networking vista and xp

js

networking vista and xp
I have an sp network and have just added a vista pc. I can see the xp
machines from the vista pc and can see the vista pc from the xp machines. I
can also print from the vista machine. But I can't access any the xp
machines from the vista pc and I can't access the vista pc from the xp
machines. I keep getting the error that the path was not found or that I
don't have the correct permission. I'm setup as a user on both machines.

Any suggestions as to what I may be missing?

Thanks
Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Re: networking vista and xp
Hi
http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
allowed to be shared.
Vista File and Printer Sharing-
http://www.microsoft.com/techn...evaluate/vista_fp.mspx
Windows XP File Sharing -
Printer Sharing XP -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"js" <js@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have an sp network and have just added a vista pc. I can see the xp
> machines from the vista pc and can see the vista pc from the xp machines.
> can also print from the vista machine. But I can't access any the xp
> machines from the vista pc and I can't access the vista pc from the xp
> machines. I keep getting the error that the path was not found or that I
> don't have the correct permission. I'm setup as a user on both machines.
>
> Any suggestions as to what I may be missing?
>
> Thanks

Chuck [MVP]

Re: networking vista and xp
On Mon, 12 May 2008 12:04:01 -0700, js <js@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have an sp network and have just added a vista pc. I can see the xp
>machines from the vista pc and can see the vista pc from the xp machines. I
>can also print from the vista machine. But I can't access any the xp
>machines from the vista pc and I can't access the vista pc from the xp
>machines. I keep getting the error that the path was not found or that I
>don't have the correct permission. I'm setup as a user on both machines.
>
>Any suggestions as to what I may be missing?
>
>Thanks

In many cases this will be caused by a personal firewall or other security
program interfering with SMBs.
<http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2005/05/your-personal-firewall-can-either-help.html>
http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2005...ther-help.html

Try diagnosing the problem, using logs from "browstat status", "ipconfig /all",
"net config server", and "net config workstation", from each computer. Read
this article, and linked articles, and follow instructions precisely (Download
browstat, and run all programs in Vista from a command window started as
admin.):
<http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2005/05/troubleshooting-network-neighborhood.html#AskingForHelp>
http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2005...#AskingForHelp

--
Cheers,
http://networking.nitecruzr.net/
Gordon

Re: networking vista and xp
"js" <js@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have an sp network and have just added a vista pc. I can see the xp
> machines from the vista pc and can see the vista pc from the xp machines.
> can also print from the vista machine. But I can't access any the xp
> machines from the vista pc and I can't access the vista pc from the xp
> machines. I keep getting the error that the path was not found or that I
> don't have the correct permission. I'm setup as a user on both machines.
>
> Any suggestions as to what I may be missing?
>
> Thanks

Does each user have a password, and is it the same password on each machine?