XP and Vista Network File Sharing problems

mdshd

XP and Vista Network File Sharing problems
I am running XP on several home computers which are already networked
via a Linksys router and Vista Home Basic on a Dell Inspiron Laptop.

I have been able to get the Laptop to join the network and share a
network printer hooked up to one of the XP machines.

The problem is network file sharing. From the laptop I can open ALL
the shared folders on all the XP machines and retrieve files, etc.

But from an XP machine I can "see" the Vista laptop as a member of
the MSHOME network, and I can even see the shared directories I have
designeated on Vista, BUT I cannot open any of the vista shared
directories and actually access the files located within the
directories.

I get a message that I do not have privileges (even though I am the
sole user "administrator".

I have turned off password required file sharing...I am at my witís
end to figure why I canít access the files of a directory that I can
access on the network.

Any suggestions?

Thank you for your time.

mdshd

--
Posted at author's request, using fully moderated http://www.WinForumz.com/Networking-...-forum-23.html interface
Keith D

REPLY:-: XP and Vista Network File Sharing problems

> I get a message that I do not have privileges (even though I am the
> sole user "administrator".
>
> I have turned off password required file sharing...I am at my wit's
> end to figure why I can't access the files of a directory that I can
> access on the network.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thank you for your time.
>
> mdshd

Hi

well there are numerous threads re this if you open full newsgroup

some things to check

1] if you have a third party firewall/anti virus in your vista machine
its a good bet that programme will have to be totally deleted for
the time being
windows firewall will need to be set correctly

2] for your xp machines to appear in the network map
on your vista machine you will need to download
and install this file in each of the xp machines

3] many have used this programme which has helped to sort issues
it has a 30 day free trial period

http://www.networkmagic.com/download/

hope this helps you on your way

cheers for now

Keith D.

Jason H

Re: XP and Vista Network File Sharing problems
I had this problem before too. Setting the folder permissions (separate from
the share permissions) for each of your shared folders to allow Guest access
solved the problem for me.

"mdshd" <none@000.com> wrote in message
news:109918_740f28da1f8b88e8e896b7078540b380@winfo rumz.com...
>I am running XP on several home computers which are already networked
> via a Linksys router and Vista Home Basic on a Dell Inspiron Laptop.
>
> I have been able to get the Laptop to join the network and share a
> network printer hooked up to one of the XP machines.
>
> The problem is network file sharing. From the laptop I can open ALL
> the shared folders on all the XP machines and retrieve files, etc.
>
> But from an XP machine I can "see" the Vista laptop as a member of
> the MSHOME network, and I can even see the shared directories I have
> designeated on Vista, BUT I cannot open any of the vista shared
> directories and actually access the files located within the
> directories.
>
> I get a message that I do not have privileges (even though I am the
> sole user "administrator".
>
> I have turned off password required file sharing...I am at my wit's
> end to figure why I can't access the files of a directory that I can
> access on the network.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thank you for your time.
>
> mdshd
>
> --
> Posted at author's request, using fully moderated
> http://www.WinForumz.com/Networking-...-forum-23.html interface

darren

Re: XP and Vista Network File Sharing problems
well, i am also facing problem with the file sharing between pc that
running with vista and xp pro. so u got any suggestion regarding this
issue??