Still having network problems

Tom

Still having network problems
Original Message (3-28-08)
Question
Alright. This issue is driving me crazy and I do not know how to fix it.

My Desktop Windows Vista machine will not connect to the network. My router
(Apple Airport Extreme) works fine and I can connect with my Macbook (macbook
booting Vista) and my other Vista laptop. These connections are wireless. My
desktop is wired to the router.

My motherboard is an Asus Striker Extreme with two Gigabit ethernet ports. I
have one disabled currently. Neither of the ports will connect to the network
and they are both giving me the same type of error... making me think that
this is software. Also, my PC worked fine the other day and then just began
to not connect in the middle of nowhere.

Problem: Network adapters are stuck identifying network - local only. I pull
Ipconfig and get that their IPv4 is set to 169.254.104.31(Preferred). Subnet
mask is 255.255.0.0. I also found that I have three tunnel adapters for some
reason. I have tried to create static IPs with both adapters, create my own
subnet with both of them, I have tried to renew IP, release IP, delete &
reinstall the adapters, reboot the PC many times, take each adapter out of
BIOS individually, shut one down and work on them individually, try to have
Vista repair the connections to absolutely no avail. I am frustrated and hope
that someone out there can help me with this.

This must be a software problem considering that the light on back of my
motherboard ports are finding the router (one blinking orange and the connect
a steady green).

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated

Coninued Problem:

Recently I purchased a Linksys Wireless G USB Network adapter. It got me
connected to the internet for one week before it would no longer connect. It
got the same error and same IP changes. I even tried another fix by upgrading
my BIOS to 1504. It still does not work. I tried changing the registry but
the (GUID) is not there under TCP/IP. Here are my Tc/ip settings that will
not work if I change them manually and I don't know what else to do...

DHCP Enabled: Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled: Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address: fe80:7832:81ed:9078:681f%20(Preferred)
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address: 169.254.104.31(Preferred)
Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway: Blank
DHCPv6 IAID: 352329056
DNS Servers: fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1 , fec0:0:0:ffff::2%2 , fec0:0:0:ffff::3%3
NetBIOS over Tcpip: Enabled

Any suggestions would GREATLY be appreciated.

Thanks Again,
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Still having network problems
I would try to disable the IPv6 first.

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
"Tom" <Tom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> It
> got the same error and same IP changes. I even tried another fix by
> upgrading
> my BIOS to 1504. It still does not work. I tried changing the registry but
> the (GUID) is not there under TCP/IP. Here are my Tc/ip settings that will
> not work if I change them manually and I don't know what else to do...
>
> DHCP Enabled: Yes
> Autoconfiguration Enabled: Yes
> Link-local IPv6 Address: fe80:7832:81ed:9078:681f%20(Preferred)
> Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address: 169.254.104.31(Preferred)
> Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0
> Default Gateway: Blank
> DHCPv6 IAID: 352329056
> DNS Servers: fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1 , fec0:0:0:ffff::2%2 ,
> fec0:0:0:ffff::3%3
> NetBIOS over Tcpip: Enabled
>
> Any suggestions would GREATLY be appreciated.

DJT

Re: Still having network problems
On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 09:16:00 -0700, Tom
<Tom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Original Message (3-28-08)
>Question
> Alright. This issue is driving me crazy and I do not know how to fix it.
>
>My Desktop Windows Vista machine will not connect to the network. My router
>(Apple Airport Extreme) works fine and I can connect with my Macbook (macbook
>booting Vista) and my other Vista laptop. These connections are wireless. My
>desktop is wired to the router.
>
>My motherboard is an Asus Striker Extreme with two Gigabit ethernet ports. I
>have one disabled currently. Neither of the ports will connect to the network
>and they are both giving me the same type of error... making me think that
>this is software. Also, my PC worked fine the other day and then just began
>to not connect in the middle of nowhere.
>
>Problem: Network adapters are stuck identifying network - local only. I pull
>Ipconfig and get that their IPv4 is set to 169.254.104.31(Preferred). Subnet
>mask is 255.255.0.0. I also found that I have three tunnel adapters for some
>reason. I have tried to create static IPs with both adapters, create my own
>subnet with both of them, I have tried to renew IP, release IP, delete &
>reinstall the adapters, reboot the PC many times, take each adapter out of
>BIOS individually, shut one down and work on them individually, try to have
>Vista repair the connections to absolutely no avail. I am frustrated and hope
>that someone out there can help me with this.
>
>This must be a software problem considering that the light on back of my
>motherboard ports are finding the router (one blinking orange and the connect
>a steady green).
>
>Any help will be GREATLY appreciated
>
>Coninued Problem:
>
>Recently I purchased a Linksys Wireless G USB Network adapter. It got me
>connected to the internet for one week before it would no longer connect. It
>got the same error and same IP changes. I even tried another fix by upgrading
>my BIOS to 1504. It still does not work. I tried changing the registry but
>the (GUID) is not there under TCP/IP. Here are my Tc/ip settings that will
>not work if I change them manually and I don't know what else to do...
>
>DHCP Enabled: Yes
>Autoconfiguration Enabled: Yes
>Link-local IPv6 Address: fe80:7832:81ed:9078:681f%20(Preferred)
>Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address: 169.254.104.31(Preferred)
>Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0
>Default Gateway: Blank
>DHCPv6 IAID: 352329056
>DNS Servers: fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1 , fec0:0:0:ffff::2%2 , fec0:0:0:ffff::3%3
>NetBIOS over Tcpip: Enabled
>
>Any suggestions would GREATLY be appreciated.
>
>Thanks Again,

Hi, I have had a similar problem which took over a week to locate.

My situation was that I was connecting ok then suddenly Vista could
not access the DHCP server in the router.
Symptoms Unidentilied network IP addres 169.x.x.x.
I tried changing cables, ports, modem. All failed
What was strange was that the only way that I could connect was if I
had another device connected, - Old computer Nas Disk.
If I then cycled the power on the Modem\Router Vista connected.

The problem turned out to be a 3rd party Firewall.
It was OK until it was updated.The update changed something that
caused the problem
When I uninstalled the firewall the problem disappeared.

I hope this helps

DJT