tonight. Just one other thing I noticed last
night whilst playing around was that on my laptop when I click Start ->
Network, whilst connected to the Xbox (Laptop hard-wired to the router),
the Xbox360 Icon is there with my router, printer, etc, when I open
media centre on the Xbox, There is a black screen on the TV with the
media centre logo and some bars on the bottom scrolling while it trys to
connect, while this is hapening, another Xbox360 Icon comes up on the
laptop Network page but it is called "Xbox360 Extender", I noticed that
in the properties of both of these Icons, they both have the same IP
adresss as each other as allocated by the router gateway, is this
normal? could this be causing a problem as the laptop maybe seeing two
different devices with an IP clash?

I still can't figure out why using the laptop wireless to the router
wont work as it will only connect while connected to the router with
ethernet cable?

--
Georgeo
Georgeo's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/georgeo.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-v...ork/972624.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Georgeo

Re: Media Center Extender Help (XBox 360 & Vista Home Premium)

Ok that worked!

I simply disabled Digital Persona - who would have though fingerprint
reading software would screw with Windows Media Centre!

But I still cant get it to work with the laptop wireless??