Help with file sharing

Glenn Follweiler

Help with file sharing
Hello folks:

I've got a small home network that I just can't get file sharing working. I
have verizon dsl, a Linksys WRT54G router that's wired to a Vista desktop
and a win98 desktop; and a Vista notebook and WinXP notebook connecting
through wireless. All can connect to the internet without problem.
Vista=home premium.

I'm trying to share one drive of each computer. I can read and write to the
shared drive on the old win98 machine. On the XP machine, I can see all the
folders and subfolders and apparently read them, but not change anything.
On the two Vista machines, it looks like I can completely share the public
folders, but as far as the E drive I'm trying to share, I can only see the
drive itself. When I doubleclick on the drive I get the standard: "\E is
not accessible. You might not have permission..."

I have shared the root of the drives, and given "everyone" share permissions
of full control. I have tried this with windows firewall on and off. All
computers are on the same workgroup.

Both Vista machines have:
network discovery on, file sharing on
public folder sharing on so anyone with network access can open, change, and
create files
printer sharing on
password protected sharing Off
Media sharing Off

So...what am I doing wrong? It just can't be this hard....

Thanks in advance,
Glenn

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Help with file sharing
Assigning everyone to shared folder is not good enough. You need to assign permission in Security tab. This link may give you more details,

Vista common issue - can see but access
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums/viewforum.php?f=3

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Glenn Follweiler" <noreply@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:O%23waEzqZHHA.4220@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
[...]

Bob:

OK, I found my solution. I couldn't exactly figure out how to assign permissions in the Secure tab - not sure what that is, and I guess I don't understand enough about different kinds of users/administrators, etc.

But what I did was to turn on password protection on both computers in the Network and Sharing Center. Apparently by making them authenticated, I could then make changes on the other Vista machines. I also went back to my XP machine and noticed that I had not given network members permission to change files. I changed that and things are now working beautifully on that computer also (the XP laptop was my "master" machine before and I only used it to backup/update the others).

Thanks for the help,
Glenn Follweiler

"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" <noreply@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:eAW1vBsZHHA.3272@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
[...]

Thank you for the feedback.