Vista + Norman AV = Slow Network

Dave Griffiths

Vista + Norman AV = Slow Network
Hi All

I am using Vista x64 and while I am very happy with the results and speed I
had one major problem, opening a file over the network was slow and I mean
SLOW.

I conducted tests towards my two different servers opening the same file in
exactly the same depth of directories on the servers. The servers W2K3
completely updated and Fedora Core 8 completely updated. The file was a word
file of 73Kb and only text. The network is a 1 Gbit network

I performed the tests with both NVC 64bit and NVC 32bit software.

My initial setup was with Norman Virus Control and Windows firewall. To open
the file from the respective servers took.
W2K3 - 43 secs
FC8 - 36 secs

I then turned off Windows FW
W2K3 - 43 secs
FC8 - 35 secs

I uninstalled NVC and turned on Windows FW
W2K3 - 1.5 secs'
FC8 - 1.5 secs

I installed AVG Free 8 with windows FW on
W2k3 - 2 secs
FC8 - 2 secs

I hope this information will help others who may be suffering from slow
networking

Dave.

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Vista + Norman AV = Slow Network
Thank you for sharing this with us.

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
"Dave Griffiths" <daveginorge@hotmail.com.nospam> wrote in message
> Hi All
>
> I am using Vista x64 and while I am very happy with the results and speed
> I had one major problem, opening a file over the network was slow and I
> mean SLOW.
>
> I conducted tests towards my two different servers opening the same file
> in exactly the same depth of directories on the servers. The servers W2K3
> completely updated and Fedora Core 8 completely updated. The file was a
> word file of 73Kb and only text. The network is a 1 Gbit network
>
> I performed the tests with both NVC 64bit and NVC 32bit software.
>
> My initial setup was with Norman Virus Control and Windows firewall. To
> open the file from the respective servers took.
> W2K3 - 43 secs
> FC8 - 36 secs
>
> I then turned off Windows FW
> W2K3 - 43 secs
> FC8 - 35 secs
>
> I uninstalled NVC and turned on Windows FW
> W2K3 - 1.5 secs'
> FC8 - 1.5 secs
>
> I installed AVG Free 8 with windows FW on
> W2k3 - 2 secs
> FC8 - 2 secs
>
> I hope this information will help others who may be suffering from slow
> networking
>
> Dave.

Dave Griffiths

Re: Vista + Norman AV = Slow Network
I have sent these results to Norman UK and as of present I have not even
received an acknowledgment email.