Remote desktop connection problem?

grapebird715

Remote desktop connection problem?
I have four computers on a very basic network. one computer running windows
vista business. one running xp pro. and two running windows xo home. I have
set them up so now I can see and enter all computers from any computer I
think. the problem is when I tried to open up a remote desktop connection to
one of the other computers I kept getting this message. THIS COMPUTER CAN'T
CONNECT TO THE REMOTE COMPUTER? i THINK MOST OF YOU WILL KNOW THE REST.
Can someone help. Also if any person is having trouble with their computers
not seeing each other then do what I have done. I was having trouble
connecting all my computers upto the network until I bought a copy of
Microsoft live one care and installed it on to three computers and now
everything is ok. but I still cannot connect to a remote computer.
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Remote desktop connection problem?
Have you enabled the remote desktop? Can you telnet port 3389? Or following
search results may help.

remote desktop
Why am I unable to control another XP by using Remote Assistance?
Troubleshooting Remote Desktop Connection. Does XP DRC support multiple
remote user ...
www.chicagotech.net/rdesktop.htm - Similar pages

Troubleshooting terminal server issues
Troubleshooting Remote Desktop Connection. Black screen while
connecting to TS. Cause: 1. MTU size may be too high. 2. you may have a
print driver problem. ...
www.chicagotech.net/troubleshootingts.htm - Similar pages

Vista Remote Access Issues
Solved: Vista Remote Desktop Slow Issue Vista Remote Desktop
troubleshooting Troubleshooting Vista Remote Assistance Issues ...
www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistaraissues.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
"grapebird715" <grapebird715@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have four computers on a very basic network. one computer running windows
> vista business. one running xp pro. and two running windows xo home. I
> have
> set them up so now I can see and enter all computers from any computer I
> think. the problem is when I tried to open up a remote desktop connection
> one of the other computers I kept getting this message. THIS COMPUTER
> CAN'T
> CONNECT TO THE REMOTE COMPUTER? i THINK MOST OF YOU WILL KNOW THE REST.
> Can someone help. Also if any person is having trouble with their
> computers
> not seeing each other then do what I have done. I was having trouble
> connecting all my computers upto the network until I bought a copy of
> Microsoft live one care and installed it on to three computers and now
> everything is ok. but I still cannot connect to a remote computer.

Sooner Al [MVP]

Re: Remote desktop connection problem?
Which computer can you not connect to, ie. the Vista Business or XP Pro
machine?

What is the exact error message?

General help, etc for Remote Desktop...

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.or...eshooting.html

In your case make sure Network Level Authentication (NLA) is *disabled* on
the Vista Business machine and the XP machines.

Vista host NLA settings...

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.or...rverConfig.jpg

XP and Vista client NLA settings...

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.or...ntSettings.jpg

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows – Desktop User Experience)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

"grapebird715" <grapebird715@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have four computers on a very basic network. one computer running windows
> vista business. one running xp pro. and two running windows xo home. I
> have
> set them up so now I can see and enter all computers from any computer I
> think. the problem is when I tried to open up a remote desktop connection
> one of the other computers I kept getting this message. THIS COMPUTER
> CAN'T
> CONNECT TO THE REMOTE COMPUTER? i THINK MOST OF YOU WILL KNOW THE REST.
> Can someone help. Also if any person is having trouble with their
> computers
> not seeing each other then do what I have done. I was having trouble
> connecting all my computers upto the network until I bought a copy of
> Microsoft live one care and installed it on to three computers and now
> everything is ok. but I still cannot connect to a remote computer.

grapebird715

Re: Remote desktop connection problem?
Thank you for your help. First I have enabled remote desktop, but do not know
how to telnet port 3380? is this the same as ping or ipconfig? any help here
would be welcome. I have a Netgear wirleless adsl firewall router DG834G how
do I configure this for remote desktop.

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Have you enabled the remote desktop? Can you telnet port 3389? Or following
> search results may help.
>
> remote desktop
> Why am I unable to control another XP by using Remote Assistance?
> Troubleshooting Remote Desktop Connection. Does XP DRC support multiple
> remote user ...
> www.chicagotech.net/rdesktop.htm - Similar pages
>
> Troubleshooting terminal server issues
> Troubleshooting Remote Desktop Connection. Black screen while
> connecting to TS. Cause: 1. MTU size may be too high. 2. you may have a
> print driver problem. ...
> www.chicagotech.net/troubleshootingts.htm - Similar pages
>
> Vista Remote Access Issues
> Solved: Vista Remote Desktop Slow Issue Vista Remote Desktop
> troubleshooting Troubleshooting Vista Remote Assistance Issues ...
> www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistaraissues.htm
>

> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> "grapebird715" <grapebird715@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have four computers on a very basic network. one computer running windows
> > vista business. one running xp pro. and two running windows xo home. I
> > have
> > set them up so now I can see and enter all computers from any computer I
> > think. the problem is when I tried to open up a remote desktop connection
> > one of the other computers I kept getting this message. THIS COMPUTER
> > CAN'T
> > CONNECT TO THE REMOTE COMPUTER? i THINK MOST OF YOU WILL KNOW THE REST.
> > Can someone help. Also if any person is having trouble with their
> > computers
> > not seeing each other then do what I have done. I was having trouble
> > connecting all my computers upto the network until I bought a copy of
> > Microsoft live one care and installed it on to three computers and now
> > everything is ok. but I still cannot connect to a remote computer.

grapebird715

Re: Remote desktop connection problem?
Thank you fot the information. there is a lot to take in, but at last think I
might be getting somewhere. I cannot connect to any machine. The information
that you sent shows a router and how to configure it. I have had a look on my
router website for the settings but they are different to the routewr in your
information. I have a Netgear DG834G Wireless ADSL Firewall Router do you
know how I can configure it?

"Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:

> Which computer can you not connect to, ie. the Vista Business or XP Pro
> machine?
>
> What is the exact error message?
>
> General help, etc for Remote Desktop...
>
> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.or...eshooting.html
>
> In your case make sure Network Level Authentication (NLA) is *disabled* on
> the Vista Business machine and the XP machines.
>
> Vista host NLA settings...
>
> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.or...rverConfig.jpg
>
> XP and Vista client NLA settings...
>
> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.or...ntSettings.jpg
>
> --
>
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows – Desktop User Experience)

> mutual benefit of all of us...
> rights...
> How to ask a question
> http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375
>
> "grapebird715" <grapebird715@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have four computers on a very basic network. one computer running windows
> > vista business. one running xp pro. and two running windows xo home. I
> > have
> > set them up so now I can see and enter all computers from any computer I
> > think. the problem is when I tried to open up a remote desktop connection
> > one of the other computers I kept getting this message. THIS COMPUTER
> > CAN'T
> > CONNECT TO THE REMOTE COMPUTER? i THINK MOST OF YOU WILL KNOW THE REST.
> > Can someone help. Also if any person is having trouble with their
> > computers
> > not seeing each other then do what I have done. I was having trouble
> > connecting all my computers upto the network until I bought a copy of
> > Microsoft live one care and installed it on to three computers and now
> > everything is ok. but I still cannot connect to a remote computer.

Sooner Al [MVP]

Re: Remote desktop connection problem?
See this page for help. Ignore the UDP Port 3389 references. You only need
TCP Port 3389 forwarded.

http://www.portforward.com/english/r...te_Desktop.htm

--

> Thank you fot the information. there is a lot to take in, but at last
> think I
> might be getting somewhere. I cannot connect to any machine. The
> information
> that you sent shows a router and how to configure it. I have had a look on
> my
> router website for the settings but they are different to the routewr in
> your
> information. I have a Netgear DG834G Wireless ADSL Firewall Router do you
> know how I can configure it?
>

> "Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Which computer can you not connect to, ie. the Vista Business or XP Pro
>> machine?
>>
>> What is the exact error message?
>>
>> General help, etc for Remote Desktop...
>>
>> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.or...eshooting.html
>>
>> In your case make sure Network Level Authentication (NLA) is *disabled*
>> on
>> the Vista Business machine and the XP machines.
>>
>> Vista host NLA settings...
>>
>> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.or...rverConfig.jpg
>>
>> XP and Vista client NLA settings...
>>
>> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.or...ntSettings.jpg
>>
>> --
>>
>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows – Desktop User Experience)
>>
>> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the
>> mutual benefit of all of us...
>> rights...
>> How to ask a question
>> http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375
>>
>> "grapebird715" <grapebird715@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have four computers on a very basic network. one computer running
>> >windows
>> > vista business. one running xp pro. and two running windows xo home. I
>> > have
>> > set them up so now I can see and enter all computers from any computer
>> > think. the problem is when I tried to open up a remote desktop
>> > connection
>> > one of the other computers I kept getting this message. THIS COMPUTER
>> > CAN'T
>> > CONNECT TO THE REMOTE COMPUTER? i THINK MOST OF YOU WILL KNOW THE REST.
>> > Can someone help. Also if any person is having trouble with their
>> > computers
>> > not seeing each other then do what I have done. I was having trouble
>> > connecting all my computers upto the network until I bought a copy of
>> > Microsoft live one care and installed it on to three computers and now
>> > everything is ok. but I still cannot connect to a remote computer.

grapebird715

Re: Remote desktop connection problem?
Once again thank you for the information, I will read through it and I am
pretty sure it will be ok. by the way I hope you could answer me this ??? In
windows vista business is there any way I can send a console message to one
of the other computers?

Brian

"Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:

> See this page for help. Ignore the UDP Port 3389 references. You only need
> TCP Port 3389 forwarded.
>
> http://www.portforward.com/english/r...te_Desktop.htm
>
> --
>
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows – Desktop User Experience)

> mutual benefit of all of us...
> rights...
> How to ask a question
> http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375
>
> "grapebird715" <grapebird715@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thank you fot the information. there is a lot to take in, but at last
> > think I
> > might be getting somewhere. I cannot connect to any machine. The
> > information
> > that you sent shows a router and how to configure it. I have had a look on
> > my
> > router website for the settings but they are different to the routewr in
> > your
> > information. I have a Netgear DG834G Wireless ADSL Firewall Router do you
> > know how I can configure it?
> >

> > "Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Which computer can you not connect to, ie. the Vista Business or XP Pro
> >> machine?
> >>
> >> What is the exact error message?
> >>
> >> General help, etc for Remote Desktop...
> >>
> >> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.or...eshooting.html
> >>
> >> In your case make sure Network Level Authentication (NLA) is *disabled*
> >> on
> >> the Vista Business machine and the XP machines.
> >>
> >> Vista host NLA settings...
> >>
> >> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.or...rverConfig.jpg
> >>
> >> XP and Vista client NLA settings...
> >>
> >> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.or...ntSettings.jpg
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows – Desktop User Experience)
> >>
> >> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the
> >> mutual benefit of all of us...
> >> The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> >> rights...
> >> How to ask a question
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

grapebird715

Re: Remote desktop connection problem?
Thank you for the information.
I have now been able to connect to the win xp pro computer and will try the
others tomorrow. I hope you could answer me this? In Windows Vista Business
is there any way that I could use the send console message as in win
2000/2003.

"Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:

> See this page for help. Ignore the UDP Port 3389 references. You only need
> TCP Port 3389 forwarded.
>
> http://www.portforward.com/english/r...te_Desktop.htm
>
> --
>
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows – Desktop User Experience)

> mutual benefit of all of us...
> rights...
> How to ask a question
> http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375
>
> "grapebird715" <grapebird715@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thank you fot the information. there is a lot to take in, but at last
> > think I
> > might be getting somewhere. I cannot connect to any machine. The
> > information
> > that you sent shows a router and how to configure it. I have had a look on
> > my
> > router website for the settings but they are different to the routewr in
> > your
> > information. I have a Netgear DG834G Wireless ADSL Firewall Router do you
> > know how I can configure it?
> >

> > "Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Which computer can you not connect to, ie. the Vista Business or XP Pro
> >> machine?
> >>
> >> What is the exact error message?
> >>
> >> General help, etc for Remote Desktop...
> >>
> >> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.or...eshooting.html
> >>
> >> In your case make sure Network Level Authentication (NLA) is *disabled*
> >> on
> >> the Vista Business machine and the XP machines.
> >>
> >> Vista host NLA settings...
> >>
> >> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.or...rverConfig.jpg
> >>
> >> XP and Vista client NLA settings...
> >>
> >> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.or...ntSettings.jpg
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows – Desktop User Experience)
> >>
> >> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the
> >> mutual benefit of all of us...
> >> The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> >> rights...
> >> How to ask a question
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

Sooner Al [MVP]

Re: Remote desktop connection problem?
If you need to access more than one PC behind a firewall or router with
Remote Desktop see this page for help...

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.or...ple_PC_RD.html

Are you talking about "net send"? If so see these threads for possible
help...

http://tinyurl.com/5ogerq

--

> Thank you for the information.
> I have now been able to connect to the win xp pro computer and will try
> the
> others tomorrow. I hope you could answer me this? In Windows Vista
> Business
> is there any way that I could use the send console message as in win
> 2000/2003.
>
> "Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> See this page for help. Ignore the UDP Port 3389 references. You only
>> need
>> TCP Port 3389 forwarded.
>>
>> http://www.portforward.com/english/r...te_Desktop.htm
>>
>> --
>>
>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows – Desktop User Experience)
>>
>> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the
>> mutual benefit of all of us...
>> rights...
>> How to ask a question
>> http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375
>>
>> "grapebird715" <grapebird715@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Thank you fot the information. there is a lot to take in, but at last
>> > think I
>> > might be getting somewhere. I cannot connect to any machine. The
>> > information
>> > that you sent shows a router and how to configure it. I have had a look
>> > on
>> > my
>> > router website for the settings but they are different to the routewr
>> > in
>> > your
>> > information. I have a Netgear DG834G Wireless ADSL Firewall Router do
>> > you
>> > know how I can configure it?

grapebird715

Re: Remote desktop connection problem?
Thank you again for your information. I have not used Net Send yet. I want to
send a message to a computer on my network IE: send message via the remote
desktop management console.
Brian