Only one way connection

churin

Only one way connection
I have two PCs, A and B both of which are running Vistas. A is wire
connected to a router and B is connected wirelessly to the router.

My problem is that A can access B whereas B can see A but cannot access
shared folders of A. Ping from B to A times out. If the OS on A is
switched to XP then there is no such problem.

Network Discovery and File Sharing are set ON. The network is set as
Private. I do not see anything wrong with the firewall(Vista built-in)
setting. Diagnostic result says "Network diagnostics pinged the remote
host but did not receive a response. Windows found a problem that cannot
be repaired automatically...."

Any suggestion would be appreciated.
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Only one way connection
Do you have 3rd party security software on the A?

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
"churin" <churin@new.postalias> wrote in message
>I have two PCs, A and B both of which are running Vistas. A is wire
>connected to a router and B is connected wirelessly to the router.
>
> My problem is that A can access B whereas B can see A but cannot access
> shared folders of A. Ping from B to A times out. If the OS on A is
> switched to XP then there is no such problem.
>
> Network Discovery and File Sharing are set ON. The network is set as
> Private. I do not see anything wrong with the firewall(Vista built-in)
> setting. Diagnostic result says "Network diagnostics pinged the remote
> host but did not receive a response. Windows found a problem that cannot
> be repaired automatically...."
>
> Any suggestion would be appreciated.

churin

Re: Only one way connection
Your response reminded me that the third party security software
installed on A is the one which I installed for the first time and did
not bother reviewing its default configuration. I have just reviewed
and found that the software includes firewall functionality and file
sharing was disabled by its default setting. The problem is now resolved
by enabling it. All security softwares I used in the past were just
antivirus softwares so I assumed the above software is the same kind.

Thank you so very much for your help.

Robert L. (MS-MVP) wrote:
> Do you have 3rd party security software on the A?

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Only one way connection
Thank you for the update.