Creating a shortcut to a VPN connection

=?Utf-8?B?Uk1jQ2FiZQ==?=

Creating a shortcut to a VPN connection
Could anyone tell me how to create a shortcut to a VPN connection in MS
Vista? I would like to add this shortcut to my startup folder so that the
VPN automatically connects without having to manually start it? In XP this
was simple, doesn't appear to be as simple in Vista. Thank you.
Sooner Al [MVP]

Re: Creating a shortcut to a VPN connection
"RMcCabe" <RMcCabe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Could anyone tell me how to create a shortcut to a VPN connection in MS
> Vista? I would like to add this shortcut to my startup folder so that the
> VPN automatically connects without having to manually start it? In XP
> this
> was simple, doesn't appear to be as simple in Vista. Thank you.

You might look at the rasdial command and add it to a small batch file you
can use to auto connect. Go to "Start -> Run" and type cmd at the command
line. At the command prompt type 'rasdial /?' for the exact command
syntax...

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...

=?Utf-8?B?Uk1jQ2FiZQ==?=

Re: Creating a shortcut to a VPN connection
Thank you "Sooner Al" - I tried your directions but i'm not technical so it
all looked greek to me. In XP I was able to create shortcut then copy/paste
the shortcut in the starup folder, I was hoping for something along those
lines? Not sure if it's possible under Vista? Any other suggestions? Is
there a location where the specific VPN connection is stored on the file
system that I could create a shortcut to?

Thank you.

"Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:

> "RMcCabe" <RMcCabe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Could anyone tell me how to create a shortcut to a VPN connection in MS
> > Vista? I would like to add this shortcut to my startup folder so that the
> > VPN automatically connects without having to manually start it? In XP
> > this
> > was simple, doesn't appear to be as simple in Vista. Thank you.

> You might look at the rasdial command and add it to a small batch file you
> can use to auto connect. Go to "Start -> Run" and type cmd at the command
> line. At the command prompt type 'rasdial /?' for the exact command
> syntax...
>
> --
>
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> mutual benefit of all of us...
> rights...

tyrven

Network Connection Shortcuts
The behavior is almost identical to previous Windows versions - but it's not intuitive how to find the right control panel applet.

In Control Panel, click "View Network Status and Tasks" ("Network and Sharing Center" under Classic view). Then, on the left bar, click "Manage network connections".

This is the interface you were referring to where you can create right click on a connection and choose "Create Shortcut". From there, you can obviously drag that connection to your startup folder.

Now, the feature I miss is the ability to expand the "Network Connections". In my line of work, I have multiple VPN networks I potentially connect to so that was really handy. You can still get that feature using the classic start menu - but the rest of my work I prefer the fancy new start menu.

Jeremy

http://www.eggheadcafe.com
Michael A. Bishop \(MSFT\)

Re: Creating a shortcut to a VPN connection
In the Network & Sharing Center, click "Network Connections". This should
show you a list of network connections on your computer, both physical
interfaces and configured VPNs. Drag the connection you want to a folder
and it will create a shortcut for you.

"RMcCabe" <RMcCabe@discussions.microsoft.com> a écrit dans le message de
> Could anyone tell me how to create a shortcut to a VPN connection in MS
> Vista? I would like to add this shortcut to my startup folder so that the
> VPN automatically connects without having to manually start it? In XP
> this
> was simple, doesn't appear to be as simple in Vista. Thank you.

Michael A. Bishop \(MSFT\)

Re: Network Connection Shortcuts
Try creating a folder in your Start Menu with shortcuts to your VPN
connections, perhaps?

"tyrven" a écrit dans le message de news:2007319131538jeremy@ignia.com...
> The behavior is almost identical to previous Windows versions - but it's
> not intuitive how to find the right control panel applet.
>
> In Control Panel, click "View Network Status and Tasks" ("Network and
> Sharing Center" under Classic view). Then, on the left bar, click "Manage
> network connections".
>
> This is the interface you were referring to where you can create right
> click on a connection and choose "Create Shortcut". From there, you can
> obviously drag that connection to your startup folder.
>
> Now, the feature I miss is the ability to expand the "Network
> Connections". In my line of work, I have multiple VPN networks I
> potentially connect to so that was really handy. You can still get that
> feature using the classic start menu - but the rest of my work I prefer
> the fancy new start menu.
>
> Jeremy

> http://www.eggheadcafe.com

Jeffer03

tyrven;2678106 Wrote:

> Now, the feature I miss is the ability to expand the "Network
> Connections". In my line of work, I have multiple VPN networks I
> potentially connect to so that was really handy. You can still get that
> feature using the classic start menu - but the rest of my work I prefer
> the fancy new start menu.
>
> Jeremy

> http://www.eggheadcafe.com

Jermey - hope you get this. I setup a VPN connection on my NIC in
addition to the LAN connetion but when I connect to the VPN it
disconnects -breaks - the LAN connetion to the Internet. I've set this
up 100's of times on all previous MS -OSes without problems. Tried all
different settings but so far no luck. Running Vista 32-bit Home
Premium.
thanks in advance!

--
Jeffer03