vista networking and Win2000

=?Utf-8?B?cGxsZWdlbmRz?=

vista networking and Win2000

has anyone figured out yet how to add a windows 2000 computer to a Vista
network (workgroup). The two computers cannot see each other or access each
other (need LLTD). MS currently has a fix for XP computers only (as far as I
can see). I really don't want to upgrade my other computer due to $$$ issues.
If I have this problem with just one home computer, this is probably why
businesses are holding off on upgrading since many still have 2000 and xp
computers and limited budgets for upgrading hardware and of course waiting
for any service packs. I currently recommend and will continue to recommend
MS but help make my "sell" a bit easier, please!!
Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: vista networking and Win2000
Without LLTD, you should be able to share each other. If turn off the firewall, can you ping each other by IP?

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"pllegends" <pllegends@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:229F65AB-8C74-4AF2-A146-ACA10F876DFF@microsoft.com...

has anyone figured out yet how to add a windows 2000 computer to a Vista
network (workgroup). The two computers cannot see each other or access each
other (need LLTD). MS currently has a fix for XP computers only (as far as I
can see). I really don't want to upgrade my other computer due to $$$ issues.
If I have this problem with just one home computer, this is probably why
businesses are holding off on upgrading since many still have 2000 and xp
computers and limited budgets for upgrading hardware and of course waiting
for any service packs. I currently recommend and will continue to recommend
MS but help make my "sell" a bit easier, please!!
Michael A. Bishop \(MSFT\)

Re: vista networking and Win2000
LLTD has *nothing* to do with file-sharing. You do NOT need LLTD to share
files; only to make the XP computer be placed properly in the Network Map.
Without LLTD, the computer will appear at the bottom of the map, as a system
that was discovered but couldn't be placed.

In order to share files between your computers, you'll need to open firewall
ports to permit the traffic. On Vista, that means enabling Network
Discovery and File Sharing, as well as confirming that Windows Firewall has
the File & Print Sharing exception selected. In Windows 2000, you'll need
to make sure NetBIOS over TCP/IP is enabled.

Can the two computers resolve each others' names? Can you ping by IP
address?

"pllegends" <pllegends@discussions.microsoft.com> a écrit dans le message de

> has anyone figured out yet how to add a windows 2000 computer to a Vista
> network (workgroup). The two computers cannot see each other or access
> each
> other (need LLTD). MS currently has a fix for XP computers only (as far as
> can see). I really don't want to upgrade my other computer due to $$$
> issues.
> If I have this problem with just one home computer, this is probably why
> businesses are holding off on upgrading since many still have 2000 and xp
> computers and limited budgets for upgrading hardware and of course waiting
> for any service packs. I currently recommend and will continue to
> recommend
> MS but help make my "sell" a bit easier, please!!

=?Utf-8?B?YWxleA==?=

Re: vista networking and Win2000
I'm having the same problem. can't see the w2k machine. I can find it by ping
but not by name (what does that mean?) and I can see the drive by using the
IP address in IE7.