Vista -> XP file sharing

stevef

Vista -> XP file sharing
I have very similar question to one below, but the other way around. I have
a network of four computers: Prospero (Windows Me), Server (Windows XP pro),
Miranda (laptop/wireless, Windows XP pro), and Sound (Vista Home Premium).

Sound only sees the XP computers in the mapping facility, but does not see
their shared volumes, so I can't use them. It also doesn't see the shared
volume of an Iomega network drive.

All the others can see the shared folders on the Sound, although Sound won't
accept the password entered from Prospero (Windows ME) so it can't open the
shared volumes. I've tried with and without password access to the Vista
machine. I want to upgrade Server to Vista Business, but I'm not going to do
this until I can fix this issue. (I've gone through all the troubleshooting
steps.)

As an aside, if I try to mount the network drive using the Iomega utility,
it says Network Service not started, but it doesn't tell me which service.
The event list doesn't really help either.

Any ideas?

Steve
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Vista -> XP file sharing
What's the system error if using this command on Vista: net view
\\xpipaddress?

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
"stevef" <stevef@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have very similar question to one below, but the other way around. I
>have
> a network of four computers: Prospero (Windows Me), Server (Windows XP
> pro),
> Miranda (laptop/wireless, Windows XP pro), and Sound (Vista Home Premium).
>
> Sound only sees the XP computers in the mapping facility, but does not see
> their shared volumes, so I can't use them. It also doesn't see the shared
> volume of an Iomega network drive.
>
> All the others can see the shared folders on the Sound, although Sound
> won't
> accept the password entered from Prospero (Windows ME) so it can't open
> the
> shared volumes. I've tried with and without password access to the Vista
> machine. I want to upgrade Server to Vista Business, but I'm not going to
> do
> this until I can fix this issue. (I've gone through all the
> troubleshooting
> steps.)
>
> As an aside, if I try to mount the network drive using the Iomega utility,
> it says Network Service not started, but it doesn't tell me which service.
> The event list doesn't really help either.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Steve

stevef

Re: Vista -> XP file sharing
It says the Workstation service is not started.

I've looked in services and tried to start it, but it has some dependencies
that I can't find on the list: Bowser, SMB 1.x, and SMB 2.0. I've found the
others and made sure they were running.

I've seen Bowser somewhere before, but now I can't find it.

Steve

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> What's the system error if using this command on Vista: net view
> \\xpipaddress?
>
> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> "stevef" <stevef@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have very similar question to one below, but the other way around. I
> >have
> > a network of four computers: Prospero (Windows Me), Server (Windows XP
> > pro),
> > Miranda (laptop/wireless, Windows XP pro), and Sound (Vista Home Premium).
> >
> > Sound only sees the XP computers in the mapping facility, but does not see
> > their shared volumes, so I can't use them. It also doesn't see the shared
> > volume of an Iomega network drive.
> >
> > All the others can see the shared folders on the Sound, although Sound
> > won't
> > accept the password entered from Prospero (Windows ME) so it can't open
> > the
> > shared volumes. I've tried with and without password access to the Vista
> > machine. I want to upgrade Server to Vista Business, but I'm not going to
> > do
> > this until I can fix this issue. (I've gone through all the
> > troubleshooting
> > steps.)
> >
> > As an aside, if I try to mount the network drive using the Iomega utility,
> > it says Network Service not started, but it doesn't tell me which service.
> > The event list doesn't really help either.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > Steve

Lenny Jacobs

Re: Vista -> XP file sharing
I had a similar problem that I worked on for months, with many suggestions
from the MVP's monitoring this group, to no avail. I finally figured it out
after I downloaded and ran a utility called browstat.exe. I discovered that
my Simpletech NAS was assuming the role of browse master. It seems that this
configutation is not compatable with Vista. I moved the NAS to a different
workgroup and finally I was able to see all of the shares from the Vista
computer..

"stevef" <stevef@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have very similar question to one below, but the other way around. I
>have
> a network of four computers: Prospero (Windows Me), Server (Windows XP
> pro),
> Miranda (laptop/wireless, Windows XP pro), and Sound (Vista Home Premium).
>
> Sound only sees the XP computers in the mapping facility, but does not see
> their shared volumes, so I can't use them. It also doesn't see the shared
> volume of an Iomega network drive.
>
> All the others can see the shared folders on the Sound, although Sound
> won't
> accept the password entered from Prospero (Windows ME) so it can't open
> the
> shared volumes. I've tried with and without password access to the Vista
> machine. I want to upgrade Server to Vista Business, but I'm not going to
> do
> this until I can fix this issue. (I've gone through all the
> troubleshooting
> steps.)
>
> As an aside, if I try to mount the network drive using the Iomega utility,
> it says Network Service not started, but it doesn't tell me which service.
> The event list doesn't really help either.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Steve

stevef

Re: Vista -> XP file sharing
So if I turn off my network drive altogether, it should work?

"Lenny Jacobs" wrote:

> I had a similar problem that I worked on for months, with many suggestions
> from the MVP's monitoring this group, to no avail. I finally figured it out
> after I downloaded and ran a utility called browstat.exe. I discovered that
> my Simpletech NAS was assuming the role of browse master. It seems that this
> configutation is not compatable with Vista. I moved the NAS to a different
> workgroup and finally I was able to see all of the shares from the Vista
> computer..
>
> "stevef" <stevef@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have very similar question to one below, but the other way around. I
> >have
> > a network of four computers: Prospero (Windows Me), Server (Windows XP
> > pro),
> > Miranda (laptop/wireless, Windows XP pro), and Sound (Vista Home Premium).
> >
> > Sound only sees the XP computers in the mapping facility, but does not see
> > their shared volumes, so I can't use them. It also doesn't see the shared
> > volume of an Iomega network drive.
> >
> > All the others can see the shared folders on the Sound, although Sound
> > won't
> > accept the password entered from Prospero (Windows ME) so it can't open
> > the
> > shared volumes. I've tried with and without password access to the Vista
> > machine. I want to upgrade Server to Vista Business, but I'm not going to
> > do
> > this until I can fix this issue. (I've gone through all the
> > troubleshooting
> > steps.)
> >
> > As an aside, if I try to mount the network drive using the Iomega utility,
> > it says Network Service not started, but it doesn't tell me which service.
> > The event list doesn't really help either.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > Steve

Lenny Jacobs

Re: Vista -> XP file sharing
That's what I did at first as a test. When I turned off, or simply unplugged
the ethernet connector from the NAS, after a minute or so the Vista computer
became browse master, and I was able to see all of my shares. Then I
accessed the admin page of the NAS and changed the name of the workgroup.
After that I was able to see all of the shares and also access the NAS.

> So if I turn off my network drive altogether, it should work?
>
> "Lenny Jacobs" wrote:
>
>> I had a similar problem that I worked on for months, with many
>> suggestions
>> from the MVP's monitoring this group, to no avail. I finally figured it
>> out
>> after I downloaded and ran a utility called browstat.exe. I discovered
>> that
>> my Simpletech NAS was assuming the role of browse master. It seems that
>> this
>> configutation is not compatable with Vista. I moved the NAS to a
>> different
>> workgroup and finally I was able to see all of the shares from the Vista
>> computer..
>>
>> "stevef" <stevef@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have very similar question to one below, but the other way around. I
>> >have
>> > a network of four computers: Prospero (Windows Me), Server (Windows XP
>> > pro),
>> > Miranda (laptop/wireless, Windows XP pro), and Sound (Vista Home
>> > Premium).
>> >
>> > Sound only sees the XP computers in the mapping facility, but does not
>> > see
>> > their shared volumes, so I can't use them. It also doesn't see the
>> > shared
>> > volume of an Iomega network drive.
>> >
>> > All the others can see the shared folders on the Sound, although Sound
>> > won't
>> > accept the password entered from Prospero (Windows ME) so it can't open
>> > the
>> > shared volumes. I've tried with and without password access to the
>> > Vista
>> > machine. I want to upgrade Server to Vista Business, but I'm not going
>> > do
>> > this until I can fix this issue. (I've gone through all the
>> > troubleshooting
>> > steps.)
>> >
>> > As an aside, if I try to mount the network drive using the Iomega
>> > utility,
>> > it says Network Service not started, but it doesn't tell me which
>> > service.
>> > The event list doesn't really help either.
>> >
>> > Any ideas?
>> >
>> > Steve

stevef

Re: Vista -> XP file sharing