Connecting to printer on XP via wireless from a Vista laptop.

=?Utf-8?B?RWQ=?=

Connecting to printer on XP via wireless from a Vista laptop.

Having problems connecting to a printer on a XP desktop via wireless router,
from a laptop running Vista. Other xp laptop can connect to xp desktop and
print with no problems. However when I try to connect to the xp desktop
printer from the vista laptop, a message box appers saying 'Windows cannot
coonect to the printer, access is denied'.

I have shared the printers on both computers and set up private network and
print sharing on the vista laptop using the network discovery.

Apologies for posting same question again.

Ed
AJR

Re: Connecting to printer on XP via wireless from a Vista laptop.
I do not have the solution - however I print from Vista via XP printer - so
it is possible.

"Ed" <Ed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Having problems connecting to a printer on a XP desktop via wireless
> router,
> from a laptop running Vista. Other xp laptop can connect to xp desktop and
> print with no problems. However when I try to connect to the xp desktop
> printer from the vista laptop, a message box appers saying 'Windows cannot
> coonect to the printer, access is denied'.
>
> I have shared the printers on both computers and set up private network
> and
> print sharing on the vista laptop using the network discovery.
>
> Apologies for posting same question again.
>
> Ed

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBQ?=

Re: Connecting to printer on XP via wireless from a Vista laptop.
AJR,

What printer are you using? How did you set it up on the Vista machine?

John

"AJR" wrote:

> I do not have the solution - however I print from Vista via XP printer - so
> it is possible.
>
> "Ed" <Ed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Having problems connecting to a printer on a XP desktop via wireless
> > router,
> > from a laptop running Vista. Other xp laptop can connect to xp desktop and
> > print with no problems. However when I try to connect to the xp desktop
> > printer from the vista laptop, a message box appers saying 'Windows cannot
> > coonect to the printer, access is denied'.
> >
> > I have shared the printers on both computers and set up private network
> > and
> > print sharing on the vista laptop using the network discovery.
> >
> > Apologies for posting same question again.
> >
> > Ed

OPSMP

RE: Connecting to printer on XP via wireless from a Vista laptop.
Here is one that i used it has worked for me sofar. Hope it helps

Steven Thibodeaux

"Ed" wrote:

> Having problems connecting to a printer on a XP desktop via wireless router,
> from a laptop running Vista. Other xp laptop can connect to xp desktop and
> print with no problems. However when I try to connect to the xp desktop
> printer from the vista laptop, a message box appers saying 'Windows cannot
> coonect to the printer, access is denied'.
>
> I have shared the printers on both computers and set up private network and
> print sharing on the vista laptop using the network discovery.
>
> Apologies for posting same question again.
>
> Ed

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Connecting to printer on XP via wireless from a Vista laptop.
Yes, we have many cases like that. Thank you for inputs.

Vista: Cannot connect to the ...I was pulling my hair out trying to connect my vista pc to my xp pc based printer. I used the add local printer suggestion and it worked like a charm. ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...c01c5 d22356f

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE

"Ed" wrote:

> Having problems connecting to a printer on a XP desktop via wireless router,
> from a laptop running Vista. Other xp laptop can connect to xp desktop and
> print with no problems. However when I try to connect to the xp desktop
> printer from the vista laptop, a message box appers saying 'Windows cannot
> coonect to the printer, access is denied'.
>
> I have shared the printers on both computers and set up private network and
> print sharing on the vista laptop using the network discovery.
>
> Apologies for posting same question again.
>
> Ed

AK

"Ed" wrote:

> Having problems connecting to a printer on a XP desktop via wireless router,
> from a laptop running Vista. Other xp laptop can connect to xp desktop and
> print with no problems. However when I try to connect to the xp desktop
> printer from the vista laptop, a message box appers saying 'Windows cannot
> coonect to the printer, access is denied'.
>
> I have shared the printers on both computers and set up private network and
> print sharing on the vista laptop using the network discovery.
>
> Apologies for posting same question again.
>
> Ed

AK

Re: Connecting to printer on XP via wireless from a Vista laptop.
Please help - I'm bald from pulling out my hair.
I have connected to printer on xp machine from vista machine.
When attempting to print jobs go to the queue but just spool there and sit
never printing out. It took hours to get to this point but cannot figure
out what this problem can be caused by!!!!!

"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

> Yes, we have many cases like that. Thank you for inputs.
>
> Vista: Cannot connect to the ...I was pulling my hair out trying to connect my vista pc to my xp pc based printer. I used the add local printer suggestion and it worked like a charm. ...
> http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...c01c5 d22356f
>

> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> "OPSMP" <OPSMP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:81E88735-1F9E-4D44-9586-FCBAD6EEEADA@microsoft.com...
> Here is one that i used it has worked for me sofar. Hope it helps
>
> Steven Thibodeaux
>
> > To share printers across a network between Vista x64 and any other operating
> > system do the following.
> >
> > Vista
> > ------
> > Click Start >> Control Panel >> Hardware and Sound >> Printers
> > Click on Add a printer
> > Select Add a local printer
> > Create a new port >> Local Port >> Click on Next
> > Enter the port name for the network printer (i.e. \\Computer Name\Printer
> > Name)
> > Select the printer from the list
> > Continue until the printer is installed.
> >
> > Other operating systems
> > ----------------------------
> > Find the Add printer wizard and do exactly the same method as for Vista.
> >
> > With any luck your printer will already have printer drivers included with
> > Vista and obtaining drivers for other operating systems if they are missing
> > should not be a problem.
> >

> "Ed" wrote:
>

> > Having problems connecting to a printer on a XP desktop via wireless router,
> > from a laptop running Vista. Other xp laptop can connect to xp desktop and
> > print with no problems. However when I try to connect to the xp desktop
> > printer from the vista laptop, a message box appers saying 'Windows cannot
> > coonect to the printer, access is denied'.
> >
> > I have shared the printers on both computers and set up private network and
> > print sharing on the vista laptop using the network discovery.
> >
> > Apologies for posting same question again.
> >
> > Ed

fenceman55

RE: Connecting to printer on XP via wireless from a Vista laptop.
this fix worked for me too. thank you so much.

"OPSMP" wrote:

> Here is one that i used it has worked for me sofar. Hope it helps
>
> Steven Thibodeaux
>
> > To share printers across a network between Vista x64 and any other operating
> > system do the following.
> >
> > Vista
> > ------
> > Click Start >> Control Panel >> Hardware and Sound >> Printers
> > Click on Add a printer
> > Select Add a local printer
> > Create a new port >> Local Port >> Click on Next
> > Enter the port name for the network printer (i.e. \\Computer Name\Printer
> > Name)
> > Select the printer from the list
> > Continue until the printer is installed.
> >
> > Other operating systems
> > ----------------------------
> > Find the Add printer wizard and do exactly the same method as for Vista.
> >
> > With any luck your printer will already have printer drivers included with
> > Vista and obtaining drivers for other operating systems if they are missing
> > should not be a problem.
> >

> "Ed" wrote:
>

> > Having problems connecting to a printer on a XP desktop via wireless router,
> > from a laptop running Vista. Other xp laptop can connect to xp desktop and
> > print with no problems. However when I try to connect to the xp desktop
> > printer from the vista laptop, a message box appers saying 'Windows cannot
> > coonect to the printer, access is denied'.
> >
> > I have shared the printers on both computers and set up private network and
> > print sharing on the vista laptop using the network discovery.
> >
> > Apologies for posting same question again.
> >
> > Ed

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Connecting to printer on XP via wireless from a Vista laptop.
Thank you for the feedback.

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"fenceman55" <fenceman55@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> this fix worked for me too. thank you so much.
>
> "OPSMP" wrote:
>
>> Here is one that i used it has worked for me sofar. Hope it helps
>>
>> Steven Thibodeaux
>>
>> > To share printers across a network between Vista x64 and any other
>> > operating
>> > system do the following.
>> >
>> > Vista
>> > ------
>> > Click Start >> Control Panel >> Hardware and Sound >> Printers
>> > Click on Add a printer
>> > Select Add a local printer
>> > Create a new port >> Local Port >> Click on Next
>> > Enter the port name for the network printer (i.e. \\Computer
>> > Name\Printer
>> > Name)
>> > Select the printer from the list
>> > Continue until the printer is installed.
>> >
>> > Other operating systems
>> > ----------------------------
>> > Find the Add printer wizard and do exactly the same method as for
>> > Vista.
>> >
>> > With any luck your printer will already have printer drivers included
>> > with
>> > Vista and obtaining drivers for other operating systems if they are
>> > missing
>> > should not be a problem.
>> >

>> "Ed" wrote:
>>

>> > Having problems connecting to a printer on a XP desktop via wireless
>> > router,
>> > from a laptop running Vista. Other xp laptop can connect to xp desktop
>> > and
>> > print with no problems. However when I try to connect to the xp desktop
>> > printer from the vista laptop, a message box appers saying 'Windows
>> > cannot
>> > coonect to the printer, access is denied'.
>> >
>> > I have shared the printers on both computers and set up private network
>> > and
>> > print sharing on the vista laptop using the network discovery.
>> >
>> > Apologies for posting same question again.
>> >
>> > Ed

Eric Dummett

RE: Connecting to printer on XP via wireless from a Vista laptop.
Worked perfectly. I suspect the root cause may have been that my printer
which is XP compatible is not Vista compatible, according to the OEM's
website. I am using a substitute driver that is Vista compatible. I will
have to test to see what functionality I actually have.

Many thanks !