Wireless access problems

=?Utf-8?B?U3R1ZGVudDY5OTU5?=

Wireless access problems
I recently purchased a laptop w/ Vista. When I asked the IT department at my
University for help with accessing our school's wireless network, I was told
that it was only possible to access if you are running XP w/ SP2.

My friend set himself up using his MacBook and MacOS, so their XP only
theory can't be right. I told them there is a difference between it not being
possible and their not knowing how to do it, so now I get no help from them.

I followed the security settings given to XP users (WPA, TKIP, etc.) but
Vista still tells me the security settings don't match the network's.

Am I doomed to wait until the school upgrades to Vista (long after I
graduate), or is there something I'm missing?
Keith D

Re: Wireless access problems
Hi

Not sure if it will help your situation
but it has for a good few on home networks
and its free for 30 days

http://www.networkmagic.com/download/

cheers

K/

"Student69959" <Student69959@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I recently purchased a laptop w/ Vista. When I asked the IT department at
>my
> University for help with accessing our school's wireless network, I was
> told
> that it was only possible to access if you are running XP w/ SP2.
>
> My friend set himself up using his MacBook and MacOS, so their XP only
> theory can't be right. I told them there is a difference between it not
> being
> possible and their not knowing how to do it, so now I get no help from
> them.
>
> I followed the security settings given to XP users (WPA, TKIP, etc.) but
> Vista still tells me the security settings don't match the network's.
>
> Am I doomed to wait until the school upgrades to Vista (long after I
> graduate), or is there something I'm missing?

Michael A. Bishop \(MSFT\)

Re: Wireless access problems
"Only possible" == "We only have setup instructions for"

I'm assuming they're using WPA with a RADIUS server, authenticating your
student username & password for connection? If so, that's listed as
WPA-Enterprise in Vista.

To begin with, try removing the wireless profile from Vista (NSC > Manage
Wireless Networks and delete the one for your school's SSID). See if Start
> Connect can auto-detect the type of your network. If not, take the

settings your school gave you, go back to the Manage Wireless Networks and
create a new profile (Add). I'm assuming you're using WPA-Enterprise (if
you have a key to enter, it's WPA-Personal instead), so select that, you
said encryption was TKIP, and I'm making a guess that you're probably using
Protected EAP with that. Under Settings, enter whatever your setup
instructions call for -- I don't recall that dialog being very different
from XP to Vista.

If neither the auto-detect nor the fresh profile work, please post back here
with the exact error.

message de news:32428F03-FDE4-492E-AD3B-8BA9A874C623@microsoft.com...