Vista Business and thin (coax) ethernet

=?Utf-8?B?VHJhdmVsbGVyX2Fncg==?=

Vista Business and thin (coax) ethernet
We have a small network cat5 linked with a small segment running along coax
thin ethernet (for distnace reasons) at the end of this is a machine running
XP quite happily. We have just replaced a machine in the middle of this
segment with a new one running Vista Business. As we couldn't find any Vista
drivers for the Linksys II dual coax, RJ45 card we had, we are using a bulk
standard 10/100 card, with an old D-link media converter to convert the
'coax' ethernet to 'cat5'. If we plug an XP machine onto this we get full
communication, if we put the new machine with Vista we get 'network cable
unplugged' if we take the Vista machine to the hub and plug it directly into
the hub, we get networking. I tried disabling TCP v6 and just leaviing 4 to
no avail. Any suggestions....Help :-))

Michael

Re: Vista Business and thin (coax) ethernet
Some cards can do an automatic cross-over as necessary, some don't. Possibly
your bulk 10/100 card cannot do autosense while the one in the XP machine
can. Connecting with a crossover cable might be worth a try.

Michael

"Traveller_agr" <Traveller_agr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We have a small network cat5 linked with a small segment running along
> coax
> thin ethernet (for distnace reasons) at the end of this is a machine
> running
> XP quite happily. We have just replaced a machine in the middle of this
> segment with a new one running Vista Business. As we couldn't find any
> Vista
> drivers for the Linksys II dual coax, RJ45 card we had, we are using a
> bulk
> standard 10/100 card, with an old D-link media converter to convert the
> 'coax' ethernet to 'cat5'. If we plug an XP machine onto this we get full
> communication, if we put the new machine with Vista we get 'network cable
> unplugged' if we take the Vista machine to the hub and plug it directly
> into
> the hub, we get networking. I tried disabling TCP v6 and just leaviing 4
> no avail. Any suggestions....Help :-))

Steve Urbach

Re: Vista Business and thin (coax) ethernet
On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 17:16:08 -0700, Traveller_agr
<Traveller_agr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>We have a small network cat5 linked with a small segment running along coax
>thin ethernet (for distnace reasons) at the end of this is a machine running
>XP quite happily. We have just replaced a machine in the middle of this
>segment with a new one running Vista Business. As we couldn't find any Vista
>drivers for the Linksys II dual coax, RJ45 card we had, we are using a bulk
>standard 10/100 card, with an old D-link media converter to convert the
>'coax' ethernet to 'cat5'. If we plug an XP machine onto this we get full
>communication, if we put the new machine with Vista we get 'network cable
>unplugged' if we take the Vista machine to the hub and plug it directly into
>the hub, we get networking. I tried disabling TCP v6 and just leaviing 4 to
>no avail. Any suggestions....Help :-))

You are using an AUI port?
The RG59 connector (thin coax) is called 10base2. (200 Meters).
Use a "repeater" (Ethernet extender) at the CAT5e 100M point and you
should be able to bump up your speed to 100MBPS.

=?Utf-8?B?VHJhdmVsbGVyX2Fncg==?=

Re: Vista Business and thin (coax) ethernet
Hi Michael

Thank you so much for your response, you were spot on!! Put in a crossover
cable and instant network!

Thank you so much!

Traveller_agr

"Michael" wrote:

> Some cards can do an automatic cross-over as necessary, some don't. Possibly
> your bulk 10/100 card cannot do autosense while the one in the XP machine
> can. Connecting with a crossover cable might be worth a try.
>
> Michael
>
> "Traveller_agr" <Traveller_agr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > We have a small network cat5 linked with a small segment running along
> > coax
> > thin ethernet (for distnace reasons) at the end of this is a machine
> > running
> > XP quite happily. We have just replaced a machine in the middle of this
> > segment with a new one running Vista Business. As we couldn't find any
> > Vista
> > drivers for the Linksys II dual coax, RJ45 card we had, we are using a
> > bulk
> > standard 10/100 card, with an old D-link media converter to convert the
> > 'coax' ethernet to 'cat5'. If we plug an XP machine onto this we get full
> > communication, if we put the new machine with Vista we get 'network cable
> > unplugged' if we take the Vista machine to the hub and plug it directly
> > into
> > the hub, we get networking. I tried disabling TCP v6 and just leaviing 4
> > no avail. Any suggestions....Help :-))

=?Utf-8?B?VHJhdmVsbGVyX2Fncg==?=

Re: Vista Business and thin (coax) ethernet
Hi Steve

Thank you for the reply. In an ideal world we would have put cat5e cable in,
but we had to bury a cable of 150 meters under a lawn flower bed and church
car park, with no facilities to power a repeater hald way along. Hence the
thin ethernet. We have more recently considered an wifi bridge, but can't get
anywhere near a line of site and as this carries church stuff, people become
very sensitive if they think that others might be able to hack into a wider
broadcast wifi signal. So it looks like we'll have to put up with 10 mips for
the moment. As you may have seen, Michale suggested we try a crossover cable,
which has sorted it, and we are back onliine.

Thanks again.

Traveller_agr

"Steve Urbach" wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 17:16:08 -0700, Traveller_agr
> <Traveller_agr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >We have a small network cat5 linked with a small segment running along coax
> >thin ethernet (for distnace reasons) at the end of this is a machine running
> >XP quite happily. We have just replaced a machine in the middle of this
> >segment with a new one running Vista Business. As we couldn't find any Vista
> >drivers for the Linksys II dual coax, RJ45 card we had, we are using a bulk
> >standard 10/100 card, with an old D-link media converter to convert the
> >'coax' ethernet to 'cat5'. If we plug an XP machine onto this we get full
> >communication, if we put the new machine with Vista we get 'network cable
> >unplugged' if we take the Vista machine to the hub and plug it directly into
> >the hub, we get networking. I tried disabling TCP v6 and just leaviing 4 to
> >no avail. Any suggestions....Help :-))

> You are using an AUI port?
> The RG59 connector (thin coax) is called 10base2. (200 Meters).
> Use a "repeater" (Ethernet extender) at the CAT5e 100M point and you
> should be able to bump up your speed to 100MBPS.

Michael

Re: Vista Business and thin (coax) ethernet
Glad to have been of help.

> Hi Michael
>
> Thank you so much for your response, you were spot on!! Put in a crossover
> cable and instant network!
>
> Thank you so much!
>
> Traveller_agr
>
> "Michael" wrote:
>
>> Some cards can do an automatic cross-over as necessary, some don't.
>> Possibly
>> your bulk 10/100 card cannot do autosense while the one in the XP machine
>> can. Connecting with a crossover cable might be worth a try.
>>
>> Michael
>>
>> "Traveller_agr" <Traveller_agr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message
>> > We have a small network cat5 linked with a small segment running along
>> > coax
>> > thin ethernet (for distnace reasons) at the end of this is a machine
>> > running
>> > XP quite happily. We have just replaced a machine in the middle of this
>> > segment with a new one running Vista Business. As we couldn't find any
>> > Vista
>> > drivers for the Linksys II dual coax, RJ45 card we had, we are using a
>> > bulk
>> > standard 10/100 card, with an old D-link media converter to convert the
>> > 'coax' ethernet to 'cat5'. If we plug an XP machine onto this we get
>> > full
>> > communication, if we put the new machine with Vista we get 'network
>> > cable
>> > unplugged' if we take the Vista machine to the hub and plug it directly
>> > into
>> > the hub, we get networking. I tried disabling TCP v6 and just leaviing
>> > 4
>> > no avail. Any suggestions....Help :-))

Steve Urbach

Re: Vista Business and thin (coax) ethernet
On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 16:01:16 -0700, Traveller_agr
<Travelleragr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi Steve
>
>Thank you for the reply. In an ideal world we would have put cat5e cable in,
>but we had to bury a cable of 150 meters under a lawn flower bed and church
>car park, with no facilities to power a repeater hald way along. Hence the
>thin ethernet. We have more recently considered an wifi bridge, but can't get
>anywhere near a line of site and as this carries church stuff, people become
>very sensitive if they think that others might be able to hack into a wider
>broadcast wifi signal. So it looks like we'll have to put up with 10 mips for
>the moment. As you may have seen, Michale suggested we try a crossover cable,
>which has sorted it, and we are back onliine.
>
>Thanks again.
>
>Traveller_agr

Car Park and Lawn, Yikes.
Talk about Squash and soak.

OPTICAL (fibre) in thick duct and or deep should make all happy about
security.

WiFi set MAC access in both units to ONLY each other and use the
strongest encryption. Use a Yagi antenna with the WiFi unit in outdoor
enclosures . Put one unit in the Bell tower (you have a Bell tower?)
looking down. Use POE (if about 30 M from the "power injector" to
power the A/P.

Glad you got it sorted out.

Steve