Networking on vista. no ip address aquired.

=?Utf-8?B?QWRyaWFubw==?=

Networking on vista. no ip address aquired.
my friend has an hp laptop with windows vista. i went through the whole list
of networking fixes with her and none of them worked. the one involving
regedit, the battery saving ones, all of them. her laptop did work for a
short period of time at my house, but not at her and not when she initially
brought it here. are there any new fixes to try for a problem where the
computer can see other computers on the network but the internet. (local only
in network and sharing centre)
Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Networking on vista. no ip address aquired.
Can you ping a public IP? if yes, can you ping yahoo.com? This search result may help,

How to troubleshoot internet access issuesNone of the networking computers can access the Internet. ... Related Topics. Can’t access the Internet via USB after enabling NIC for network ...
http://www.howtonetworking.com/Inter...netaccess0.htm

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Adriano" <Adriano@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F41F5B86-C0A9-4220-8D56-08D16C5948B4@microsoft.com...
my friend has an hp laptop with windows vista. i went through the whole list
of networking fixes with her and none of them worked. the one involving
regedit, the battery saving ones, all of them. her laptop did work for a
short period of time at my house, but not at her and not when she initially
brought it here. are there any new fixes to try for a problem where the
computer can see other computers on the network but the internet. (local only
in network and sharing centre)
=?Utf-8?B?QWRyaWFubw==?=

Re: Networking on vista. no ip address aquired.
no she can't we tried that.

"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

> Can you ping a public IP? if yes, can you ping yahoo.com? This search result may help,
>
> How to troubleshoot internet access issuesNone of the networking computers can access the Internet. ... Related Topics. Can’t access the Internet via USB after enabling NIC for network ...
> http://www.howtonetworking.com/Inter...netaccess0.htm
>

> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> "Adriano" <Adriano@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F41F5B86-C0A9-4220-8D56-08D16C5948B4@microsoft.com...
> my friend has an hp laptop with windows vista. i went through the whole list
> of networking fixes with her and none of them worked. the one involving
> regedit, the battery saving ones, all of them. her laptop did work for a
> short period of time at my house, but not at her and not when she initially
> brought it here. are there any new fixes to try for a problem where the
> computer can see other computers on the network but the internet. (local only
> in network and sharing centre)

=?Utf-8?B?QWRyaWFubw==?=

Re: Networking on vista. no ip address aquired.
i just realized there is no edit. i also should have mentioned that i use the
router for 5 other computers, 3 of them wireless 2 wired. and they all work.
only her vista laptop can't connect. my vista desktop can connect and the 4
other xp computers can connect.
Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Networking on vista. no ip address aquired.
Posting back with the result of ipconfig /all may help.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Adriano" <Adriano@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:716FF679-3145-410A-89A0-22F91B41B26D@microsoft.com...
i just realized there is no edit. i also should have mentioned that i use the
router for 5 other computers, 3 of them wireless 2 wired. and they all work.
only her vista laptop can't connect. my vista desktop can connect and the 4
other xp computers can connect.
Michael A. Bishop \(MSFT\)

Re: Networking on vista. no ip address aquired.
A couple things -- first, please see what NDF says about this problem.
(Right-click the network icon in the system tray, and choose Diagnose.)

Also, you say that you can see other computers on the network -- are you
able to establish connections to them, or is this based only on the status
icon?