Vista and xp with wireless router question

=?Utf-8?B?UmljaC1wLUZM?=

Vista and xp with wireless router question
I just bought new pc with Vista, ISP"bellsouth", westall wireless modem, I
have Vista pc connected via cat5 cable to router/dsl modem. XP PC connected
via linksys wireless PCI card. They both can get on the internet just fine,
Problem is that I can see vista computer on XP machine, but not XP on Vista.
Also, On XP, even though it is there, I can not do anything with it. XP was
so easy to set this up with and I am having a heck of a time with getting my
Vista available, able to see XP and sharing printer and files. Can some one
help?
=?Utf-8?B?SmFtZXMgTXVlbGxlcg==?=

RE: Vista and xp with wireless router question
We have the same issue but with only 1 of our machines.

Setup:

1 Wireless Linksys Router
1 DSL Modem (Is fed into the WAN port of the router)
1 Machine Running Vista (Wireless)
1xp Machine Running XP (Cat 5)
2xp Machine Running XP (Cat 5)
1ws Machine Running Windows Server 2003 (Cat 5)

Vista can see the machine 1xp and 1ws fine; but when we try to access the
machine 2xp it doesn't show us any of the shares for that machine. We can
ping it so we are establishing a connection; but when accessing the machine
through a UNC path (\\machinename) we don't get anything but a blank window.

--
Thanks,

James Mueller
http://www.sharepointcommunity.com

"Rich-p-FL" wrote:

> I just bought new pc with Vista, ISP"bellsouth", westall wireless modem, I
> have Vista pc connected via cat5 cable to router/dsl modem. XP PC connected
> via linksys wireless PCI card. They both can get on the internet just fine,
> Problem is that I can see vista computer on XP machine, but not XP on Vista.
> Also, On XP, even though it is there, I can not do anything with it. XP was
> so easy to set this up with and I am having a heck of a time with getting my
> Vista available, able to see XP and sharing printer and files. Can some one
> help?

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Vista and xp with wireless router question
Try to install LLTD first. Or this link may help,

Troubleshoot problems computers not appearing on Network Map
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums/viewforum.php?f=1

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Rich-p-FL" <Rich-p-FL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6D78A84D-8309-44F0-BD6B-5D1BBC4847FF@microsoft.com...
I just bought new pc with Vista, ISP"bellsouth", westall wireless modem, I
have Vista pc connected via cat5 cable to router/dsl modem. XP PC connected
via linksys wireless PCI card. They both can get on the internet just fine,
Problem is that I can see vista computer on XP machine, but not XP on Vista.
Also, On XP, even though it is there, I can not do anything with it. XP was
so easy to set this up with and I am having a heck of a time with getting my
Vista available, able to see XP and sharing printer and files. Can some one
help?
=?Utf-8?B?SmFtZXMgTXVlbGxlcg==?=

Re: Vista and xp with wireless router question
Bob,

I noticed this as well when setting up the Network Map. Can you provide the
exact link to the post referencing LLTD on your discussion board so we don't
have to ready through all the threads?

--

"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

> Try to install LLTD first. Or this link may help,
>
> Troubleshoot problems computers not appearing on Network Map
> http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums/viewforum.php?f=1
>
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> "Rich-p-FL" <Rich-p-FL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6D78A84D-8309-44F0-BD6B-5D1BBC4847FF@microsoft.com...
> I just bought new pc with Vista, ISP"bellsouth", westall wireless modem, I
> have Vista pc connected via cat5 cable to router/dsl modem. XP PC connected
> via linksys wireless PCI card. They both can get on the internet just fine,
> Problem is that I can see vista computer on XP machine, but not XP on Vista.
> Also, On XP, even though it is there, I can not do anything with it. XP was
> so easy to set this up with and I am having a heck of a time with getting my
> Vista available, able to see XP and sharing printer and files. Can some one
> help?

Keith D

REPLY:- Vista and xp with wireless router question LLTD URL

> I noticed this as well when setting up the Network Map. Can you provide
> the
> exact link to the post referencing LLTD on your discussion board so we
> don't
> have to ready through all the threads?
>
> --

Here you go

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...ang=ensorryyou need to install it in all XP machinescheersKeith D.
Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: REPLY:- Vista and xp with wireless router question LLTD URL
Thank you.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE