NVidia Network Device Recognised - but no network

Jeff Gaines

NVidia Network Device Recognised - but no network
This was originally posted in m.p.w.v.hardware_devices but no response to
date.

I am trying XP64 and Vista 64 to decide which to use on a new PC I am
building.

Vista 64 runs fine, much better support for 64 bit drivers now, but my
network has disappeared (it worked yesterday). In Device Manager the NIC
(NVidia) is shown as working properly but the Network Centre says there
are no network devices. I have tried to un-install it but that doesn't
seem to work. I am using the latest NVidia drivers. I have been round the
loop of clicking the various help buttons that appear but they all end up
offering to help me find a wireless network. It works fine in XP64 so I
don't think it's a hardware problem.

Vista was winning by a short head but this is a show stopper, I can't
understand why Device Manager says no problems but the OS doesn't think
there is a NIC installed.

Any thoughts? I have gone back to XP64 for now and the network is working
fine.

--
Jeff Gaines
Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Re: NVidia Network Device Recognised - but no network
Hi
Some of the onboard nVidia NICs' are known to be "Flakey". Try a good PCI
NIC.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Jeff Gaines" <whitedragon@newsgroups.nospam> wrote in message
> This was originally posted in m.p.w.v.hardware_devices but no response to
> date.
>
> I am trying XP64 and Vista 64 to decide which to use on a new PC I am
> building.
>
> Vista 64 runs fine, much better support for 64 bit drivers now, but my
> network has disappeared (it worked yesterday). In Device Manager the NIC
> (NVidia) is shown as working properly but the Network Centre says there
> are no network devices. I have tried to un-install it but that doesn't
> seem to work. I am using the latest NVidia drivers. I have been round the
> loop of clicking the various help buttons that appear but they all end up
> offering to help me find a wireless network. It works fine in XP64 so I
> don't think it's a hardware problem.
>
> Vista was winning by a short head but this is a show stopper, I can't
> understand why Device Manager says no problems but the OS doesn't think
> there is a NIC installed.
>
> Any thoughts? I have gone back to XP64 for now and the network is working
> fine.
>
> --
> Jeff Gaines

Jeff Gaines

Re: NVidia Network Device Recognised - but no network
On 30/04/2008 in message <#MyMmztqIHA.4376@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl> Jack
(MVP-Networking). wrote:

>Some of the onboard nVidia NICs' are known to be "Flakey". Try a good PCI
>NIC.
>Jack (MVP-Networking).

Thanks Jack :-)

I have a dilemma now, as long as my Q9450 arrives tomorrow I will be
building a new PC based around a Gigabyte mainboard with the X48 chipset
and Realtek 8111B LAN. I think I'll put the OS drive in a caddy so I can
swap it easily, then I can see which of XP64 and Vista 64 is happiest with
the new setup.

--
Jeff Gaines