zero wireless config

=?Utf-8?B?d2FtbWFj?=

zero wireless config
I have vista on a laptop. I need to disable windows fron configuring my
wireless connection so I can use the utility from wireless adapter. In XP is
could use the zero auto config, but I can not find it in vista.
Any suggestions?
Eric Cross [MVP]

Re: zero wireless config
Hello,

In Windows Vista, it has been renamed to WLAN AutoConfig. It is towards the
bottom.

--
Eric Cross
Microsoft MVP (Windows Networking)

"wammac" <wammac@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have vista on a laptop. I need to disable windows fron configuring my
> wireless connection so I can use the utility from wireless adapter. In XP
> is
> could use the zero auto config, but I can not find it in vista.
> Any suggestions?

=?Utf-8?B?d2FtbWFj?=

Re: zero wireless config
Eric,
thank you. I disabled WLAN auto config but I still cannot get my wireless
utility to show the wireless network tab.

"Eric Cross [MVP]" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> In Windows Vista, it has been renamed to WLAN AutoConfig. It is towards the
> bottom.
>
> --
> Eric Cross
> Microsoft MVP (Windows Networking)
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
>

> "wammac" <wammac@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have vista on a laptop. I need to disable windows fron configuring my
> > wireless connection so I can use the utility from wireless adapter. In XP
> > is
> > could use the zero auto config, but I can not find it in vista.
> > Any suggestions?

Barb Bowman

Re: zero wireless config
why not try the built in functions of vista to manage your wireless
and not the third party utility? what is the reason you wish to use
that utility?

On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 07:31:08 -0700, wammac

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP
=?Utf-8?B?d2FtbWFj?=

Re: zero wireless config
I have tried using vista. I get limited connection on my network, and can't
connect to my Netgear router. It happened to me before on my XP machines
until I disabled windows to control my wireless connection, and used the
manufacturers utility.
I thought it would be easier to change the vista settings instead of
reconfiguring my
existing network.

"Barb Bowman" wrote:

> why not try the built in functions of vista to manage your wireless
> and not the third party utility? what is the reason you wish to use
> that utility?
>
> On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 07:31:08 -0700, wammac
> <wammac@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I have vista on a laptop. I need to disable windows fron configuring my
> >wireless connection so I can use the utility from wireless adapter. In XP is
> >could use the zero auto config, but I can not find it in vista.
> >Any suggestions?

> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS Windows-MVP

Barb Bowman

Re: zero wireless config
which router and what version firmware?

On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 15:35:22 -0700, wammac
<wammac@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have tried using vista. I get limited connection on my network, and can't
>connect to my Netgear router. It happened to me before on my XP machines
>until I disabled windows to control my wireless connection, and used the
>manufacturers utility.
>I thought it would be easier to change the vista settings instead of
>reconfiguring my
>existing network.
>
>"Barb Bowman" wrote:
>
>> why not try the built in functions of vista to manage your wireless
>> and not the third party utility? what is the reason you wish to use
>> that utility?
>>
>> On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 07:31:08 -0700, wammac
>> <wammac@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I have vista on a laptop. I need to disable windows fron configuring my
>> >wireless connection so I can use the utility from wireless adapter. In XP is
>> >could use the zero auto config, but I can not find it in vista.
>> >Any suggestions?

>> --
>>
>> Barb Bowman
>> MS Windows-MVP
>> Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP
Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist
=?Utf-8?B?d2FtbWFj?=

Re: zero wireless config
Netgear router WGR614v6 54mbps

"Barb Bowman" wrote:

> which router and what version firmware?
>
> On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 15:35:22 -0700, wammac
> <wammac@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I have tried using vista. I get limited connection on my network, and can't
> >connect to my Netgear router. It happened to me before on my XP machines
> >until I disabled windows to control my wireless connection, and used the
> >manufacturers utility.
> >I thought it would be easier to change the vista settings instead of
> >reconfiguring my
> >existing network.
> >
> >"Barb Bowman" wrote:
> >
> >> why not try the built in functions of vista to manage your wireless
> >> and not the third party utility? what is the reason you wish to use
> >> that utility?

> >> --
> >>
> >> Barb Bowman
> >> MS Windows-MVP
> >> Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
> >> http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/
> >>

> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS Windows-MVP

Pavel A.

Re: zero wireless config
"wammac" <wammac@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:949271E0-F244-4735-BB69-DE9D99A11635@microsoft.com...
>I have tried using vista. I get limited connection on my network, and can't
> connect to my Netgear router. It happened to me before on my XP machines
> until I disabled windows to control my wireless connection, and used the
> manufacturers utility.
> I thought it would be easier to change the vista settings instead of
> reconfiguring my
> existing network.

It is unlikely that manufacturer of your wireless adapter provides an utility for Vista.
Your only option for Vista currently is the WLAN AutoConfig. Getting the latest
driver update definitely may help.

Regards,
--PA

> "Barb Bowman" wrote:
>
>> why not try the built in functions of vista to manage your wireless
>> and not the third party utility? what is the reason you wish to use
>> that utility?
>>
>> On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 07:31:08 -0700, wammac
>> <wammac@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I have vista on a laptop. I need to disable windows fron configuring my
>> >wireless connection so I can use the utility from wireless adapter. In XP is
>> >could use the zero auto config, but I can not find it in vista.
>> >Any suggestions?

>> --
>>
>> Barb Bowman
>> MS Windows-MVP
>> Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist

=?Utf-8?B?d2FtbWFj?=

Re: zero wireless config
netgear wgr614 v6 v2.013_1.0.13na

"Barb Bowman" wrote:

> which router and what version firmware?
>
> On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 15:35:22 -0700, wammac
> <wammac@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I have tried using vista. I get limited connection on my network, and can't
> >connect to my Netgear router. It happened to me before on my XP machines
> >until I disabled windows to control my wireless connection, and used the
> >manufacturers utility.
> >I thought it would be easier to change the vista settings instead of
> >reconfiguring my
> >existing network.
> >
> >"Barb Bowman" wrote:
> >
> >> why not try the built in functions of vista to manage your wireless
> >> and not the third party utility? what is the reason you wish to use
> >> that utility?

> >> --
> >>
> >> Barb Bowman
> >> MS Windows-MVP
> >> Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
> >> http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/
> >>

> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS Windows-MVP

Barb Bowman

Re: zero wireless config
That is the latest firmware. As Pavel posted, newer NIC driver may
help. You will need to connect with a wired NIC and use Windows
Update to see if there is a better/newer wireless driver. Please
post back here either way.

On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 19:19:08 -0700, wammac