Vista Wireless Internet connection probelm

=?Utf-8?B?a2Vycnk=?=

Vista Wireless Internet connection probelm
I have a new Toshiba laptop which can connect to wireless routers but then IE
won't connect. I have all firewalls, antivirus, antispam anything turned off,
but still cannot get on the internet. The wireless shows that it is connected
to the wireless router, but sometimes it has an IP and sometimes, just the
169.whatever as IP. What am I missing? This is a new out of the box laptop,
and I can't believe I would have to have a driver update for every possible
router ocming and going.

Thanks.
=?Utf-8?B?SmFtZXMgTXVlbGxlcg==?=

RE: Vista Wireless Internet connection probelm
Ensure your actually pulling an IP address and its stable.

Have you tried to connect up a Cat 5 cable to see if it will work better and
be more stable. Try to access the internet as well.

--
Thanks,

James Mueller
http://www.sharepointcommunity.com

"kerry" wrote:

> I have a new Toshiba laptop which can connect to wireless routers but then IE
> won't connect. I have all firewalls, antivirus, antispam anything turned off,
> but still cannot get on the internet. The wireless shows that it is connected
> to the wireless router, but sometimes it has an IP and sometimes, just the
> 169.whatever as IP. What am I missing? This is a new out of the box laptop,
> and I can't believe I would have to have a driver update for every possible
> router ocming and going.
>
> Thanks.

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Vista Wireless Internet connection probelm
If you receive 169 Ip, you may have connectivity issue. Do you have a router as DHCP? Make sure you can access the DHCP and obtain the IP from it.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"kerry" <kerry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1D8A6574-A5EA-4611-AFD8-CA3FA670E950@microsoft.com...
I have a new Toshiba laptop which can connect to wireless routers but then IE
won't connect. I have all firewalls, antivirus, antispam anything turned off,
but still cannot get on the internet. The wireless shows that it is connected
to the wireless router, but sometimes it has an IP and sometimes, just the
169.whatever as IP. What am I missing? This is a new out of the box laptop,
and I can't believe I would have to have a driver update for every possible
router ocming and going.

Thanks.
jojako15

Re: Vista Wireless Internet connection probelm

I am going to bump this because I am having the same issue, except I
know that im not getting info from the dhcp, as my xp and os x do just
fine. I have already applied the DCHPBROADCAST patch and vista works
fine over a cable, it just wont talk to dhcp over the wireless. I
should add that the dhcp sits upstream of the access point, they are not
the same machine. Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks!

--
jojako15
Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Vista Wireless Internet connection probelm
Make sure the wireless NIC is Vista compatible. Or this link may help,

Vista Wireless IssuesVista: Common Problems with 802.11 Wireless ... Inability to Connect and the wireless doesn’t receive the single. 1) It could be the Wireless adapter driver ...
http://www.wifimvp.com/vistawireless.htm

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE