Can't unshare a folder that was shared in error

neil f

Can't unshare a folder that was shared in error
New to Vista, so fat finger mistakes are occurring. I somehow managed to
share the whole Users folder when in fact I just wanted to share a minor
subfolder on the home network I'm setting up. Now I can't find a way to
unshare it.

The share/unshare option seems to be greyed out in all the obvious places
(e.g. properties). Is it because Users contains the Public folder - which is
permanently shared and can't be changed?

Can anyone help me unshare this folder?

neil f

Re: Can't unshare a folder that was shared in error

"neil f" <news@anf.nildram.co.uk> wrote in message
| New to Vista, so fat finger mistakes are occurring. I somehow managed to
| share the whole Users folder when in fact I just wanted to share a minor
| subfolder on the home network I'm setting up. Now I can't find a way to
| unshare it.
|
| The share/unshare option seems to be greyed out in all the obvious places
| (e.g. properties). Is it because Users contains the Public folder - which
is
| permanently shared and can't be changed?
|
| Can anyone help me unshare this folder?

I now seem to have managed to unshare it, but I'm not sure how. I shut down
all the network connections, which may have helped. I also suspect I didn't
make a mistake when I shared the folder in the first place. Seems I had the
same problem as the poster in thread "XP and Vista Shaing", started on 6
May. When I created a folder inside Users and tried to share it, Users was
shared instead for some reason. Weird.

-Neil F.

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Can't unshare a folder that was shared in error
We had similar issue before. Please check the link and post back with the
result.

You could not stop sharing the ..."You could not stop sharing the selected
folder." It tells me some items are still shared. test
C:\Users\Documents\test This folder is in a shared folder ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...56f6f 51e076c

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
"neil f" <news@anf.nildram.co.uk> wrote in message
> New to Vista, so fat finger mistakes are occurring. I somehow managed to
> share the whole Users folder when in fact I just wanted to share a minor
> subfolder on the home network I'm setting up. Now I can't find a way to
> unshare it.
>
> The share/unshare option seems to be greyed out in all the obvious places
> (e.g. properties). Is it because Users contains the Public folder - which
> is
> permanently shared and can't be changed?
>
> Can anyone help me unshare this folder?

Steve Winograd

Re: Can't unshare a folder that was shared in error
On Fri, 9 May 2008 21:34:20 +0100, "neil f" <news@anf.nildram.co.uk>
wrote:

>New to Vista, so fat finger mistakes are occurring. I somehow managed to
>share the whole Users folder when in fact I just wanted to share a minor
>subfolder on the home network I'm setting up. Now I can't find a way to
>unshare it.
>
>The share/unshare option seems to be greyed out in all the obvious places
>(e.g. properties). Is it because Users contains the Public folder - which is
>permanently shared and can't be changed?
>
>Can anyone help me unshare this folder?

You've found what I think is a bug in Vista: sharing a subfolder in
the Users folder results in the entire Users folder being shared.

To avoid the bug, don't use the "Share" option in the right-click menu
for a folder. To share or unshare a folder, right-click the folder,
click Properties, click the Sharing tab, and click Advanced Sharing.
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com