File / Print Sharing Between Windows Vista and 98

=?Utf-8?B?TWFyaw==?=

File / Print Sharing Between Windows Vista and 98
I am looking into getting Windows Vista on a new laptop. I still have a
Windows 98 machine (which does fine and is not in need of upgrading!) on my
home network. Is it possible to share files and printers between Windows
Vista and 98? I have previously had no problem accessing the Windows 98
machine from Windows 2000, but had trouble from XP (I have ended up using the
command line to map drives from XP, since the GUI methods don't seem to
work!) I have also found that for 98 to access files on 2000 requires that
the user logged in on 98 matches a user on the 2000 machine, which has not
been a problem. It seems that accessing files between 98 and XP is more
difficult than between 98 and 2000. Will things still work between 98 and
Vista, or will it be even more difficult?

Thanks,
Mark.
Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: File / Print Sharing Between Windows Vista and 98
Try to install DSClient on the Win98. This link may have more details,

Networking between Vista and w98
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...opic.php?t=523

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Mark" <Mark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3624CF18-0E53-4124-9EDA-A0FAFE98A9F3@microsoft.com...
[...]

Thanks. I've got hold of a copy of Vista (through MSDN Academic Alliance), so
will try this and let you know if it works. Looks promising though.

Mark.

"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

> Try to install DSClient on the Win98. This link may have more details,
>
> Networking between Vista and w98
> http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...opic.php?t=523
>
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> "Mark" <Mark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3624CF18-0E53-4124-9EDA-A0FAFE98A9F3@microsoft.com...
> I am looking into getting Windows Vista on a new laptop. I still have a
> Windows 98 machine (which does fine and is not in need of upgrading!) on my
> home network. Is it possible to share files and printers between Windows
> Vista and 98? I have previously had no problem accessing the Windows 98
> machine from Windows 2000, but had trouble from XP (I have ended up using the
> command line to map drives from XP, since the GUI methods don't seem to
> work!) I have also found that for 98 to access files on 2000 requires that
> the user logged in on 98 matches a user on the 2000 machine, which has not
> been a problem. It seems that accessing files between 98 and XP is more
> difficult than between 98 and 2000. Will things still work between 98 and
> Vista, or will it be even more difficult?
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

=?Utf-8?B?S2FzaG1pcg==?=

Re: File / Print Sharing Between Windows Vista and 98
I have a ( pretty old) notebook with 98se and a vista pc.
From vista i can share files. But from 98 there is a strange problem. I can
browse through the folders ( its very very slow, it worked with xp and 98se
much better), but when i try to open a music file or copy and paste something
it hangs off, and after about 2 min the message appears :

then i followed the advices of Robert L. installed and activated ntmlv2 on
98, then set on vista ntmlv1 in the registry and so on...., but nothing
changes...only the acces from vista to 98 works now better.

whats wrong?

greetz from germany [ I'm not liable for grammatical defects :-P]
=?Utf-8?B?S2FzaG1pcg==?=

Re: File / Print Sharing Between Windows Vista and 98
with "from vista i can share files" i meaned I can open shared files of 98se
with vista
=?Utf-8?B?S2FzaG1pcg==?=

Re: File / Print Sharing Between Windows Vista and 98
with "from vista i can share files" i meanded i can open shared files of 98
with vista
Mark Bourne

Kashmir wrote:
> I have a ( pretty old) notebook with 98se and a vista pc.
> From vista i can share files. But from 98 there is a strange problem. I can
> browse through the folders ( its very very slow, it worked with xp and 98se
> much better), but when i try to open a music file or copy and paste something
> it hangs off, and after about 2 min the message appears :
>
> then i followed the advices of Robert L. installed and activated ntmlv2 on
> 98, then set on vista ntmlv1 in the registry and so on...., but nothing
> changes...only the acces from vista to 98 works now better.
>
> whats wrong?
>
> greetz from germany [ I'm not liable for grammatical defects :-P]

I haven't had time to try connecting 98 and Vista myself yet, but what
is the message you get? It doesn't seem to have appeared in your post.

Music files can be quite large. Can you copy smaller files (for example,
a small text file), or does the same happen regardless of the file size?

Mark.
=?Utf-8?B?S2FzaG1pcg==?=

Re: File / Print Sharing Between Windows Vista and 98
oh man....
now i neither see vista on 98 nor 98 on vista...why it is so difficult to
create a network on windows machines? so i can´t give you the error message
it sucks
=?Utf-8?B?S2FzaG1pcg==?=

Re: File / Print Sharing Between Windows Vista and 98
but xp pc's i can see on 98. and sharing works fine with them
=?Utf-8?B?S2FzaG1pcg==?=

Re: File / Print Sharing Between Windows Vista and 98
i've found the problem: pc tools wasn´t configured correct. now the computer
see each other.
if there is no solution the get the PCs work toghter, which operating
systems work with windows vista?
i should not need high hardware requirements, because the notebook has 233
mHz and 64 mB. and i have only an usb cd-drive which don't notice the Bios,
so i must install it by an different way, but how? putting the install files
to the harddisk and than open them with dos??