Offline Files do not sync

=?Utf-8?B?S2Fyc3RlbiBSZWVzZQ==?=

Offline Files do not sync
We have set up a laptop as a first testclient in a SBS 2003 Network. As we
were used to with XP clients we marked some folders on the network shares as
"avaible offline" [Sorry if I use not the correct English Menu names and
messages as we use the German version of Vista]

Within the synchronization-center I can start a synchronization, but during
the first synchronization of every file there are message (for each single
file) "Der Prozess kann nicht auf die Datei zugreifen, da sie von einem
anderen Prozess verwendet wird." = The process can not access the file as it
is used by an other process

If the client is offline all files synchronized are visible, but I am not
able to open these files. If I check their properties, their "Size" matches
the actual size on the server, but the "Size on disk" is 4,00 KB for each
file.
On the other hand the folder windows\csc seems to contain all the
information (in my case about 2GB and 3150 files)
This should be no server-side problem or a problem of insufficient rights as
the same domain-user can synchronize the same files on a xp-client and can
access the files when vista client is online.

Are there any requirements to change the security settings of the CSC.folder?

Thank you for your help!
Jeffrey S. Sparks

Re: Offline Files do not sync
Have you ever disabled opportunistic locking on the server? It must be
enabled thru the registry for offline file sharing to work.
Windows XP ignored it but vista requires it.

See:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/296264/en-us

Jeff

"Karsten Reese" <Karsten Reese@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We have set up a laptop as a first testclient in a SBS 2003 Network. As we
> were used to with XP clients we marked some folders on the network shares
> as
> "avaible offline" [Sorry if I use not the correct English Menu names and
> messages as we use the German version of Vista]
>
> Within the synchronization-center I can start a synchronization, but
> during
> the first synchronization of every file there are message (for each single
> file) "Der Prozess kann nicht auf die Datei zugreifen, da sie von einem
> anderen Prozess verwendet wird." = The process can not access the file as
> it
> is used by an other process
>
> If the client is offline all files synchronized are visible, but I am not
> able to open these files. If I check their properties, their "Size"
> matches
> the actual size on the server, but the "Size on disk" is 4,00 KB for each
> file.
> On the other hand the folder windows\csc seems to contain all the
> information (in my case about 2GB and 3150 files)
> This should be no server-side problem or a problem of insufficient rights
> as
> the same domain-user can synchronize the same files on a xp-client and can
> access the files when vista client is online.
>
> Are there any requirements to change the security settings of the
> CSC.folder?
>
> Thank you for your help!

=?Utf-8?B?S2Fyc3RlbiBSZWVzZQ==?=

Re: Offline Files do not sync
Thank you for your help, it worked!

(As a server reboot was necessary it took a little bit of time before I
could check the results - but it after the reboot it worked)

"Jeffrey S. Sparks" wrote:

> Have you ever disabled opportunistic locking on the server? It must be
> enabled thru the registry for offline file sharing to work.
> Windows XP ignored it but vista requires it.
>
> See:
>

> Jeff
>

> "Karsten Reese" <Karsten Reese@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > We have set up a laptop as a first testclient in a SBS 2003 Network. As we
> > were used to with XP clients we marked some folders on the network shares
> > as
> > "avaible offline" [Sorry if I use not the correct English Menu names and
> > messages as we use the German version of Vista]
> >
> > Within the synchronization-center I can start a synchronization, but
> > during
> > the first synchronization of every file there are message (for each single
> > file) "Der Prozess kann nicht auf die Datei zugreifen, da sie von einem
> > anderen Prozess verwendet wird." = The process can not access the file as
> > it
> > is used by an other process
> >
> > If the client is offline all files synchronized are visible, but I am not
> > able to open these files. If I check their properties, their "Size"
> > matches
> > the actual size on the server, but the "Size on disk" is 4,00 KB for each
> > file.
> > On the other hand the folder windows\csc seems to contain all the
> > information (in my case about 2GB and 3150 files)
> > This should be no server-side problem or a problem of insufficient rights
> > as
> > the same domain-user can synchronize the same files on a xp-client and can
> > access the files when vista client is online.
> >
> > Are there any requirements to change the security settings of the
> > CSC.folder?
> >
> > Thank you for your help!

Jeffrey S. Sparks

Re: Offline Files do not sync