Wireless Adaptors 64 bit Vista

Maura

Wireless Adaptors 64 bit Vista
I built my own computer at school this year and ran it on an ethernet cable
all year. Now I'm going home for the summer and want to set up wireless at
home. Are there any 64 bit vista wireless adapters available?
Eric Cross

Re: Wireless Adaptors 64 bit Vista
Hello Maura,

If you haven't already, please see the Windows Vista Hardware Compatibility
List.

http://winqual.microsoft.com/hcl/Default.aspx

--
Eric Cross
Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience)

"Maura" <Maura@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I built my own computer at school this year and ran it on an ethernet cable
> all year. Now I'm going home for the summer and want to set up wireless
> at
> home. Are there any 64 bit vista wireless adapters available?

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Re: Wireless Adaptors 64 bit Vista
Hi
This PCI card is very good. works with Vista 64, and inexpensive.
Jack (MVP-Networking).
Disclaimer - I have no connection with any Brand that manufactures Network
Devices (or any other computer hardware) of any kind, nor any connection
computer's hardware vendors. My comments are as a frame of reference based
on hardware that I buy with my own money.

"Maura" <Maura@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I built my own computer at school this year and ran it on an ethernet cable
> all year. Now I'm going home for the summer and want to set up wireless
> at
> home. Are there any 64 bit vista wireless adapters available?

Maura

Re: Wireless Adaptors 64 bit Vista
Hi
Thanks for the suggestion. I looked at it and when I was reading the
reviews someone said "This card will freeze your system if you are trying to
play a few select online games (World of Warcraft and Team Fortress 2) IF you
are attempting to use it in Windows Vista 64-bit with more then 2 gigs of
ram." I have 4 gb of ram and often play games online. Do have any insight on
this?
Thanks

"Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

> Hi
> This PCI card is very good. works with Vista 64, and inexpensive.
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
> Disclaimer - I have no connection with any Brand that manufactures Network
> Devices (or any other computer hardware) of any kind, nor any connection
> computer's hardware vendors. My comments are as a frame of reference based
> on hardware that I buy with my own money.
>

> "Maura" <Maura@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I built my own computer at school this year and ran it on an ethernet cable
> > all year. Now I'm going home for the summer and want to set up wireless
> > at
> > home. Are there any 64 bit vista wireless adapters available?

Barb Bowman

Re: Wireless Adaptors 64 bit Vista
start here
http://winqual.microsoft.com/HCL/Pro...=v&cid=711&g=d

On Sat, 10 May 2008 07:19:01 -0700, Maura
<Maura@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I built my own computer at school this year and ran it on an ethernet cable
>all year. Now I'm going home for the summer and want to set up wireless at
>home. Are there any 64 bit vista wireless adapters available?

--

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP
Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Re: Wireless Adaptors 64 bit Vista
Hi
If you are looking for hardware that does Not have any consumer negative
reviews a vendor site you would not find any thing.
I use this card and it is working well.
However I am too old for Wireless, or Wire Gaming. . Thus I do not know
what the complains means. Gaming in general is Not as good with Wireless as
it it with Wire No matter what card you use.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Maura" <Maura@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news53E6FF8-E178-4E5B-B380-EEFA70197FAE@microsoft.com...
> Hi
> Thanks for the suggestion. I looked at it and when I was reading the
> reviews someone said "This card will freeze your system if you are trying
> play a few select online games (World of Warcraft and Team Fortress 2) IF
> you
> are attempting to use it in Windows Vista 64-bit with more then 2 gigs of
> ram." I have 4 gb of ram and often play games online. Do have any insight
> on
> this?
> Thanks
>
> "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
>
>> Hi
>> This PCI card is very good. works with Vista 64, and inexpensive.
>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833315041
>> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>> Disclaimer - I have no connection with any Brand that manufactures
>> Network
>> Devices (or any other computer hardware) of any kind, nor any connection
>> computer's hardware vendors. My comments are as a frame of reference
>> based
>> on hardware that I buy with my own money.
>>

>> "Maura" <Maura@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I built my own computer at school this year and ran it on an ethernet
>> >cable
>> > all year. Now I'm going home for the summer and want to set up
>> > wireless
>> > at
>> > home. Are there any 64 bit vista wireless adapters available?

jase.au

Re: Wireless Adaptors 64 bit Vista
It appears that Windows Vista 64 bit looks for wireless networks every 60
secs or so which can cause lag spikes in online games which can be very
frustrating, so I wouldnt be blaming the hardware, as it is a software (a.k.a
Vista issue).

I am sure MS and these so called contributers are well aware of the issue as
it has been mentioned many times but as yet I havent seen any constructive
advice on the issue.

It is also disapointing that they didnt bring the issue up here. What sort
of advice is "Gaming is generally not as good with wireless as it is with
wire" ? Actually in XP I had no issues in wireless gaming once disabling
windows wzc for over 2 years. Unfortunately there is no such option in vista.

Do these forums even get looked at by MS?? Some constructive advice on the
issue or even an inkling that it is a known issue and being dealt with would
be nice...

"Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

> Hi
> If you are looking for hardware that does Not have any consumer negative
> reviews a vendor site you would not find any thing.
> I use this card and it is working well.
> However I am too old for Wireless, or Wire Gaming. . Thus I do not know
> what the complains means. Gaming in general is Not as good with Wireless as
> it it with Wire No matter what card you use.
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
> "Maura" <Maura@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news53E6FF8-E178-4E5B-B380-EEFA70197FAE@microsoft.com...
> > Hi
> > Thanks for the suggestion. I looked at it and when I was reading the
> > reviews someone said "This card will freeze your system if you are trying
> > play a few select online games (World of Warcraft and Team Fortress 2) IF
> > you
> > are attempting to use it in Windows Vista 64-bit with more then 2 gigs of
> > ram." I have 4 gb of ram and often play games online. Do have any insight
> > on
> > this?
> > Thanks
> >
> > "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
> >
> >> Hi
> >> This PCI card is very good. works with Vista 64, and inexpensive.
> >> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833315041
> >> Jack (MVP-Networking).
> >> Disclaimer - I have no connection with any Brand that manufactures
> >> Network
> >> Devices (or any other computer hardware) of any kind, nor any connection
> >> computer's hardware vendors. My comments are as a frame of reference
> >> based
> >> on hardware that I buy with my own money.

jase.au

Re: Wireless Adaptors 64 bit Vista
Maura,

I should point out though that these lag spikles / freezes will generally
not affect normal web browsing and downloads, as my experience dictates
anyway.

I just notce them in online games only.