Missing Computers

=?Utf-8?B?QnVyZ2VyMjM=?=

Missing Computers
I have a small home network with 4 computers. My network has been working
fine- until yesterday. I can no longer access 3 of my 4 computers using
Windows Explorer. One XP computer works fine. Using Windows Explorer its
finds the network, named GRADY, and displays all 4 computers.

However on the other 2 XP computers, the network GRADY is found—but I get a
“Network path not found” error message when I attempt to expand GRADY to see
the computers. The fourth computer is using VISTA- it only sees itself.

All computers get Internet access. I am able to "ping" the other 3 computers
from each of the machines- they just do not show up in Windows Explorer. I
have turned firewalls OFF. Router has default settings-DHCP on.

I have done something—but I am out of ideas. Any help?

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Missing Computers
If other computer can't see the Vista, make sure the NetBIOS over TCP/IP is enabled. This link may help too,

Vista issuesI have the same problem - new machine with Windows Vista Business pre-installed. ... Netbios is fully enabled in Vista but nothing I do lets . ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistanetissues.htm

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Burger23" <Burger23@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7260D404-7896-4C4F-946E-94AF7D8AA3EA@microsoft.com...
I have a small home network with 4 computers. My network has been working
fine- until yesterday. I can no longer access 3 of my 4 computers using
Windows Explorer. One XP computer works fine. Using Windows Explorer its
finds the network, named GRADY, and displays all 4 computers.

However on the other 2 XP computers, the network GRADY is found—but I get a
“Network path not found” error message when I attempt to expand GRADY to see
the computers. The fourth computer is using VISTA- it only sees itself.

All computers get Internet access. I am able to "ping" the other 3 computers
from each of the machines- they just do not show up in Windows Explorer. I
have turned firewalls OFF. Router has default settings-DHCP on.

I have done something—but I am out of ideas. Any help?

=?Utf-8?B?QnVyZ2VyMjM=?=

Re: Missing Computers
Thanks for the reply-- a lot of info in links. I will wade through it. But in
the meantime, I am curious to learn how a computer can ping OK but not show
up in Windows Explorer Networking?

"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

> If other computer can't see the Vista, make sure the NetBIOS over TCP/IP is enabled. This link may help too,
>
> Vista issuesI have the same problem - new machine with Windows Vista Business pre-installed. ... Netbios is fully enabled in Vista but nothing I do lets . ...
> http://www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistanetissues.htm
>

> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> "Burger23" <Burger23@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7260D404-7896-4C4F-946E-94AF7D8AA3EA@microsoft.com...
> I have a small home network with 4 computers. My network has been working
> fine- until yesterday. I can no longer access 3 of my 4 computers using
> Windows Explorer. One XP computer works fine. Using Windows Explorer its
> finds the network, named GRADY, and displays all 4 computers.
>
> However on the other 2 XP computers, the network GRADY is found—but I get a
> “Network path not found” error message when I attempt to expand GRADY to see
> the computers. The fourth computer is using VISTA- it only sees itself.
>
> All computers get Internet access. I am able to "ping" the other 3 computers
> from each of the machines- they just do not show up in Windows Explorer. I
> have turned firewalls OFF. Router has default settings-DHCP on.
>
> I have done something—but I am out of ideas. Any help?

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Missing Computers
If you enable ping in the firewall but not enable sharing, you can ping the remote computer but not access it. If you enable sharing, you may be able to access it but you may not be able to browse it if you have name resolution issue or computer issue. posting back the system error with net view \\remotepcip may help.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Burger23" <Burger23@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2B548F9B-EEE5-40D6-9FA3-F41365D64E3A@microsoft.com...
Thanks for the reply-- a lot of info in links. I will wade through it. But in
the meantime, I am curious to learn how a computer can ping OK but not show
up in Windows Explorer Networking?

"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

> If other computer can't see the Vista, make sure the NetBIOS over TCP/IP is enabled. This link may help too,
>
> Vista issuesI have the same problem - new machine with Windows Vista Business pre-installed. ... Netbios is fully enabled in Vista but nothing I do lets . ...
> http://www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistanetissues.htm
>

> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> "Burger23" <Burger23@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7260D404-7896-4C4F-946E-94AF7D8AA3EA@microsoft.com...
> I have a small home network with 4 computers. My network has been working
> fine- until yesterday. I can no longer access 3 of my 4 computers using
> Windows Explorer. One XP computer works fine. Using Windows Explorer its
> finds the network, named GRADY, and displays all 4 computers.
>
> However on the other 2 XP computers, the network GRADY is found—but I get a
> “Network path not found” error message when I attempt to expand GRADY to see
> the computers. The fourth computer is using VISTA- it only sees itself.
>
> All computers get Internet access. I am able to "ping" the other 3 computers
> from each of the machines- they just do not show up in Windows Explorer. I
> have turned firewalls OFF. Router has default settings-DHCP on.
>
> I have done something—but I am out of ideas. Any help?

=?Utf-8?B?QnVyZ2VyMjM=?=

Re: Missing Computers
Thanks for replying, Rob-

First, could you direct me to links that explain net view \\remotepcip. I
googled it and found a lot of incomplete info. I am not familiar with it.
Thank you so much.

Second, after spending literally hours rebooting all computers, several hard
router reboots, I was ready to borrow a router and try swapping routers,
replace CAT5 cables, etc. Then I left my home today for a few hours and when
I returned and slkcted Network everything showed up! No one else was home- go
figure. The whole scenerio made absolutely no sense to me- oh, well- it all
works now. But please provide some info on \\remotetcip.

Thanks again

"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

> If you enable ping in the firewall but not enable sharing, you can ping the remote computer but not access it. If you enable sharing, you may be able to access it but you may not be able to browse it if you have name resolution issue or computer issue. posting back the system error with net view \\remotepcip may help.
>
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> "Burger23" <Burger23@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2B548F9B-EEE5-40D6-9FA3-F41365D64E3A@microsoft.com...
> Thanks for the reply-- a lot of info in links. I will wade through it. But in
> the meantime, I am curious to learn how a computer can ping OK but not show
> up in Windows Explorer Networking?
>
> "Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:
>
> > If other computer can't see the Vista, make sure the NetBIOS over TCP/IP is enabled. This link may help too,
> >
> > Vista issuesI have the same problem - new machine with Windows Vista Business pre-installed. ... Netbios is fully enabled in Vista but nothing I do lets . ...
> > http://www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistanetissues.htm
> >

> > Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> > Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> > How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> > "Burger23" <Burger23@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7260D404-7896-4C4F-946E-94AF7D8AA3EA@microsoft.com...
> > I have a small home network with 4 computers. My network has been working
> > fine- until yesterday. I can no longer access 3 of my 4 computers using
> > Windows Explorer. One XP computer works fine. Using Windows Explorer its
> > finds the network, named GRADY, and displays all 4 computers.
> >
> > However on the other 2 XP computers, the network GRADY is found—but I get a
> > “Network path not found” error message when I attempt to expand GRADY to see
> > the computers. The fourth computer is using VISTA- it only sees itself.
> >
> > All computers get Internet access. I am able to "ping" the other 3 computers
> > from each of the machines- they just do not show up in Windows Explorer. I
> > have turned firewalls OFF. Router has default settings-DHCP on.
> >
> > I have done something—but I am out of ideas. Any help?

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Missing Computers
Thank you for the update. remotepcip is the remote computer you try to access, for example the remote computer ip is 192.168.1.2, do this: net view\\192.168.1.2. Or this how to may help,

Use net view to troubleshoot errorsHow to use the net view command to view a list of computer or network resources. The net view command is ever useful network troubleshooting utility. ...
http://www.howtonetworking.com/netviewerrors.htm

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Burger23" <Burger23@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C3B6586E-B017-4AFC-BBB6-BE3E28B4A33A@microsoft.com...
> [...]

> > I have a small home network with 4 computers. My network has been working
> > fine- until yesterday. I can no longer access 3 of my 4 computers using
> > Windows Explorer. One XP computer works fine. Using Windows Explorer its
> > finds the network, named GRADY, and displays all 4 computers.
> >
> > However on the other 2 XP computers, the network GRADY is found—but I get a
> > “Network path not found” error message when I attempt to expand GRADY to see
> > the computers. The fourth computer is using VISTA- it only sees itself.
> >
> > All computers get Internet access. I am able to "ping" the other 3 computers
> > from each of the machines- they just do not show up in Windows Explorer. I
> > have turned firewalls OFF. Router has default settings-DHCP on.
> >
> > I have done something—but I am out of ideas. Any help?

Thanks- I'll add net view to my bag of tricks