Problem setting up a wifi home network- error message help!

NewbieVT

Problem setting up a wifi home network- error message help!
I have a new HP Pavilion PC and a new Compaq notebook and can't get the
wireless network to let me connect on the notebook. The notebook does show
the home network. I have a new Vista compatable Belken router, both pc &
notebook are running Vista . Error message is wireless authentication failed
because of a timeout. Can you help please?
--
NewbieVT
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Problem setting up a wifi home network- error message help!
If disabling the security on wireless, can you connect to it?

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
"NewbieVT" <NewbieVT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a new HP Pavilion PC and a new Compaq notebook and can't get the
> wireless network to let me connect on the notebook. The notebook does show
> the home network. I have a new Vista compatable Belken router, both pc &
> notebook are running Vista . Error message is wireless authentication
> failed
> because of a timeout. Can you help please?
> --
> NewbieVT

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Re: Problem setting up a wifi home network- error message help!
Hi
Put the laptop close to the Wireless Router.
Disable the Wireless security in the Router and make a connection.
Once the connection is working configure the security.
From the weakest to the strongest, Wireless security capacity is.
No Security
WEP64____(Easy, to "Brake" by knowledgeable people).
WPA-PSK__(Very Hard to Brake ).