Sharing Documents folder on Vista with XP

NickR

Sharing Documents folder on Vista with XP
I have a Vista notebook on a wireless network with an XP pc. I have no
problem seeing from the Vista any files on my pc that are declared to be
shared. The same is true for the files on my Vista with one exception and
that is the sub-folder of the Users folder that contains my Documents,
Pictures, Videos etc. That is the only folder that generates a"permission
denied" message. It is declared to be Shared and the permissions include
Everyone. I am at a total loss as to how to solve this.
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Sharing Documents folder on Vista with XP
You may try to turn off the simple file sharing first. Or this post may
help.

Can't access to My Documents
http://chicagotech.net/netforums/viewtopic.php?t=3588

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
"NickR" <NickR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a Vista notebook on a wireless network with an XP pc. I have no
> problem seeing from the Vista any files on my pc that are declared to be
> shared. The same is true for the files on my Vista with one exception and
> that is the sub-folder of the Users folder that contains my Documents,
> Pictures, Videos etc. That is the only folder that generates a"permission
> denied" message. It is declared to be Shared and the permissions include
> Everyone. I am at a total loss as to how to solve this.

NickR

Re: Sharing Documents folder on Vista with XP
Thanks although I did not find that link to be very useful.Actually I finally
solved the problem. For my pesky Vista folder I went to Properties >
Security. There is an EDIT button which actually allows you to add as well.
So I added EVERYONE. When I clicked on Apply I got a whole stream of messages
referring to every sub-folder and saying something about being unable to set
the security for that folder. Whatever that meant, I can now see all my files
from the XP :-)
It is quite shocking to see the number of posts dealing with similar
frustrations with Vista. What a Dog!

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> You may try to turn off the simple file sharing first. Or this post may
> help.
>
> Can't access to My Documents
> http://chicagotech.net/netforums/viewtopic.php?t=3588
>

> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> "NickR" <NickR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a Vista notebook on a wireless network with an XP pc. I have no
> > problem seeing from the Vista any files on my pc that are declared to be
> > shared. The same is true for the files on my Vista with one exception and
> > that is the sub-folder of the Users folder that contains my Documents,
> > Pictures, Videos etc. That is the only folder that generates a"permission
> > denied" message. It is declared to be Shared and the permissions include
> > Everyone. I am at a total loss as to how to solve this.

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Sharing Documents folder on Vista with XP
One of the posts in the link does suggest to add everyone. Thank you for the
update.