Windows Vista RC1 can't see my router

=?Utf-8?B?TWluYXlvd2l0eg==?=

Windows Vista RC1 can't see my router
Hi folks.

I recently purchased a Creative/Broadsenx Broadband Blaster DSL router for
use with my Vista PC through the ethernet port. There are no other pc's
attached to the network, nor third party software installed and I even have
turned off the windows firewall, but to no avail. Windows senses that the
device is there but it seems unable to communicate with it. I have assigned
manually IP addresses to both the router and the computer to make sure that
they are in the same network and made sure Vista understands it is in a
private network. Still no luck. The Ipconfig command reveals some IP
information (mostly unintelligible to me) about the router but when I tried
to ping it using its home address at 192.168.1.1 but the dreaded "host is
unreachable" message appears. My guess is that the new TCP/IP protocol stack
in windows vista is making my life difficult since the router works perfectly
under Windows XP. When trying the "diagnose wizard" Vista points the finger
at the router but the solutions it proposes again doesn't work. Any ideas
would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Keith D

Re: Windows Vista RC1 can't see my router

Hi

This should find and install it

http://www.networkmagic.com/download/

cheers

K/

> I recently purchased a Creative/Broadsenx Broadband Blaster DSL router for
> use with my Vista PC through the ethernet port. There are no other pc's
> attached to the network, nor third party software installed and I even
> have
> turned off the windows firewall, but to no avail. Windows senses that the
> device is there but it seems unable to communicate with it. I have
> assigned
> manually IP addresses to both the router and the computer to make sure
> that
> they are in the same network and made sure Vista understands it is in a
> private network. Still no luck. The Ipconfig command reveals some IP
> information (mostly unintelligible to me) about the router but when I
> tried
> to ping it using its home address at 192.168.1.1 but the dreaded "host is
> unreachable" message appears. My guess is that the new TCP/IP protocol
> stack
> in windows vista is making my life difficult since the router works
> perfectly
> under Windows XP. When trying the "diagnose wizard" Vista points the
> finger
> at the router but the solutions it proposes again doesn't work. Any ideas
> would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

=?Utf-8?B?TWluYXlvd2l0eg==?=

Re: Windows Vista RC1 can't see my router
Many thanks to Keith for his support. I certainly did not expect such a quick
response. I'm certainly going to follow his suggestion and see if my troubles
are finally over.

In any event, the situation is less desperate now than it was when I first
posted. I forgot to mention that my router has also an USB connection and it
turned out, against my expectations, that the USB driver is
forward-compatible with windows Vista. Since I installed it is running
without a hitch. Not bad, I suppose, for an old modem router which only costs
me $30.

Unfortunately, now I'm too scared to go back to the ethernet port in case
things got screwed up again. I will however take the risk for the progress of
science. I will report back in due course. It really shouldn't be that
difficult....

"Keith D" wrote:

> Hi
>
> This should find and install it
>
> http://www.networkmagic.com/download/
>
> cheers
>
> K/
>

> > I recently purchased a Creative/Broadsenx Broadband Blaster DSL router for
> > use with my Vista PC through the ethernet port. There are no other pc's
> > attached to the network, nor third party software installed and I even
> > have
> > turned off the windows firewall, but to no avail. Windows senses that the
> > device is there but it seems unable to communicate with it. I have
> > assigned
> > manually IP addresses to both the router and the computer to make sure
> > that
> > they are in the same network and made sure Vista understands it is in a
> > private network. Still no luck. The Ipconfig command reveals some IP
> > information (mostly unintelligible to me) about the router but when I
> > tried
> > to ping it using its home address at 192.168.1.1 but the dreaded "host is
> > unreachable" message appears. My guess is that the new TCP/IP protocol
> > stack
> > in windows vista is making my life difficult since the router works
> > perfectly
> > under Windows XP. When trying the "diagnose wizard" Vista points the
> > finger
> > at the router but the solutions it proposes again doesn't work. Any ideas
> > would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

=?Utf-8?B?S2ltIFtNU10=?=

Re: Windows Vista RC1 can't see my router
Minayowitz,

Please move to the final version of Vista.