Vista and Mac

news.kpnqwest.it

Vista and Mac
I used till yesterday the RTM Version of Vista ultimate. Tonight i've
installed Vista ultimate final, the versione came out on 01/31.

With booth versions (RTM and final) i got some problems accessing my mac. I
can ses it on the network (same workgroup) but when it asks me user name and
password, vista tells me authentication failed, and there is no way to enter
into my mac.

I don't know how but with the RTM version i solved the problem (maybe i've
changed some setting in controll pannel, how remember?),SO IT'S POSSIBLE,
but now, with this final version i got the same problem.

Anyone else had this problem and can tell me how to solve it?

thanks

Malke

Re: Vista and Mac
news.kpnqwest.it wrote:
> I used till yesterday the RTM Version of Vista ultimate. Tonight i've
> installed Vista ultimate final, the versione came out on 01/31.
>
> With booth versions (RTM and final) i got some problems accessing my
> mac. I can ses it on the network (same workgroup) but when it asks me
> user name and password, vista tells me authentication failed, and there
> is no way to enter into my mac.
>
> I don't know how but with the RTM version i solved the problem (maybe
> i've changed some setting in controll pannel, how remember?),SO IT'S
> POSSIBLE, but now, with this final version i got the same problem.
>
> Anyone else had this problem and can tell me how to solve it?
>
> thanks

To enable Windows Vista to connect to Mac OS X with Windows File Sharing
enabled, you will need to change the following policy in Windows Vista:

Start>Run>secpol.msc [enter]

Click on "Local Policies" --> "Security Options"

Navigate to the policy "Network Security: LAN Manager authentication
level" and double-click it to get its Properties. By default Windows
Vista sets the policy to "NTVLM2 responses only". Use the drop-down
arrow to change this to "LM and NTLM – use NTLMV2 session security if
negotiated".

In Vista Home Premium, you won't have this tool so per Steve Winograd, do:

1. Run the registry editor and open this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Lsa

1. If it doesn't already exist, create a DWORD value named
LmCompatibilityLevel

3. Set the value to 1

4. Reboot

Naturally you will have already created identical usernames and
passwords on both machines.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
=?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWRl?=

Re: Vista and Mac

"Malke" wrote:

> To enable Windows Vista to connect to Mac OS X with Windows File Sharing
> enabled, you will need to change the following policy in Windows Vista:
>
> Start>Run>secpol.msc [enter]
>
> Click on "Local Policies" --> "Security Options"
>
> Navigate to the policy "Network Security: LAN Manager authentication
> level" and double-click it to get its Properties. By default Windows
> Vista sets the policy to "NTVLM2 responses only". Use the drop-down
> arrow to change this to "LM and NTLM – use NTLMV2 session security if
> negotiated".
>
> In Vista Home Premium, you won't have this tool so per Steve Winograd, do:
>
> 1. Run the registry editor and open this key:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Lsa
>
> 1. If it doesn't already exist, create a DWORD value named
> LmCompatibilityLevel
>
> 3. Set the value to 1
>
> 4. Reboot
>
> Naturally you will have already created identical usernames and
> passwords on both machines.
>
> Malke

Thanks a lot Malke, i'm not at home right now, but as soon as i'll came back
i'll give it a try.
BUT, with vista RTM i did nothing of what you told me to do. One day i was
just trying to login and boom, i was logged in without (apparently) nothing
done....
Malke

Re: Vista and Mac
Davide wrote:

> "Malke" wrote:
>
>> To enable Windows Vista to connect to Mac OS X with Windows File Sharing
>> enabled, you will need to change the following policy in Windows Vista:
>>
>> Start>Run>secpol.msc [enter]
>>
>> Click on "Local Policies" --> "Security Options"
>>
>> Navigate to the policy "Network Security: LAN Manager authentication
>> level" and double-click it to get its Properties. By default Windows
>> Vista sets the policy to "NTVLM2 responses only". Use the drop-down
>> arrow to change this to "LM and NTLM – use NTLMV2 session security if
>> negotiated".
>>
>> In Vista Home Premium, you won't have this tool so per Steve Winograd, do:
>>
>> 1. Run the registry editor and open this key:
>>
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Lsa
>>
>> 1. If it doesn't already exist, create a DWORD value named
>> LmCompatibilityLevel
>>
>> 3. Set the value to 1
>>
>> 4. Reboot
>>
>> Naturally you will have already created identical usernames and
>> passwords on both machines.
>>
>> Malke

> Thanks a lot Malke, i'm not at home right now, but as soon as i'll came back
> i'll give it a try.
> BUT, with vista RTM i did nothing of what you told me to do. One day i was
> just trying to login and boom, i was logged in without (apparently) nothing
> done....

Well, all I can tell you is that I had spotty networking with my Linux
boxen and Vista all through the many betas (sometimes it worked and
sometimes it didn't) and now w/RTM I had to do the first thing above to
get interoperability with my MacBook. So I expect Things Changed in RTM,
as they so often do.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
Davide

Re: Vista and Mac

> Well, all I can tell you is that I had spotty networking with my Linux
> boxen and Vista all through the many betas (sometimes it worked and
> sometimes it didn't) and now w/RTM I had to do the first thing above to
> get interoperability with my MacBook. So I expect Things Changed in RTM,
> as they so often do.

Thank's a lot, it worked, you solved a great problem for me
Malke

Re: Vista and Mac
Davide wrote:

>> Well, all I can tell you is that I had spotty networking with my Linux
>> boxen and Vista all through the many betas (sometimes it worked and
>> sometimes it didn't) and now w/RTM I had to do the first thing above
>> to get interoperability with my MacBook. So I expect Things Changed in
>> RTM, as they so often do.

> Thank's a lot, it worked, you solved a great problem for me

I'm glad to hear you got it sorted. Thanks for taking the time to let me
know.

Malke