Connection of Xbox360 to Media Center PC

=?Utf-8?B?SGFycnkgQmFjaw==?=

Connection of Xbox360 to Media Center PC
Here's my set up: WIndows Vista Media Center PC connected to my Linksys
WRT54GS router via ethernet cable. On the network screen of my PC the
computer is labeled: Categories: Computer
Workgroup: Pocho Palace
Network Place: Home

My Xbox360 is connected to the same router wirelessly. Set up is as follows:

Wireless Mode: G-Only
Wireless Network Name (SSID): Pocho Palace
Wireless Channel: 6
Security Mode: WEP

The Xbox360 shows up on the PC's Network screen. The PC is placed under the
POCHO PALACE workgroup name. The Xbox360 is placed under the unspecified
group and is labeled: Categories: Media Devices
Network Location: Home
The Xbox360 isn't assigned to a workgroup. I don't know how or if I'm
supposed to do that.
The Xbox360 is set up for automatic configuration-DHCP.
I can access the internet with my Xbox360 but when I try to do the Media
Center Extender setup the Xbox360 is not detected by my computer. All file
sharing and media sharing is turned on. When I do the routers ping test to
the Xbox360 none of the packets are recieved. Same results when I ping the
computer. But both are able to access the internet.
I have a laptop running windows XP that is connected to the network in the
same way as the Vista PC. The two computers networked together no problem.
What am I doing wrong. I've been at it for a week, and I've finally thrown
the towel in.
Hope someone can help me.

Thanks,

Les

Dave

Connection of Xbox360 to Media Center PC
My setup is essentially identical to yours.

I am having the same difficulty getting a connection. I was able to make it work a few weeks ago. The only thing I am sure has changed is the addition of Norton Anitvirus 2007. I disabled the "worm" protection which is essentialy a firewall in Norton. I also made sure that the Windows Firewall is turned off.

I have tried to connect the Xbox many times with no success. I may try uninstalling Norton next.

http://www.eggheadcafe.com
=?Utf-8?B?SGFycnkgQmFjaw==?=

RE: Connection of Xbox360 to Media Center PC
I get the smae results with my firewalls and antivirus turned off. So I
really doubt those programs are the problem. I think it's a Vista issue. I
also tried two different routers. Seems like a lot of people are having the
same problem. How can two products built by the same company to be totally
compatible be such a pain in the neck to setup? I give up.

"Dave" wrote:

> My setup is essentially identical to yours.
>
> I am having the same difficulty getting a connection. I was able to make it work a few weeks ago. The only thing I am sure has changed is the addition of Norton Anitvirus 2007. I disabled the "worm" protection which is essentialy a firewall in Norton. I also made sure that the Windows Firewall is turned off.
>
> I have tried to connect the Xbox many times with no success. I may try uninstalling Norton next.

> http://www.eggheadcafe.com

=?Utf-8?B?S2ltIFtNU10=?=

RE: Connection of Xbox360 to Media Center PC
Harry and Dave,

I'm sorry you're experiencing issues. If connecting Vista to your home
network appears to cause connection issues for the other machines in your
network, you may need a Vista-compatible router. To test your router, please
go to: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/usi...d/default.mspx.

Please post back with results.