Permissions Error from XP Computers

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FwdGFpbiBBbA==?=

Permissions Error from XP Computers
I am unable to access the shared folders created on my Vista Ultimate desktop
computer from any of my home networked XP computers. Vista can see and work
with all XP computers. XP computers can see and work with Public folder and
subfolders. When accessing other folders configured as shared, XP computers
report that the folder is not accessible, and that I may not have permission
to use this network resource. Access is denied. Have same log on name for
all computers with admin level, no passwords, Guest user access active on
Vista computer, and Network and sharing center configured as suggested by
other posts and links.
Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Permissions Error from XP Computers
Have you assign permissions in Security tab? This post may help,

Solved: Vista is not accessible
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums/viewforum.php?f=1

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Captain Al" <CaptainAl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FDD4E37C-E05E-4A35-A269-9B8B60F84C78@microsoft.com...
I am unable to access the shared folders created on my Vista Ultimate desktop
computer from any of my home networked XP computers. Vista can see and work
with all XP computers. XP computers can see and work with Public folder and
subfolders. When accessing other folders configured as shared, XP computers
report that the folder is not accessible, and that I may not have permission
to use this network resource. Access is denied. Have same log on name for
all computers with admin level, no passwords, Guest user access active on
Vista computer, and Network and sharing center configured as suggested by
other posts and links.
=?Utf-8?B?Q2FwdGFpbiBBbA==?=

Re: Permissions Error from XP Computers
Thank you for your response Robert. Yes I have. For each folder I would
like to share, Full control is configured for the following Group or user
names:
Authenticated Users
System
Alan (Gateway-Vista\Alan
Administrators (Gateway-Vista\Administrators)
Users (Gateway-Vista\users)

Do I have to add users from each XP computer such as "Alan (Breakaway\Alan)
where "Breakaway" is the name of one of my XP computers?

"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

> Have you assign permissions in Security tab? This post may help,
>
> Solved: Vista is not accessible
> http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums/viewforum.php?f=1
>
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> "Captain Al" <CaptainAl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FDD4E37C-E05E-4A35-A269-9B8B60F84C78@microsoft.com...
> I am unable to access the shared folders created on my Vista Ultimate desktop
> computer from any of my home networked XP computers. Vista can see and work
> with all XP computers. XP computers can see and work with Public folder and
> subfolders. When accessing other folders configured as shared, XP computers
> report that the folder is not accessible, and that I may not have permission
> to use this network resource. Access is denied. Have same log on name for
> all computers with admin level, no passwords, Guest user access active on
> Vista computer, and Network and sharing center configured as suggested by
> other posts and links

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Permissions Error from XP Computers
The easy way is create identical username on all computers.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Captain Al" <CaptainAl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9D7AE669-2034-44D6-A677-6B63B8F01647@microsoft.com...
Thank you for your response Robert. Yes I have. For each folder I would
like to share, Full control is configured for the following Group or user
names:
Authenticated Users
System
Alan (Gateway-Vista\Alan
Administrators (Gateway-Vista\Administrators)
Users (Gateway-Vista\users)

Do I have to add users from each XP computer such as "Alan (Breakaway\Alan)
where "Breakaway" is the name of one of my XP computers?

"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

> Have you assign permissions in Security tab? This post may help,
>
> Solved: Vista is not accessible
> http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums/viewforum.php?f=1
>
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> "Captain Al" <CaptainAl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FDD4E37C-E05E-4A35-A269-9B8B60F84C78@microsoft.com...
> I am unable to access the shared folders created on my Vista Ultimate desktop
> computer from any of my home networked XP computers. Vista can see and work
> with all XP computers. XP computers can see and work with Public folder and
> subfolders. When accessing other folders configured as shared, XP computers
> report that the folder is not accessible, and that I may not have permission
> to use this network resource. Access is denied. Have same log on name for
> all computers with admin level, no passwords, Guest user access active on
> Vista computer, and Network and sharing center configured as suggested by
> other posts and links

Michael A. Bishop \(MSFT\)

Re: Permissions Error from XP Computers
If you're not using passwords, make sure "Password-Protected Sharing" is
turned OFF in the Network & Sharing Center.

"Captain Al" <CaptainAl@discussions.microsoft.com> a écrit dans le message
de news:FDD4E37C-E05E-4A35-A269-9B8B60F84C78@microsoft.com...
>I am unable to access the shared folders created on my Vista Ultimate
>desktop
> computer from any of my home networked XP computers. Vista can see and
> work
> with all XP computers. XP computers can see and work with Public folder
> and
> subfolders. When accessing other folders configured as shared, XP
> computers
> report that the folder is not accessible, and that I may not have
> permission
> to use this network resource. Access is denied. Have same log on name
> for
> all computers with admin level, no passwords, Guest user access active on
> Vista computer, and Network and sharing center configured as suggested by
> other posts and links.

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FwdGFpbiBBbA==?=

Re: Permissions Error from XP Computers
Thank you Robert and Michael. Same name is used on all Computers (Alan) and
password sharing is turned off.

"Michael A. Bishop (MSFT)" wrote:

> If you're not using passwords, make sure "Password-Protected Sharing" is
> turned OFF in the Network & Sharing Center.
>
> "Captain Al" <CaptainAl@discussions.microsoft.com> a écrit dans le message
> de news:FDD4E37C-E05E-4A35-A269-9B8B60F84C78@microsoft.com...
> >I am unable to access the shared folders created on my Vista Ultimate
> >desktop
> > computer from any of my home networked XP computers. Vista can see and
> > work
> > with all XP computers. XP computers can see and work with Public folder
> > and
> > subfolders. When accessing other folders configured as shared, XP
> > computers
> > report that the folder is not accessible, and that I may not have
> > permission
> > to use this network resource. Access is denied. Have same log on name
> > for
> > all computers with admin level, no passwords, Guest user access active on
> > Vista computer, and Network and sharing center configured as suggested by
> > other posts and links.

Michael A. Bishop \(MSFT\)

Re: Permissions Error from XP Computers
The next things you should check are that "Everyone" has access to the share
(Right-click the shared folder, click Share, choose "Change sharing
permissions", and make sure Everyone has permissions to the share:
- Reader (Read-only access)
- Contributor (Can add files, modify those files, and read other people's
files)
- Co-owner (Read-write access to all files)

If you still get access denied errors, check the permissions on the file
system as well (Right-click the shared folder, click Properties, go to the
Security tab, and make sure Everyone has access there as well.

"Captain Al" <CaptainAl@discussions.microsoft.com> a écrit dans le message
de news:87EFBCA5-D9ED-4467-BD55-D8E45C0417AB@microsoft.com...
> Thank you Robert and Michael. Same name is used on all Computers (Alan)
> and
> password sharing is turned off.
>
> "Michael A. Bishop (MSFT)" wrote:
>
>> If you're not using passwords, make sure "Password-Protected Sharing" is
>> turned OFF in the Network & Sharing Center.
>>
>> "Captain Al" <CaptainAl@discussions.microsoft.com> a écrit dans le
>> message
>> de news:FDD4E37C-E05E-4A35-A269-9B8B60F84C78@microsoft.com...
>> >I am unable to access the shared folders created on my Vista Ultimate
>> >desktop
>> > computer from any of my home networked XP computers. Vista can see and
>> > work
>> > with all XP computers. XP computers can see and work with Public
>> > folder
>> > and
>> > subfolders. When accessing other folders configured as shared, XP
>> > computers
>> > report that the folder is not accessible, and that I may not have
>> > permission
>> > to use this network resource. Access is denied. Have same log on name
>> > for
>> > all computers with admin level, no passwords, Guest user access active
>> > on
>> > Vista computer, and Network and sharing center configured as suggested
>> > by
>> > other posts and links.

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FwdGFpbiBBbA==?=

Re: Permissions Error from XP Computers
Already configured as you stated Michael. No change.

"Michael A. Bishop (MSFT)" wrote:

> The next things you should check are that "Everyone" has access to the share
> (Right-click the shared folder, click Share, choose "Change sharing
> permissions", and make sure Everyone has permissions to the share:
> - Reader (Read-only access)
> - Contributor (Can add files, modify those files, and read other people's
> files)
> - Co-owner (Read-write access to all files)
>
> If you still get access denied errors, check the permissions on the file
> system as well (Right-click the shared folder, click Properties, go to the
> Security tab, and make sure Everyone has access there as well.
>
> "Captain Al" <CaptainAl@discussions.microsoft.com> a écrit dans le message
> de news:87EFBCA5-D9ED-4467-BD55-D8E45C0417AB@microsoft.com...
> > Thank you Robert and Michael. Same name is used on all Computers (Alan)
> > and
> > password sharing is turned off.
> >
> > "Michael A. Bishop (MSFT)" wrote:
> >
> >> If you're not using passwords, make sure "Password-Protected Sharing" is
> >> turned OFF in the Network & Sharing Center.
> >>
> >> "Captain Al" <CaptainAl@discussions.microsoft.com> a écrit dans le
> >> message
> >> de news:FDD4E37C-E05E-4A35-A269-9B8B60F84C78@microsoft.com...

=?Utf-8?B?S2ltIFtNU10=?=

Re: Permissions Error from XP Computers
Captain Al,

I'm sorry you're experiencing trouble. It sounds like you've tried a lot of
things. In order to not waste your time, please review the following:
- Ensure every machine is in the same workgroup and same subnet
- Ensure only one firewall is enabled per machine
- Set Network Category to Home/Work (Private)
- Ensure every user account has a non-empty password
- Create the same user account (with the same password) on all machines
- Ensure password protected sharing is ON
- Use 'Sharing Wizard' to create/manage shares

Please post back with the result.

Thanks

"Captain Al" wrote:

> Already configured as you stated Michael. No change.
>
> "Michael A. Bishop (MSFT)" wrote:
>
> > The next things you should check are that "Everyone" has access to the share
> > (Right-click the shared folder, click Share, choose "Change sharing
> > permissions", and make sure Everyone has permissions to the share:
> > - Reader (Read-only access)
> > - Contributor (Can add files, modify those files, and read other people's
> > files)
> > - Co-owner (Read-write access to all files)
> >
> > If you still get access denied errors, check the permissions on the file
> > system as well (Right-click the shared folder, click Properties, go to the
> > Security tab, and make sure Everyone has access there as well.
> >
> > "Captain Al" <CaptainAl@discussions.microsoft.com> a écrit dans le message
> > de news:87EFBCA5-D9ED-4467-BD55-D8E45C0417AB@microsoft.com...
> > > Thank you Robert and Michael. Same name is used on all Computers (Alan)
> > > and
> > > password sharing is turned off.

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FwdGFpbiBBbA==?=

Re: Permissions Error from XP Computers

Thank you Kim – Your response is much appreciated. I have a few
comments/questions.
1) I do not know where the subnet (mask?) is located, nor how to modify it
for both the XP and the Vista Ultimate machine. Workgroup names are
identical – “MSHOME”
2) Windows Firewall is disabled on all machines. XP computers have Norton
AV and Norton Firewall is disabled. Vista machine has McAfee, and McAfee
firewall is disabled. Only using firewall provided by Linksys router (model
WRT54GS). Desktop computers are hardwired, notebooks are wireless.
3) Vista Machine is configured as “Private Network” / Owner is “System”
4) All computers had only one user (Alan) and did not have a password, I am
now changing that.
5) Password protection is off, I am now changing that also.
6) How do I access the Sharing Wizard? Previous, from Windows Explorer, I
created folders or selected existing folders, right clicked, and selected
“Share”. I then clicked on the Share button in lower right corner.
Regards,