Windows Vista - Trouble getting connected to Internet

proficient@gmail.com

Windows Vista - Trouble getting connected to Internet
Hi all,
I have a compaq laptop with Windows Vista Basic pre-
installed. It has a built in network card. I have ADSL modem which I
have connected to my laptop via USB. The following problem occrus
regardless if I connect via USB or via NIC port.
On my DSL modem DHCP is on, however windows vista was never able to
acquire an IP address from DHCP. When I change it to static ip
(192.168.1.6) and then manually enter the dafault gateway
(192.168.1.1, which is my DSL modem) and then I enter the DNS
addresses of my ISP, then it works.

However the problem is that evertime i logg off/on or shut down the
laptop, I have to repeat this step again. First I make it obtain an IP
address automatically from DHCP(Which doesnt work) then I manually re-
enter the above info. After re-entering the address manually it works.
But as I stated before, I have to repeat this step everytime I logg
off/on or restart. In addition to this, if I leave the laptop for like
20 minutes, then most of the time I have to repeat the above procedure
again.
In my Local Area connectin properties, I have the following items
CHECKED:
1. Client for MS Networks
2. QoS packet Scheduler
3. File & Printer Sharing
4. Internet Protocol Version 4(TCP/IPv4)

The following items are UNCHECKED:
1. Internet Protocol Version 6(TCP/IPv6)
2. Link Layer Topology discovery Mapper I/O Driver.
3. Link Layer Topology Discovery Responder
Please be advised, at one time I had all the above checked, still I
encountered the same problem.

Additionally, my "Network Discovery", "File Sharing", "Public folder
Sharing", Printer Sharing and Media Shraring - all are OFF. Only
PASSWROD PROTECTED SHARING is ON.

Can anyone pleaes help me with this, its kind of frustrating to add
the settings manually every hour.

Thanks in advance.

=?Utf-8?B?c2RpYWw=?=

RE: Windows Vista - Trouble getting connected to Internet
I am having the exact same problem. HP Pavillion, Vistas Home Premium, etc.
Have tried everything. The HP live chat person had me do a system start
repair which did nothing. Help!

"proficient@gmail.com" wrote:

> Hi all,
> I have a compaq laptop with Windows Vista Basic pre-
> installed. It has a built in network card. I have ADSL modem which I
> have connected to my laptop via USB. The following problem occrus
> regardless if I connect via USB or via NIC port.
> On my DSL modem DHCP is on, however windows vista was never able to
> acquire an IP address from DHCP. When I change it to static ip
> (192.168.1.6) and then manually enter the dafault gateway
> (192.168.1.1, which is my DSL modem) and then I enter the DNS
> addresses of my ISP, then it works.
>
> However the problem is that evertime i logg off/on or shut down the
> laptop, I have to repeat this step again. First I make it obtain an IP
> address automatically from DHCP(Which doesnt work) then I manually re-
> enter the above info. After re-entering the address manually it works.
> But as I stated before, I have to repeat this step everytime I logg
> off/on or restart. In addition to this, if I leave the laptop for like
> 20 minutes, then most of the time I have to repeat the above procedure
> again.
> In my Local Area connectin properties, I have the following items
> CHECKED:
> 1. Client for MS Networks
> 2. QoS packet Scheduler
> 3. File & Printer Sharing
> 4. Internet Protocol Version 4(TCP/IPv4)
>
> The following items are UNCHECKED:
> 1. Internet Protocol Version 6(TCP/IPv6)
> 2. Link Layer Topology discovery Mapper I/O Driver.
> 3. Link Layer Topology Discovery Responder
> Please be advised, at one time I had all the above checked, still I
> encountered the same problem.
>
> Additionally, my "Network Discovery", "File Sharing", "Public folder
> Sharing", Printer Sharing and Media Shraring - all are OFF. Only
> PASSWROD PROTECTED SHARING is ON.
>
> Can anyone pleaes help me with this, its kind of frustrating to add
> the settings manually every hour.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Melanie Smith

trouble connecting to the internet
I had my new desktop computer for about 2 weeks and the internet worked fine. then all of a sudden it keeps saying I'm working offline or the webpage can't be found or displayed. I've talked to my IP and taken it to to Circuit City where I bought it and they did a diagonistic test and it worked for them. Nobody knows what to tell me and I'm stuck with a computer that doesn't work. What should I do? I don't know much about computers.

http://www.eggheadcafe.com