XP and Vista networking....again

=?Utf-8?B?dG9ueQ==?=

XP and Vista networking....again
Ok, from all the threads below...im still confused and at square 1....

I have a XP Desktop PC connected to a DSL wireless router via Ethernet
Cable...
I also now have a Vista Laptop that connects to the wireless router.

On the vista machine, i have turned on Network Discovery, File Sharing,
Public Folder Sharing, Printer Sharing. Turned off Password Protected
Sharing, and Media Sharing.

What steps do i need to take to allow these two computers to see eachother
and communicate, file share, printer share....etc.

i have tried everything i can think of with the two machines and still can
not figure this out....

does anyone have some step by step instructions...

do i need to create a workgroup on the XP machine, or the Vista machine?
Do i need to create the same user accounts on both machines?

i need some serious help please.

thanks all
Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: XP and Vista networking....again
You need to assign permissions or create identical user on both computers. This link may help,

Vista common issue - can see but access
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums/viewforum.php?f=3

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"tony" <tony@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B1FA2484-4D05-46C6-859A-2279AF356725@microsoft.com...
[...]

Keith D

REPLY:-: XP and Vista networking....again

> do i need to create a workgroup on the XP machine, or the Vista machine?
> Do i need to create the same user accounts on both machines?
>
> i need some serious help please.
>
> thanks all

Hi

Try this

first in just the XP computer download and install this file from
the url below or the XP computer cannot be seen by the network map
in the vista machine

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...ayLang=ensorry

secondly

down load the free trial version of this install in both machines

http://www.networkmagic.com/download/

then run the add add a devise to my network
from under the network tasks icon in both computers

i think this will help you on the way

cheers for now

Keith D.

Tom Allen

Re: XP and Vista networking....again
as you seem to have created the infrastructure I hesitate to ask the
obvious but
1. Have you actually created any shares ?
2. Can you see the Public folder (or anything) on the Vista machine by
expanding 'Network' in Windows Explorer on the XP machine ?
3. Have you attempted to map any network drives to any shared folders on
either machine ?
4. Have you checked that Client for MS Networks and File and Printer
Sharing are enabled in the properties of the connection in Network
Connections on the XP machine ?

Apologies if you have answered such questions in other threads.

In trepidation
Tom

"tony" <tony@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Ok, from all the threads below...im still confused and at square 1....
>
> I have a XP Desktop PC connected to a DSL wireless router via Ethernet
> Cable...
> I also now have a Vista Laptop that connects to the wireless router.
>
> On the vista machine, i have turned on Network Discovery, File
> Sharing,
> Public Folder Sharing, Printer Sharing. Turned off Password Protected
> Sharing, and Media Sharing.
>
> What steps do i need to take to allow these two computers to see
> eachother
> and communicate, file share, printer share....etc.
>
> i have tried everything i can think of with the two machines and still
> can
> not figure this out....
>
> does anyone have some step by step instructions...
>
> do i need to create a workgroup on the XP machine, or the Vista
> machine?
> Do i need to create the same user accounts on both machines?
>
> i need some serious help please.
>
> thanks all

=?Utf-8?B?dG9ueQ==?=

Re: XP and Vista networking....again
> 1. Have you actually created any shares ?

yes, on the Vista machine, i click the link in the Network page that says:
"show the shares located on this computer" and i can see several files and
printers...i even created a "testshare" folder on the desktop which i had to
do the "advance share option" just to get it to share.....

> 2. Can you see the Public folder (or anything) on the Vista machine by
> expanding 'Network' in Windows Explorer on the XP machine ?

No, that is where i am lost.... i can not see the laptop, nor any shares on
that machine..... but this XP machine has Symantec and McAfee.....ive tried
shutting those down and in McAfee allwoing "windows file sharing"...but could
those still be blocking and outsiders in?

> 3. Have you attempted to map any network drives to any shared folders on
> either machine ?

I tried creating several workgroups to try to join, but NO, i did not
actually map any network drives to any folders becuase i cant see
anything...on the Vista machine, from the XP...

> 4. Have you checked that Client for MS Networks and File and Printer
> Sharing are enabled in the properties of the connection in Network
> Connections on the XP machine ?

Yes.

> Apologies if you have answered such questions in other threads.
>
> In trepidation
> Tom
>
> "tony" <tony@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Ok, from all the threads below...im still confused and at square 1....
> >
> > I have a XP Desktop PC connected to a DSL wireless router via Ethernet
> > Cable...
> > I also now have a Vista Laptop that connects to the wireless router.
> >
> > On the vista machine, i have turned on Network Discovery, File
> > Sharing,
> > Public Folder Sharing, Printer Sharing. Turned off Password Protected
> > Sharing, and Media Sharing.
> >
> > What steps do i need to take to allow these two computers to see
> > eachother
> > and communicate, file share, printer share....etc.
> >
> > i have tried everything i can think of with the two machines and still
> > can
> > not figure this out....
> >
> > does anyone have some step by step instructions...
> >
> > do i need to create a workgroup on the XP machine, or the Vista
> > machine?
> > Do i need to create the same user accounts on both machines?
> >
> > i need some serious help please.
> >
> > thanks all

=?Utf-8?B?S2ltIFtNU10=?=

Re: XP and Vista networking....again
Tony,

I'm sorry you're experiencing trouble. You said in your original post that
you turned Password Protected Sharing to OFF. It should be ON. Please run a
quick check of the following:
- Ensure every machine is in the same workgroup and same subnet
- Ensure only one firewall is enabled per machine
- Set Network Category to Home/Work (Private)
- Ensure every user account has a non-empty password
- Create the same user account (with the same password) on all machines
- Ensure password protected sharing is ON
- Use 'Sharing Wizard' to create/manage shares

Please post back with the result.

Thanks