Slow LAN speed and computer locking up

Adz06

Slow LAN speed and computer locking up
Hi

I've recentely bought a Qnap TS-109 NAS Sever.

I am trying to copy all my bideo and music files over to it, however, as
soon as I sart a transfer (either throught windows explorer or FTP) my
computer slows to a crawl. Basically videos and music become juddery, my
mouse and keyboard become very slow etc.

Also I only seem to get about 3.5 MBPS when transfering files. Im on a
100mbps lan, my maths says that says thats a maximum of 12.5 MBPS, I know
there are overheads but it should still be faster? Infact streming videos
from the NAS server to my computer is worse that streaming them via my 54mbps
wireless connection to my PS3.

Is there something wrong with my setup? I am using two devolo highspeed home
plugs between my pc and router, although my pc still says its connected at
100mbps and the homeplugs say they are linked at 100mbps.

THanks in advance for any help!
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Slow LAN speed and computer locking up
Try to disable auto tuning. Please post back with the result.

Vista IPCONFIG and Network SettingsHow to disable Auto-tuning on Windows
Vista · How to disable TCP/IPv6 · How to remove IPv6 and Tunnel completely
on Vista ...
www.howtonetworking.com/vista/vistaipconfig.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
"Adz06" <Adz06@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I've recentely bought a Qnap TS-109 NAS Sever.
>
> I am trying to copy all my bideo and music files over to it, however, as
> soon as I sart a transfer (either throught windows explorer or FTP) my
> computer slows to a crawl. Basically videos and music become juddery, my
> mouse and keyboard become very slow etc.
>
> Also I only seem to get about 3.5 MBPS when transfering files. Im on a
> 100mbps lan, my maths says that says thats a maximum of 12.5 MBPS, I know
> there are overheads but it should still be faster? Infact streming videos
> from the NAS server to my computer is worse that streaming them via my
> 54mbps
> wireless connection to my PS3.
>
> Is there something wrong with my setup? I am using two devolo highspeed
> home
> plugs between my pc and router, although my pc still says its connected at
> 100mbps and the homeplugs say they are linked at 100mbps.
>
> THanks in advance for any help!

Adz06

Re: Slow LAN speed and computer locking up
Hi

Thanks for your help.

I've tried that and still the same.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Try to disable auto tuning. Please post back with the result.
>
> Vista IPCONFIG and Network SettingsHow to disable Auto-tuning on Windows
> Vista · How to disable TCP/IPv6 · How to remove IPv6 and Tunnel completely
> on Vista ...
> www.howtonetworking.com/vista/vistaipconfig.htm
>

> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> "Adz06" <Adz06@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi
> >
> > I've recentely bought a Qnap TS-109 NAS Sever.
> >
> > I am trying to copy all my bideo and music files over to it, however, as
> > soon as I sart a transfer (either throught windows explorer or FTP) my
> > computer slows to a crawl. Basically videos and music become juddery, my
> > mouse and keyboard become very slow etc.
> >
> > Also I only seem to get about 3.5 MBPS when transfering files. Im on a
> > 100mbps lan, my maths says that says thats a maximum of 12.5 MBPS, I know
> > there are overheads but it should still be faster? Infact streming videos
> > from the NAS server to my computer is worse that streaming them via my
> > 54mbps
> > wireless connection to my PS3.
> >
> > Is there something wrong with my setup? I am using two devolo highspeed
> > home
> > plugs between my pc and router, although my pc still says its connected at
> > 100mbps and the homeplugs say they are linked at 100mbps.
> >
> > THanks in advance for any help!

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Slow LAN speed and computer locking up
Also try to disable IPv6. or this link may help too.

Vista Slow IssuesVista business slow accessing domain resources ... I have a
mix of machines running on an SBS domain. (XP, Mac, and Vista > > business)
Two are Vista . ...
www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistaslow.htm

--
> Hi
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> I've tried that and still the same.
>
> Any other ideas?
>
> Thanks
>
> "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> Try to disable auto tuning. Please post back with the result.
>>
>> Vista IPCONFIG and Network SettingsHow to disable Auto-tuning on Windows
>> Vista · How to disable TCP/IPv6 · How to remove IPv6 and Tunnel
>> completely
>> on Vista ...
>> www.howtonetworking.com/vista/vistaipconfig.htm
>>

>> --
>> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
>> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
>> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>> "Adz06" <Adz06@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi
>> >
>> > I've recentely bought a Qnap TS-109 NAS Sever.
>> >
>> > I am trying to copy all my bideo and music files over to it, however,
>> > as
>> > soon as I sart a transfer (either throught windows explorer or FTP) my
>> > computer slows to a crawl. Basically videos and music become juddery,
>> > my
>> > mouse and keyboard become very slow etc.
>> >
>> > Also I only seem to get about 3.5 MBPS when transfering files. Im on a
>> > 100mbps lan, my maths says that says thats a maximum of 12.5 MBPS, I
>> > know
>> > there are overheads but it should still be faster? Infact streming
>> > videos
>> > from the NAS server to my computer is worse that streaming them via my
>> > 54mbps
>> > wireless connection to my PS3.
>> >
>> > Is there something wrong with my setup? I am using two devolo highspeed
>> > home
>> > plugs between my pc and router, although my pc still says its connected
>> > at
>> > 100mbps and the homeplugs say they are linked at 100mbps.
>> >
>> > THanks in advance for any help!

avinash_rajput5

Re: Slow LAN speed and computer locking up

thanks it was really helpful**

--
avinash_rajput5