Connecting to Vista Home from Win98

Jack B. Pollack

Connecting to Vista Home from Win98
Just added a new Vista (Home Premium) computer to my peer to peer network (2
Win XP Pro computers, 1 Win 98 computer, 1 Mac OSX computer). All computers
can access each others resources in both directions except the new Vista
computer.

I was able to get the Vista computer to connect to the Win98 shares by
modifying the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Lsa

Changed MCompatibilityLevel from 3 to 1

I can see the Vista computer in the network neighborhood of the Win98
machine, but can't see or connect to its
shared folders.

- Vista computer CAN access the internet
- All computers are part of the same workgroup
- All firewalls are (temporarily) turned off
-I am logging into the Vista computer with the same username & PW that I
used
on all other computers.
-Vista is set to private network, file sharing is ON, require PW is off
(tried it with on also)
- Shared folders on Vista have full access permissions for the user I am
logging into the Win98 machine with (also tried granting access to
"everyone").

When I try to connect to the Vista shares from the Win98 machine I get the
IPC login screen and a password box, but login is denied and I get a
"permission denied" message.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Connecting to Vista Home from Win98
Try to create an identical user on all computers. This link may help,

Vista common issue - can see but access
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums/viewforum.php?f=3

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Jack B. Pollack" <N@NE.nothing> wrote in message news:%23YgqBFeZHHA.3272@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
[...]

Rusty H

Re: Connecting to Vista Home from Win98
Steve Winograd (MVP) helped me get 98SE working with VISTA Home Premium a
while back.

I had to install DSClient on the Win98 -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/288358/

Then enable NTLM 2 on the 98 PC - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/239869

I'm not using password protected sharing on VISTA - haven't tried it with PW
protection on.
(I testesd this on VISTA Ultimate RC1, but could not get it to work - don't
know if it works with Ultimate production release)